Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Christmas tree baubles

(34 Posts)
VivieSov Tue 20-Dec-16 14:24:06

We're hosting our daughter and son-in-law with our 10-month-old grandson who is at the crawling stage and is pulling himself up and walking with a walker. We have downsized and our house has rather small room and no space to raise a Christmas tree above floor level. Do we have a tree this year with the thought that our grandson might hurt himself whilst none of us is looking? Or do we keep all decorations out of reach? This is our first grandchild and I can't remember when our daughter was the same age - in 1980! Thanks grans.

notanan Wed 21-Dec-16 16:17:09

I've never restricted our trees, by the time the kids are big enough to be in a room by themselves, they're big enough to be sensible with the tree. Until then they're not going to be all by themselves with it.

I just don't put the most delicate baubles a the bottom is all when they're babies.

callgirl1 Wed 21-Dec-16 16:22:32

We had 5 kids, never any problems with the tree, but the first Christmas we were married, we had a young cat, the tree was in the centre of the large old fashioned dining table, but he managed to dislodge nearly every bauble, they`d go flying, and always managed to land, and shatter, on the narrow stone border around the edge of the carpet!

GG22 Wed 21-Dec-16 16:47:06

I found that putting my most precious and fragile ornaments on the upper branches and those that could stand being played with on the bottom worked very well.

First grandchild - if you are anything like my DH and I, that child has not a hope of a moment unsupervised during the holiday or any other time. Our DC1 at 6 is still never alone (except when in the bathroom) because time with him is so very precious. Enjoy that baby!

f77ms Wed 21-Dec-16 20:43:01

My nephew stood on a bauble when he was one and ended up in hospital with a hugely swollen leg . Since then I have been a bit more careful with allowing toddlers near the tree.
I would ask the Mum what she thinks - you don`t want to be barking at him everytime he goes near it ? It is up to his Mum to say No, not his nana I would think.

paddyann Wed 21-Dec-16 23:49:35

never moved ornaments or anything else for our kids or grandkids and didn't have safety gates or safety locks of anything either.They have to learn and its better and easier when they are young

Jan51 Thu 22-Dec-16 07:30:38

When ours were small my mum and dad used to pull one end of the sofa forward so that it went across the corner and put their tree on a small table in the corner behind it. I can't remember that we worried about them touching our tree at home x

Nelliemoser Thu 22-Dec-16 08:20:31

I have my tree inside what is my garden fruit cage. made to about a metre square. It consists of poles and end pieces which fit together like a sort of frame tent. The frame is covered with a sheet. It seemed to deter any attempts to climb it or eat it.

The alternative is to put DGS2 in the fruit cage and the tree in the corner.
Last year he was eight months and crawing everywhere. I think we had our tree on a spare table when DS was about 14months and just walking.

annehinckley Mon 26-Dec-16 09:47:48

We have the tree & baubles, but I don't use mistletoe these days. The berries just look too much like jelly sweets, & being pale grey, wouldn't be obvious if they fell onto the floor.