Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do your kids remember your Wedding Anniversary? Do you expect them to?

(121 Posts)
JackyB Wed 04-Jan-17 11:29:51

I always gave my parents a card, and on their 25th a present, but my children say they weren't there when we married so what has it got to do with them. I suppose they are right, in a way. I prefer not to think about wedding anniversaries, quite honestly, but I am still miffed that my sister-in-law has never once mentioned it, and had found something better to do when I invited her out for dinner for our 25th.

So - mixed feeling here. How do other families stand on the matter?

chrissie211 Thu 05-Jan-17 20:41:24

I don't expect them to remember anniversaries , but if they are special dates we would probably organise something to include everyone, and then they would all know about it smile

hicaz46 Thu 05-Jan-17 20:57:46

No and No

notanan Thu 05-Jan-17 22:16:03

To me anniversary cards are like valentines cards, I wouldn't give one to anyone but my husband! Only exception is if a couple had a big do which I was invited to for a 25th or 50th, then I'ld get a happy anniversary card for them.

I find it quite strange that a handful of people send us valentines cards, it's kinda uncofortable, IMO it's a personal event between me and hubby

Grandma2213 Fri 06-Jan-17 01:41:38

notanan -Who on earth sends you Valentine's cards?! I've only had one in my life and that was rude sad.

As for wedding anniversary I never remembered mine (probably with good reason), except that it was some time in Autumn half term. My exH has never sent a card of any kind to me even for my birthday. Actually no man in my life ever has apart from my DSs
I liked the hand made ones best and now I get lots of those from my DGC. smile smile smile

Lovey Fri 06-Jan-17 03:19:49

No and Not on 50th.

ElroodFan Fri 06-Jan-17 09:15:27

Not usually but then I don't expect it. They bought us a gift for our 25th and are talking about a party for our 50th in 2 years time.

SunnySusie Fri 06-Jan-17 10:58:23

Not only do my kids not remember our wedding anniversary, we forget as well! We got married in mid August and quite often about mid September one or other of us will say wasnt it our wedding anniversary last month? Having said that we marked the 25th and 40th because some dear friends organised a party for us both times, they are big on all celebrations. It was wonderful of them, but I know for a fact left to our own devices we might have managed nothing more than a card, or an extra nice lamb chop for dinner!

Blinko Fri 06-Jan-17 11:10:53

Close friends and my sister remember. DCs do not unless reminded eg. on Facebook.

Nandalot Fri 06-Jan-17 16:42:26

No, as I thought, two lonely cards on the mantlepiece , from neighbours! DD and DCs are with us at moment and DGD on being told it was our anniversary today went and got the card she made last year which had been stuck up on the art wall!

Jayem Fri 06-Jan-17 18:59:55

Blurryell even I don't remember our wedding anniversary!! Why would I? Mmm let me think a minute. I think it was August 31st or thereabouts.

Deedaa Fri 06-Jan-17 21:38:42

Ours usually remember our anniversary, but I'm much worse at remembering theirs. blush

Greenfinch Fri 06-Jan-17 22:32:52

Ditto Deedaa

notanan Sat 07-Jan-17 18:54:22

notanan -Who on earth sends you Valentine's cards?! I've only had one in my life and that was rude

My OH does, and I'ld find it odd if anyone else did. I feel the same about other people sending us anniversary cards (apart from the exceptions I've already mentioned). The only time I've ever given anyone who wasn't my own husband an anniversary card was when I went to a big silver anniversary "do". I'ld never send them to friends of family on a yearly basis.

Grandma2213 Sun 08-Jan-17 01:31:02

notanan I was referring to your comment I find it quite strange that a handful of people send us valentines cards, it's kinda uncomfortable. I also find that strange. Cards from your OH are perfectly fine and as you say 'personal'.

I never knew my own parents' wedding anniversary, even the big ones. They never mentioned it and in retrospect I wonder if it was because I was born only a few months later! Different times!

absent Sun 08-Jan-17 04:07:18

I always remembered my parents' wedding anniversary and absentdaughter always remembers mine. (Mr absent is her step-father). Mind you, it's a difficult date to forget as we were married on April 1st. At this very minute, an anniversary card is sitting on my desk waiting for me to write in it for absentdaughter's anniversary next Tuesday. We never miss any opportunity to celebrate anything in my family. (I once gave a party to celebrate the invention of the Wellington boot.)

Cunco Sun 08-Jan-17 08:33:14

I usually send a card for my daughter's wedding anniversary and, since we are often on a family holiday on my son's, we have a family dinner to celebrate. I don't expect them to remember our wedding anniversary, or indeed my wife. smile. When I take her a card with her cup of tea in the morning she says; 'Oh, is it today?'. It's become a tradition and I think we both quite like the one card on the mantlepiece after all these years.

notanan Sun 08-Jan-17 17:20:55

notanan I was referring to your comment I find it quite strange that a handful of people send us valentines cards, it's kinda uncomfortable. I also find that strange. Cards from your OH are perfectly fine and as you say 'personal'

OOops that was supposed to say the handful of people who send us anniversary cards. I had valentines cards in my head cause I think of them the same way.

If I don't send someone an anniversary card it's not that I've "forgotten", because I never intended to send on in the first place IYKWIM

LuckyDucky Sun 08-Jan-17 23:02:17

Our elder son, bless his tender and generous heart used to give us anniversary cards. I stopped him when he was made
redundant. Our younger son was part of a rapid reaction force, so buying anniversary cards weren't in his remit.

Now I'm going to go off "piste" goes. . . It's our 50th in March. MDH talked about buying me an (full) eternity ring:

While I love the idea of a ring, my fingers are arthritic. I'd rather spend money on a new front door! Am I being horribly unromantic?

What on earth can/should I buy him? Our funds aren't unlimited. With a mobile always in his pocket a watch seems redundant. . . confused

Advice would be most welcome.

Grandma2213 Mon 09-Jan-17 00:09:42

notanan I'm glad you cleared that up. I found it very odd!!! shock.

I agree with you. I think I've only ever given a couple of anniversary cards when I have been to a celebration Silver and Golden Wedding Anniversary party.

carolmary Thu 26-Jan-17 16:38:40

I certainly don't expect a card from anyone, but we have had the odd card from our daughters and my sister, usually for a "big" one. One year, the postman brought us what was obviously a card of some sort. We were at a loss as to what it might be until we opened it and saw it was an anniversary card from our elder daughter. We ourselves had totally forgotten it was our anniversary! We always send our daughters anniversary cards though, and they like that. Our 50th is our next one and maybe it would be nice to get cards,and we probably will, especially if we have a party. (if we manage to hold on to life for a bit longer that is!) I don't think that you need to give in to the relentless pressure from places like Clinton Cards etc. to spend money to prove your love for each other. And as for those "cute" teddy bears, well why would you want them? We have had a long agreement not to send each other Valentine cards.