Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do your kids remember your Wedding Anniversary? Do you expect them to?

(121 Posts)
JackyB Wed 04-Jan-17 11:29:51

I always gave my parents a card, and on their 25th a present, but my children say they weren't there when we married so what has it got to do with them. I suppose they are right, in a way. I prefer not to think about wedding anniversaries, quite honestly, but I am still miffed that my sister-in-law has never once mentioned it, and had found something better to do when I invited her out for dinner for our 25th.

So - mixed feeling here. How do other families stand on the matter?

chrissie13 Thu 05-Jan-17 09:52:58

No, I don't think they even know when it is!

path20 Thu 05-Jan-17 09:56:59

No, I don't expect them to.

gillybob Thu 05-Jan-17 09:59:01

I always gave my mum and dad a card and a few flowers or a plant on their wedding anniversary (25th March). Their last (2016) was their 55th and regretfully it was the only time since I can remember that I did not mark the day. My mum came home from hospital as she wanted to pass away in her own home (she died on 1st April) and although I remembered their special day I was at a complete loss as to how to acknowledge it. A "Happy anniversary" card was certainly not appropriate. We did talk about her wedding day and she knew it was her anniversary but I feel sad thinking how she must've felt knowing that this would be the last ever. Life is cruel. sad

Seasidenana Thu 05-Jan-17 10:05:49

No, but there again we have been separated 10 years and divorced for 8 ?. I always send my parents a card, and on their Golden and Diamond days we did big parties for them. I always send cards to my 3 adult kids on their anniversaries.

Humbertbear Thu 05-Jan-17 10:13:58

Our children always remember our anniversary and so do the grand children. I always remembered the anniversaries of my parents and parents in law. We celebrate on our own but they always send cards. Isn't it just part of being a family?

Marymore Thu 05-Jan-17 10:15:10

It's our 45th anniversary in a couple of weeks, I never make a big deal of our anniversary and don't expect it at all but my children have got together and organised a get together (at our house but they're cooking ?) They've planned the whole weekend including a photo outside the church where we got married. Started out with 2 of us and ended up with 10!

Linbrikat Thu 05-Jan-17 10:18:01

LOL, my husband and I very rarely remember our wedding anniversary!

Thingmajig Thu 05-Jan-17 10:20:10

I'm sure we were more or less adults before we even knew when my parents wedding anniversary was. We had a celebratory family and close friends dinner for their 40/50 and 60th.

My mother gave us a card and gift last year on our 5th saying that she only marked every 5th year with a little gift ... DD's 5th anniversary (it was a busy year!) was also last year so I adopted the same plan as mother. smile

Needless to say, DD didn't reciprocate with even a card!

pollyperkins Thu 05-Jan-17 10:20:22

No, except for special ones eg ruby wedding when we had a family party. But DH and I always send each other cards and usually go out for a meal or to the theatre. I send cards to each of the children though.

harrysgran Thu 05-Jan-17 10:26:04

No and I wouldn't expect them to it's something I think the two people concerned should celebrate together if they want to I don't ever remember celebrating my parents wedding anniversary although they did themselves

Petal77 Thu 05-Jan-17 10:29:34

I'm widowed and my three kids never forgot our anniversary while my husband was alive and certainly do not forget it now I'm on my own, we always celebrate it even now, they buy me cards and small gifts every year on the day, this year is our 40th. In exceptionally lucky that's for sure

SerendipitySmith Thu 05-Jan-17 10:35:17

My husband and parents usually remember our anniversary (my mum died 3 years ago but my 91 year old dad still remembers). I'm pretty hopeless, I have to think hard to remember the date. I forgot my own darling parents' 50th to my eternal shame.

It's important to remember that none of these anniversary retail opportunities really matter. What matters is the love between you all. I adore my husband and parents and hope I show that in a million other ways.

Taffy1234 Thu 05-Jan-17 10:37:54

I don't remember DDs either.
Long time ago my sister in law asked me what I was going to do for our 25th. What a wake up call! Thought can't stand another 25 yrs of this misery so instead of celebrating anniversary we got divorced and never looked back.

Neversaydie Thu 05-Jan-17 10:41:11

Dh and I don't always remember our anniversary .... Did nothing for our 25th -well MIL bought us a 'new' car and it was silver(skint and children relatively young as we had them late in life) had a lovely day in London with special meal for our 30th and will arrange something special for our 40th if we are spared
It's just a day like any other .

SerendipitySmith Thu 05-Jan-17 10:41:13

I should add that I have 4 children, 3 from a previous marriage and one from this one. They are all adult now. They don't send us cards and I wouldn't expect them to. They are generous and loving every day of the year, so why would I need them to?

IHaveAFabulousDIL Thu 05-Jan-17 10:49:34

I've always thought that they are for the couple. I rarely remember ours, though DH always does. My mother always sends a card/present. One of our sons are married. We weren't at the wedding (no one was, except them, obviously ?). I don't send anything for that either, though my mother does. It's important for her.
I have a dilemma this year...my father died last year on the day before their anniversary. I would like to support mum, but not sure how. Any advice? (Sorry to hijack)

Shazmo24 Thu 05-Jan-17 10:50:35

My 60th & 40th wedding anniversary are in the October & December of 2020 so intend to have one big celebration for both in the November...just hoping I don't have to arrange it all by myself though lol

baubles Thu 05-Jan-17 10:52:20

No and no.

Except for our 40th when DD sent beautiful flowers ?.

Neversaydie Thu 05-Jan-17 10:52:29

Well said serendipity
I was rather ashamed to forget the 40th of a friend to whom I was a bridesmaid last year (I did actually remember 2 the previous year-also a bridesmaid-and sent flowers .40 years being 'good going'these days!)But she said they'd almost forgotten themselves and hadn't planned anything special .

boggles Thu 05-Jan-17 10:54:28

My son can't even remember his own!

Mauriherb Thu 05-Jan-17 10:56:06

My parents got married on 1st April. Easy to remember. We always celebrated the big ones but not the others until it got to 70 ! Then we thought they deserved an annual treat . Sadly dad passed away last July but they got to 72 years. Definitely worth a bunch of flowers!

hulahoop Thu 05-Jan-17 11:00:57

Not normally we got together for 40th we send each other ca ds and sometimes book a overnight stay somewhere

Lilyflower Thu 05-Jan-17 11:05:18

No, our children don't remember and, often, neither do we. This year on the 21st October I suddenly recalled the date and said to the DH, 'We forgot that yesterday was our 37th wedding anniversary!'

We made a big fuss of our silver wedding and had the party we couldn't afford when we had the cheap 1979 wedding and, I daresay, we will have a 'do' for our ruby wedding. But we have saved a lot of angst and present/restaurant money being very relaxed about the big day.

Juggernaut Thu 05-Jan-17 11:14:37

My grandparents were married on 6th April 1925, my parents on 6th April 1956, and DH and I married on 6th April 1985!
It wasn't particularly deliberate that we chose the same date; we were living together, decided to tie the knot, and 6th April was a date which fit in with DH's shift patterns, and was in the new year for leave from work, so we could go on honeymoon! Also, parents and grandparents had lovely happy marriages, so it seemed like a lucky date!
My grandparents wedding was on a Monday, my parents on a Friday, but we were more traditional and were married on a Saturday, Easter Saturday in fact!
So, yes, everyone in our family remembers our anniversary!
DS and DDiL broke the pattern when they married, in February 2015!

Venus Thu 05-Jan-17 11:15:48

I would be extremely upset if my children didn't recognise our wedding anniversaries. I think it's respecful to acknowledge that your parents have been together a certain length of time. After all, if it wasn't for their parents being there, they would not have been born! We are coming up to fifty one years of marriage, and it is going to become increasingly rarer for our children to obtain the same amount of time, as they seem to be getting married much later in life then we did.