Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Washing cashmere

(36 Posts)
NanKate Fri 06-Jan-17 07:20:44

I treated myself to a lovely cashmere sweater from M and S and I see it recommends washing it in cashmere shampoo, whatever that is. Any advice on the detergent to use please.

Bbnan Sun 08-Jan-17 14:55:49

The comb can be used on all knitwear and wool items that have piling.....got mine in singer sewing machine shop cost 4 pounds....just got a new one yesterday as I gave mine to my dil going home to Canada...it very useful

Jalima Sun 08-Jan-17 15:17:05

I have used Woolite, handwashed, gently machine washed but still seemed to have wrecked my M&S cashmere sweaters. A Johnston one is fine and another Scottish made one is still OK but the M&S ones have matted and shrunk.

I must look for a knitwear comb

(different from a nit comb I presume grin)

Jalima Sun 08-Jan-17 15:18:25

You need a bio detergent, perhaps spray with Vanish laundry spray first of all silverlining
At least it's a t-shirt and not a new carpet .....

Jalima Sun 08-Jan-17 15:19:08

And a cold or cool wash is best as a hot wash sometimes 'sets' stains.

Jayh Sun 08-Jan-17 15:24:56

Thank you for thus bread, ladies. I have a new M&S cashmere sweater and I now know how to wash it. I have previous in shrinking woolies. ?

Jayh Sun 08-Jan-17 15:25:38

This thread! ?

Jalima Sun 08-Jan-17 15:32:10

barley loaves and fishes
grin

NanKate Sun 08-Jan-17 16:45:01

Well I have done the deed. I followed Annodomini suggestion of the hand wash mode on the washing machine. I used Waitrose's cashmere and wool detergent . I then laid inside out sweater on a clean tea towel on the table. It is looking good so far and when it is dry I will report back.

Nelliemoser Sun 08-Jan-17 17:08:03

Not cashmere, but my husband washed my hand knitted wool cardigan with the rest of the laundry and shrank it. He is still in the dog house about that. No idea some men.

riosgrandma Wed 01-Feb-17 08:22:09

Hi everyone - this is my first post although I've been a Gransnetter for a long time! I have no idea where this will appear as I've been searching for a new post button or a help button but can't seem to find anything !!
I would really like to know what all the abbreviations mean - I'm sure there's a post about it somewhere but I just cannot find anything and it's quite hard going reading some posts without knowing.
I'm sorry if this appears somewhere inappropriate or hijacks a totally unrelated thread - I'm going to put it down to having been laid awake for hours!!!!!