Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Christmas tree baubles

(33 Posts)
VivieSov Tue 20-Dec-16 14:24:06

We're hosting our daughter and son-in-law with our 10-month-old grandson who is at the crawling stage and is pulling himself up and walking with a walker. We have downsized and our house has rather small room and no space to raise a Christmas tree above floor level. Do we have a tree this year with the thought that our grandson might hurt himself whilst none of us is looking? Or do we keep all decorations out of reach? This is our first grandchild and I can't remember when our daughter was the same age - in 1980! Thanks grans.

DaphneBroon Tue 20-Dec-16 14:45:36

I would still put a littletree on a table, anything else is a recipe for disaster! Or in a playpen!! Or on the hall table perhaps.
It goes without saying baubles must be of the shatterproof variety.

Teetime Tue 20-Dec-16 14:58:07

I have never restricted my Xmas decorations for my own children, other people children or grandchildren - no-one got hurt. I wonder if we are perhaps a little more anxious around our grandchildren and other peoples children than we were with our own. When I was growing up we had candles alight on the tree - no accidents but I wouldn't do that now.

Jalima Tue 20-Dec-16 15:12:54

We've always had a tree - the only mishap was one year when DD was crawling and the tree we bought from a reputable garden centre was shedding its needles rapidly by Christmas Eve!! Because we didn't want her getting pine needles stuck into her DH rushed out and bought a huge over-priced artificial tree on Christmas Eve afternoon. It did stand us in good stead for about 15 years.

As long as you have non-glass decorations it should be fine - I presume that someone will be in the room with him all the time and it's never too soon to learn 'No, you can look but don't touch'.
It depends how meddlesome he is!

Jalima Tue 20-Dec-16 15:14:11

Beg or borrow a playpen - for the tree, not the baby!

Greyduster Tue 20-Dec-16 16:06:42

Our cat was more of a Christmas tree liability than GS when he was tiny!! She nearly had it over more than once.

Jalima Tue 20-Dec-16 16:09:46

I think I put a link on soop's about cats and trees ..... tchgrin

Of course, I wouldn't recommend using a water pistol on a baby but apparently they are quite effective if used on cats.

Jayanna9040 Tue 20-Dec-16 16:20:03

No grandchildren to worry about now but when my children were little ( after a near disaster involving chewing through the fairy lights!) I had a big tree shaped garland that hung over the fireplace, flat to the wall. You could hang decorations and lights on it but it was safely out of reach!

tiggypiro Tue 20-Dec-16 16:24:37

I have never moved anything out of reach as it is never to early for children to learn what 'No' means.

harrigran Tue 20-Dec-16 16:56:08

DS was one year old a week before Christmas and would keep squashing the baubles so I put the tree in the playpen, only had to do it for one year.

VivieSov Tue 20-Dec-16 17:29:47

Thanks everyone so far. We have some wooden decs, so that's good, and will probably get some more to fill in the gaps, very trendy. And will just have the tree in the hall, I think.

ginny Tue 20-Dec-16 18:56:34

Never worried when mine were small. First was 9 months old et her first Christmas. As others have said he won't be on his own in the room and never to early to learn 'no'. 10 month old DGS has been today and loved looking at the tree but seemed to know not to touch .

rosesarered Tue 20-Dec-16 19:32:44

We never stopped having a tree, either for our own DC or for the DGC....they all survived.

stillaliveandkicking Tue 20-Dec-16 19:53:16

Never stopped having a tree. I just brought my children up with the words "no, don't touch".

J52 Tue 20-Dec-16 20:15:09

We've always had a tree. Before DCs we had two boisterous cats and lived in a house with a wooden beam in the sitting room. We suspended the tree on the beam, changed to unbreakable baubles and when the cats launched themselves at it, it just swung!

With our own small children and GCs we put the tree higher up on a small table. This year GCs are all bigger, so tree is on the floor, up to the ceiling.

rubylady Wed 21-Dec-16 03:54:41

Vivie You'll have to sit on the stairs to open your presents. tchgrin I have a tiny tree now, on my windowsill, with tiny baubles on it and lights and snowflake decorations and a tiny fairy. Lovely. No fuss, straight out of the suitcase and up with new batteries for the lights.

I suppose children do have to learn but it depends on what sort of relationship you have with your grandchild. If you see them all the time and mind them regularly, then to tell them to keep away seems fair, but if you don't see them often or they are a little more standoffish, then maybe try and get round this problem for this year without causing friction with mummy and daddy. smile

goose1964 Wed 21-Dec-16 10:15:54

we never made any provisos for our kids if you have a real tree they will get pricked and soon lean to keep away - works for cats too

dizzygran Wed 21-Dec-16 10:27:56

If space is limited just have lots of greenery and a small tree on the windowsill if you can't manage without one. Much better to have room for a little one to move around without worrying. Have a lovely day.

Pinkshoes26 Wed 21-Dec-16 10:47:31

Christmas trees and sparkling lights
Snow filled skies and star lit nights
Baubles, stockings, presents that wait
Grand chilren excited for that special date

I have a small house with a large tree. Train that runs around under. Lots of Christmas out.
Tiss the season.
Things may get broke. I shall not worry.
Children bring s much joy.

Lupatria Wed 21-Dec-16 11:59:30

never worried about babies and baubles - as some have already said, it's never too early to learn the word "no"!
i've brought up two children and helped with four grandaughters and also catered for friends with children in the past almost 50 years and never moved an ornament any higher or put the christmas tree in a playpen [or raised it]. children learn very quickly and know at an early age what they're allowed to touch and what they shouldn't.

EmilyHarburn Wed 21-Dec-16 13:00:29

Discuss this with your daughter. You have downsized. If you had a conservatory you might have had your tree in that and only let your grandson in when there was a whole group of adults. As others have said get a play pen to go round the tree. Your daughter might have one. You want to have an enjoyable time with no frantic trip to A & E. so do what you and your daughter thinks will work.

Legs55 Wed 21-Dec-16 14:54:31

I never moved anything for either my DD or any of the DGC - they knew not to touch as I had some valuable (& breakable) antiques, many at "child height" - they were Nanny's things - look not touch. Christmas tree was never a problem when my DGC were little, just need to be supervised naturally tchhmm

A chat with your DD is a good idea but children love a Christmas tree, would be a shame to have to compromise too much.

marionk Wed 21-Dec-16 15:26:33

Have decorated our tree with no breakable ornaments and have placed a willow branch on top of the dresser with lights and all the precious stuff on.

minxie Wed 21-Dec-16 15:40:15

When my children were small, nothing was moved, they have to learn not to touch. It's very laborious but they get there in the end

Bobbysgirl19 Wed 21-Dec-16 15:49:40

A 10 month old would not be left unsupervised at all. Ask the parents if they have a tree up and what are their views. If your rooms are small you could get a lovely slim one that would save you on space and would fit easily into a small corner.