Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Christmas tree baubles

(33 Posts)
Jayanna9040 Tue 20-Dec-16 16:20:03

No grandchildren to worry about now but when my children were little ( after a near disaster involving chewing through the fairy lights!) I had a big tree shaped garland that hung over the fireplace, flat to the wall. You could hang decorations and lights on it but it was safely out of reach!

Jalima Tue 20-Dec-16 16:09:46

I think I put a link on soop's about cats and trees ..... tchgrin

Of course, I wouldn't recommend using a water pistol on a baby but apparently they are quite effective if used on cats.

Greyduster Tue 20-Dec-16 16:06:42

Our cat was more of a Christmas tree liability than GS when he was tiny!! She nearly had it over more than once.

Jalima Tue 20-Dec-16 15:14:11

Beg or borrow a playpen - for the tree, not the baby!

Jalima Tue 20-Dec-16 15:12:54

We've always had a tree - the only mishap was one year when DD was crawling and the tree we bought from a reputable garden centre was shedding its needles rapidly by Christmas Eve!! Because we didn't want her getting pine needles stuck into her DH rushed out and bought a huge over-priced artificial tree on Christmas Eve afternoon. It did stand us in good stead for about 15 years.

As long as you have non-glass decorations it should be fine - I presume that someone will be in the room with him all the time and it's never too soon to learn 'No, you can look but don't touch'.
It depends how meddlesome he is!

Teetime Tue 20-Dec-16 14:58:07

I have never restricted my Xmas decorations for my own children, other people children or grandchildren - no-one got hurt. I wonder if we are perhaps a little more anxious around our grandchildren and other peoples children than we were with our own. When I was growing up we had candles alight on the tree - no accidents but I wouldn't do that now.

DaphneBroon Tue 20-Dec-16 14:45:36

I would still put a littletree on a table, anything else is a recipe for disaster! Or in a playpen!! Or on the hall table perhaps.
It goes without saying baubles must be of the shatterproof variety.

VivieSov Tue 20-Dec-16 14:24:06

We're hosting our daughter and son-in-law with our 10-month-old grandson who is at the crawling stage and is pulling himself up and walking with a walker. We have downsized and our house has rather small room and no space to raise a Christmas tree above floor level. Do we have a tree this year with the thought that our grandson might hurt himself whilst none of us is looking? Or do we keep all decorations out of reach? This is our first grandchild and I can't remember when our daughter was the same age - in 1980! Thanks grans.