Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Does he have a bit on the side?

(176 Posts)
NannieJulie Thu 01-Dec-16 22:49:51

Hubbie has been the nicest to me lately than all our married life. I put it down to the fact that he was getting wiser with age! Yesterday i found something on the floor where he gets changed. It was a torn off piece of cardboard that you get on a new bra with hanger and on the back was 'spirit' jaquered lace back in cream written in my husbands hand writing. I can 100% say this was not something he would be buying me for Xmas. My thoughts are he is buying it for someone else. What would you think and do?

shysal Tue 13-Dec-16 15:05:26

Do you have joint accounts? If you have a debit card but no access to the internet banking site, you could go into a bank and get a statement printed off. Even withdraw half the money if you are worried, then open a personal account for this and your earnings. I would be extremely anxious in your position. Look after yourself. flowers

aggie Tue 13-Dec-16 15:11:27

Use the 3k to open your own account , and top up from the joint account , then confront the B.....d

Christinefrance Tue 13-Dec-16 15:28:55

Yes, time to put the emotions to one side and be practical. I agree with aggie sort out the finances and then confront him. You need to talk to your family at some point but get the finances in place in case someone alerts him. Sorry to bang on about money but financial security will at least make the future more bearable for you.

grannyactivist Tue 13-Dec-16 16:28:41

What a dreadfully sad situation to be in NannieJulie - lots of good advice already given so I can only add some flowers and a (((hug))).

judypark Tue 13-Dec-16 17:41:43

3K hidden in drawer? Could be for a bond deposit on a flat? Some landlords demand this in cash. I would take a photo of this too.
NannieJulie, I admire your calmness and strength, but what I have not read is do you still love him? I'm sorry if that's a very personal question so please do not answer if you do not wish to.

Fairydoll2030 Tue 13-Dec-16 17:41:51

When you say the bank statements are online, do you mean his personal account or is it a joint one? If the latter then, as someone's already pointed out, you can obtain statements from the bank directly. However if the account is in his name only, then you won't find out anything. I suspect the 3k has been withdrawn so he doesn't need to use a debit/credit card for transactions. In other words there will be no trace of what he spends it on - and that is very suspicious.
Please don't hang back for too long.

Luckygirl Tue 13-Dec-16 17:49:25

I find all this rather odd - this talk of solicitors and getting some money into a separate account etc. when the OP does not even know if her OH is up to something or not - how daft it will all seem if there is some reasonable explanation.

There seems to be a complete absence of emotion here - if you do not love this guy, then do you really mind if he is getting a bit on the side, as long as your finances are secure?

I am puzzled.

starbird Tue 13-Dec-16 17:52:29

He must be very naive to hide money in a drawer. Now that it has come to this, it diesn't make any sense not to confront him immediately. If your suspicions are proved correct you can ask him to move out and still give your Christmas visitors a nice time.

judypark Tue 13-Dec-16 17:52:56

Wise words from Fairydoll2030

MiniMouse Tue 13-Dec-16 18:03:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Stansgran Tue 13-Dec-16 18:10:24

I suggest you look for advice on Mumsnet. They are much more on the ball in this sort of situation.

Fairydoll2030 Tue 13-Dec-16 19:00:14

We are getting far down the road here but MiniMouse your info is incorrect!

You cannot sell a house without your spouse's knowledge if you are joint owners!
Even is the house is solely in your spouse's name, you can issue a Matrimonial Home Rights Notice (through the Land Registry - a solicitor will advise), which can prevent him/her selling or remortgaging the property without your knowledge.

Coolgran65 Tue 13-Dec-16 19:06:17

If a house is in joint names then both signatures would e be required for a sale. One party can not sell it.

MiniMouse Tue 13-Dec-16 19:16:45

Fairydoll2030 I'm happy to be corrected! I remember my ex-H's solicitor requesting me to sign something to change our joint tenancy/tenants in common when we were going through divorce proceedings.

MissAdventure Tue 13-Dec-16 19:35:57

Such a difficult time for you, Julie.
Sending kind thoughts to you. Hope the situation is a resolved in whatever way is least painful for you x

moggiek Tue 13-Dec-16 19:47:24

Thinking of you, Julie.

jogginggirl Tue 13-Dec-16 19:50:48

I know it goes against a lot of the advice being given - but I think I would have to know.....?

I feel so sad for you Julie ?

br0adwater Tue 13-Dec-16 20:06:05

flowers

DanniRae Tue 13-Dec-16 20:14:54

I have no advice but I send you flowers xx

br0adwater Sat 24-Dec-16 07:56:39

NannieJulie, sending you love this weekend and hoping you manage to give your loved ones a good Christmas as planned.
flowers

Ankers Sat 24-Dec-16 08:05:36

Having read things like this elsewhere online,it seems highly likely that he is seeing someone else. Sorry.

I also think it is wise to keep one step ahead.

Nana3 Sat 24-Dec-16 08:58:57

I have also been thinking of you Nannie Julie , hope you are alright flowers

Christinefrance Sat 24-Dec-16 09:08:29

Keep your cool this weekend Nanniejulie, we are all thinking of you.flowers

shysal Sat 24-Dec-16 09:37:24

Me too x ! flowers

mumofmadboys Sat 24-Dec-16 10:12:24

And me x