Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Funky hair on Gransnet

(130 Posts)
Coolgran65 Mon 09-Jan-17 01:43:53

I'm 67 and,wear my hair in a layered shaggy-ish style coming to just below my ears. A little longer on one side with an asymmetrical fringe. It's various tones of champagne blonde, at least that's what it says on the Nice 'n Easy packet !!

I've got a notion for a bit of funky colour. I've often had caramel foils, a couple of chocolate foils, etc.but not for a while. I'm thinking of getting perhaps a 'slice' on one side. Sort of like a Mallen streak but on short hair..... could be brown, or copper, even aubergine ....dare I say purple !! If I'm brave enough for purple....

I've looked on line but it's always young models. Or the older models haven't used colour in this way.......perhaps that should tell me something smile

Do any of you have a little bit of a rebel showing in your shortish hair cut/colour. I'd love to hear what you've done smile

My hair is easily looked after, just blowdry and tousle it a little.

MissAdventure Mon 09-Jan-17 13:24:05

Dannirae,
I think the words "soft perm" and "demi wave" have given me the palpitations since my mum used to let loose on my lank, thin, greasy teen hair with a "pinup" home perm!

Coolgran65 Mon 09-Jan-17 13:46:35

suzied fabulous hair

janeainsworth Mon 09-Jan-17 13:58:28

suzied your hair is lovely!
anneey welcome back & Im glad you have recovered flowers

goldengirl Mon 09-Jan-17 14:55:58

I've got cropped spiky hair and last year went for a plum streak to liven it up which I was very pleased with. However I swim a lot so it didn't last overly long and it was quite costly so my hairdresser suggested Bleach London Rose which I now use. It's a lurid pink in the bottle but honestly doesn't dye the hair that colour at all!!It blends the grey and gives my hair a softer look with, in some lights, a little glimmer of pink. It's more subtle than the streak I had though. I'm quite taken with your hair suzied. It looks great.

shysal Mon 09-Jan-17 15:12:19

Well, just returned from Superdrug. They didn't have a vibrant Pixie Lott paint for my darkish, wavy, shoulder length hair, so came back with this. I shall try a few streaks only, when I have plucked up the courage!

trisher Mon 09-Jan-17 15:18:58

Oh now you've made me want to try some of these. I went red a few years ago and quite liked it but was put off when I went back to my blonde/grey and a friend said I looked much better! But a streak or two might be good.

Izabella Mon 09-Jan-17 15:31:07

I have extremely naturally curly hair. Was all colours in my youth but now enjoying natural greying. I have a horror of putting a brown hue on as it always seems to age people but I do like the look of these pinks!! Looks great fun

MissAdventure Mon 09-Jan-17 15:44:12

I like the sound of that bleach pink rose colour, but my hair goes patchy if I do an all over colour
I've always assumed its the different textures between grown out highlights, grey hair, and my optional few strands of natural mouse smile

MissAdventure Mon 09-Jan-17 15:44:56

Um, I meant original..

Jalima Mon 09-Jan-17 15:53:17

including green from not reading instructions with ash blonde
yes, mine was that colour too grin

At the moment is is boring brown (natural) and in dire need of a cut; it isn't bob-length, it's just a mess. But - nothing too daring but something stylish.
Any ideas?

Kittye Mon 09-Jan-17 16:33:22

Love your hair suzied both colour and style. Had mine in a boring bob for years. Must do something with it this year.

suzied Mon 09-Jan-17 16:43:52

I think the Bleach colours are similar to the Paint stuff, they're not permanent and give a nice highlighted look, and easy to do. Thanks for the compliments! My Oh tells everyone I'm in the "blue rinse brigade" but lots of people say they like my blue hair, so Ill keep on experimenting, if I don't like it I can always change it/ grow it.

Jalima Mon 09-Jan-17 16:46:04

I have found a style online; it looks lovely on the young model.

Now I just need the face-lift too.

Jalima Mon 09-Jan-17 16:48:18

I like yours suzied - lovely.
The style I have picked is a bit like that but longer.

However, can't do much about the colour of mine unless I have lowlights.

MissAdventure DD did her long blonde hair with bright pink tips once, I really liked it.

Jalima Mon 09-Jan-17 16:49:17

anneey welcome back

shysal Mon 09-Jan-17 17:03:42

Just tried 2 streaks, leaving on for the maximum time. Here are before and after pics. Not as bright red as I expected but still a bit damp.

Jalima Mon 09-Jan-17 17:18:53

Now, that might suit my hair smile

Jalima Mon 09-Jan-17 17:20:48

I know a couple of people who have dyed their hair bright scarlet.
(people my kind of age - 60s+)

Jalima Mon 09-Jan-17 17:22:02

but DH always says - 'just look at C's hair - what on earth does she want it that colour for?'
I say, 'well, I might do mine like that too'.

Unfortunately, I would have to bleach it first.

Auntieflo Mon 09-Jan-17 17:33:54

Oh how I would love to have a go at some colour, and you lovely GN's who have posted pictures, are soooo young! Envy abounds. I suppose I am lucky, in that my hair is still quite dark, except for the grey at my temples, and I'd hate it to go a peculiar shade.

Coolgran65 Mon 09-Jan-17 17:35:10

shysal You have beautiful hair. The red streaks are quite subtle but you can see that they are there. How are they now that it is dry?

They'd show up more on my blonde hair..... no Superdrug locally but I'll pick up something, or try on-line.

shysal Mon 09-Jan-17 19:09:35

Actually, Coolgran, my hair is usually a mess and all the grey hairs are wiry! The second streak seems much brighter than the first, which doesn't really show on the pics. I can't believe a wash-out colour took so well.

Marmark1 Mon 09-Jan-17 19:23:15

Suzied,your hair is lovely,your definitely a cool Gran.

constance Tue 10-Jan-17 11:08:57

My recent what the hell moment - permanent colour, do it about twice a year if I can afford it.

Marmark1 Tue 10-Jan-17 11:44:39

Really good Constance,your another cool gran