Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Feeling nervous

(60 Posts)
sunseeker Tue 10-Jan-17 15:04:23

I have lived alone for over 5 years now and have always been OK but since having work done in the house during the summer I have started to become increasingly nervous at night. I have a burglar alarm, locks on the windows and bolts and chains on the front and back doors. However if I hear a noise outside during the evening I have to investigate. I live in an old house which has always had a lot of creaks at night but now when I hear them I have to get up and make sure there is no-one downstairs (although what I would do if there was someone there I have no idea!). I also now hide my jewellery at night! Does this affect anyone else - is it just part of the process of getting older or am I going nuts? I live in a rural area but do have neighbours.

annodomini Fri 13-Jan-17 10:38:27

I have been on my own for around 20 years, since my sons became independent home-owners.
I don't put the door chain on overnight as it would prevent the emergency services getting access if I had a fall or set the house on fire (unlikely). It's another matter when I open the door to a stranger. I deploy the chain and look through the 'fish eye' to see if I recognise them. Otherwise, I am satisfied that my doors and windows are secure and my alarm has recently been serviced. On my mantelpiece I have a prominently displayed photograph of DS in police officer's uniform!

rosesarered Fri 13-Jan-17 11:38:36

grin Yorkshire that's really very good!
Here is a shorter version ( not mine own)

Things that go bump in the night
Should not really give one a fright,
It's the hole in each ear that lets in the fear,
That, and the absence of light!

petra Fri 13-Jan-17 21:39:35

Sunseeker Do you have a television in your bedroom? If not, get one that has a timer on it. This function means that the tv can be set to turn off, say, one hour after you go to bed.
Years ago I found that having a dog was the worst thing I could have done because he barked at every single sound.

rosesarered Fri 13-Jan-17 22:46:52

grin

Elrel Sun 15-Jan-17 12:05:26

In the West Midlands the Fire Service will come round and do a thorough home safety check, all aspects, not only fire related. Very friendly and helpful.

Elrel Sun 15-Jan-17 12:06:16

I meant to add that the Fire Service check may be available in other areas.

Wobblybits Sun 15-Jan-17 12:19:13

In Essex, I believe both the Police and fire service will offer home advisory visits. Your can also get a visit from the falls advisory service regarding safety in and around the home. The fire service replaced all our old smoke alarms for free.

Anya Sun 15-Jan-17 12:34:22

It is a shame you're not a dog person as that is an obvious solution. They alert you straight away to anything untoward.

My widowed friend, not a dog person either, has a pair of big boots, a man's jacket and a dog lead hanging in her porch. Anorher elderly person I know who's given up driving encourages her neighbour to park his car on her drive. She says it helps him out, as off street parking is a problem where she lives, and it makes her feel safer.

Eloethan Sun 15-Jan-17 18:10:22

As others have said, it is highly unlikely you will be burgled. I believe burglaries have decreased dramatically at the same time as online crime increasing.

However, as you are worried, would it help to have a lock on your own bedroom door and to make sure that you always have a torch and your mobile phone next to you when you go to bed?

I think leaving the radio on downstairs is a good idea too, and, if you are able, having a dog.

Our dog is not at all aggressive but on one occasion for sure and maybe on others his barking has warded off burglars.