Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Retiring to the coast, possible park home - good idea?

(31 Posts)
mrsnonsmoker Sat 21-Jan-17 18:00:12

New to Gransnet, I imagine this has been discussed before, but we are thinking of retiring to the coast so we can clear mortgage and get a cheaper house. First of all I am worried about taking us an hours drive from our friends and family - will people come to visit, or is that going to be increasingly unlikely? I wanted to be nanny by the sea (my kids don't have kids yet) but am I more likely to be nanny that lives too far away?

secondly, I'm thinking are park homes too good to be true, looks cosy but is it? And also I think that might make it even more unlikely we'll get lots of visitors. DH isn't in great health so we can't be too isolated.

Has anyone done this and did you regret it?

whitewave Tue 24-Jan-17 15:47:13

Lots of lovely apartments for sale, and more secure than a park home.

Jalima Tue 24-Jan-17 17:39:18

I am not sure why a park home would not be 'secure'? My sisterIL's is just as secure as any other bungalow apart from the site being leasehold, which is often the case with apartments too.
And an apartment would not have a garden if the DGC come to stay.

The other thing is that they may not always want to visit the same place for their holidays.
We did decide not to move back to where we lived because we would have been an hour or two away from the family - but I still would like to be near the coast.

Jalima Tue 24-Jan-17 17:43:13

The ones where you have to move out for two weeks a year are holiday sites.
Why would anyone buy one as a permanent home - the day will come when you can't just hop off somewhere else for a short while.

Don't people think ahead? confused

whitewave Tue 24-Jan-17 17:43:17

I perhaps used the wrong word. What I meant was that a flat would be secure from the point of view of future tenure. That there are no uncertainties like there may be with a park home. And rules.

Jalima Tue 24-Jan-17 17:53:48

Rules - DH would not like rules!
But there could be rules for apartment living too.

There is a difference between permanent residential sites and those which include holiday homes.

I would need to have a garden, however small.
And DH would not like to be told 'no shed'!