Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Nervous driver

(109 Posts)
rosesarered Wed 07-Dec-16 21:46:15

Am somewhat the same these days.Used to be a happy motorway driver but hate it now.Prefer driving to local towns, and luckily DH loves driving, so does any longer drives.If I was living alone I would get the train or coach to further off places.

Welshwife Wed 07-Dec-16 21:39:23

I am another one in the club! I do drive locally but not far - however last summer OH was rushed to the ITU dept. of a hospital 70 Kms away - so I had to bite the bullet and go - DD was coincidentally staying with me so I was not alone on the drive. I only knew where the town was and not the hospital so the sat-nav was a great help in getting us to the hospital.
I needed to drive quire a bit over that period but once OH was better he wanted to drive again - he is a dreadful passenger ! I was glad though that I had done the driving.

wot Wed 07-Dec-16 20:50:00

I only drive to two little towns near me as too scared to drive into the " city" I didn't actually pass my test until I was 49. I used to be a complete daredevil so I don't what's happened.

cornergran Wed 07-Dec-16 20:46:05

It's not just driving with me, morethan. Since giving up work a year ago my confidence has dropped in most areas of day to day life. I think you have hit the nail on the head by saying it's best not to avoid scary things, set some goals but don't make them too huge. Nothing will be achieved if we set ourselves up to fail! So if I feel under the weather (like now) I reduce my aim accordingly. I try to build up to anything that feels huge with small steps. I know it helps if I remind myself of what has worked well and, without self blame, consider what would have helped if something doesn't quite work out. I have begun to keep a little notebook where I jot down a couple of things each day that I am pleased with. Nothing huge usually but something to help when I have an 'I can't do it' day. I'm getting back some belief that I can do things, most of the time the reality is nowhere as bad as I feared, I am so pleased that I worked out what was happening and didn't just opt out of anything challenging. You sound as if you have a really good approach, so be pleased about that. I'm sure others will have helpful thoughts, for me too. I know you will get there, dont worry, it isn't just you.

Jane10 Wed 07-Dec-16 20:45:01

I'm another whose confidence has taken a dive. I'm not sure if I'll be allowed to go back to driving yet after my knee op. Will just have to make myself get on with it. I won't drive in the dark though.

Greyduster Wed 07-Dec-16 20:41:52

I'm sorry to say I'm exactly the same. I duck out of driving whenever I can. I know when I have no choice I can and will do it, and my problem is not really driving in itself; it is our car. I simply don't like it. At the end of the day, though, I am very glad that it is a skill that I can fall back on, even if I do have to have a man with a red flag walking in front of me! Your determination does you credit, morethan!

tanith Wed 07-Dec-16 20:36:18

morethan2 get yourself a sat nav and use it so that you don't add worrying about the route to your anxiety. Facing up to your fears and making some goals will help I'm sure. I found that I was tending to let OH always drive when we went out together it was nice to sit and be chauffeured around but I had to stop it as I could feel myself not wanting to drive. I hope you overcome your fears and keep your independance.

sara4 Wed 07-Dec-16 20:33:34

I hadn't driven for nearly a year due to ill health. I found a very good lady driving instructor and have had about 5 lessons. Still don't enjoy driving my confidence is still low. I've been driving for 55 years to work and longer distances, I feel I should keep it up in case my DH can't do it and we live in the country.

morethan2 Wed 07-Dec-16 20:04:11

I had to drive somewhere I haven't been to for a few years. I wasn't sure of the route and I knew it would be dark coming back. I was really nervous and anxious. I still went but these feelings of becoming anxious before driving are getting worse over the last year. I wondered if others had these feelings. I'm determined not to let it stop me as a matter of fact I think it's important that I face up these anxieties and perhaps set myself some driving goals but it's scary. Anyone feel the same and how do you cope