Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

She's relied on me for a decade. What do I do now?

(118 Posts)
Nelliemaggs Sun 22-Jan-17 17:59:26

I have looked out for my neighbour, MrsM, for 20 years, intensively for 10, shopped, cooked, ferried, accompanied to hospital appointments, visited her in hospital, tidied the garden and done my best to help when anything went wrong. She is 91 but clear headed and socially active in her church. She has always said how lucky she is to have such a good neighbour!.
Earlier in the week a car blocked my driveway and we had to fetch a cab for my nephew at 6.45am as I clearly couldn't drive him to the airport. Thoughtless people often park across our drive and I put my standard note on the car's windscreen pointing out what had been done and that it is a registered dropped kerb and they would be reported. It turned out to be MrsM's morning carer's car but I had no way of knowing that until the carer came to my door that afternoon.. We talked and I said she was welcome to park there now that I know the number of her car and where to find her. I also talked to my neighbour and all seemed well.
I hold MrsM's key and yesterday afternoon I let myself in to say I was going shopping and did she need anything and was shocked to hear her on the phone talking about me in very pejorative language, saying I was a liar and that I wrote a horrible note and nearly lost the carer her job and then she said, 'No wonder her husband left her". I was stunned, still am, and don't know where I go next. Do I let her know I heard her, which would have to be in writing as I can't bear to talk to her, or just keep away. I don't feel I can carry on doing everything for her any longer but she relies heavily on me when she isn't wellsad

Eloethan Mon 23-Jan-17 00:29:57

I also meant to say Nelliemags that I'm very sorry that you have been so hurt by this old lady's remarks. I think you sound like a really nice person and I'm sure everyone on here agrees that you have gone well beyond what most people would do to help an elderly neighbour.

mumofmadboys Mon 23-Jan-17 08:49:38

I think it would be best to go and see her and tell her you overheard the comments and tell her how hurt you are. See what she says. I agree you should do less for her but give her a chance to explain/ apologise. I am sorry you have been so hurt when you have been so kind. Please let us know what you do. xx

Galena Mon 23-Jan-17 10:04:30

I'm afraid I'd cut all contact. Ungrateful and rude. Let her carers deal with her. I would have ditched her on account of her difficult views tbh.

theresacoo Mon 23-Jan-17 10:05:43

Ask her out right. Then if it's true return key hold your head up and walk away not hide behind a note.

radicalnan Mon 23-Jan-17 10:05:47

What do you get out of helping her so much? If it gives a shape to your day and you enjoy it then be careful about stopping it.

I have friends who work in care homes, they say that routinely old people tell their families that they don't get baths or good care etc.... and the care staff have offered baths and been refused.

It does seem to be a symptom of old age for some people, cantankerous behaviour (I've had it myself for years) and I know plenty of older friends who have suffered from it.

If you would not suffer any personal loss then I would withdraw now. She does have carers and is capable of using the phone to get help, she has family so she is not alone.

What she said about your husband was cruel, so she has the capacity to be ungrateful and unkind. Plenty of other people would welcome your help and bless you for it, as I do, bless you for all you have done for her. Time to protect yourself now.

Rosina Mon 23-Jan-17 10:08:01

What sad and upsetting things to hear - you must have felt awful. If your neighbour is, as you say, sharp and unclouded by any mental state, then I would certainly sit down with her and tell her calmly what you heard, and then just wait for her to respond - don't mention being upset or anything else, but just see what she has to say. I cannot imagine that there is any explanation for this other than that she meant what she said but after all these years it is fair to give her a chance, and you have clearly been kind, and fair towards her. If I were in your shoes I would then tell her that I couldn't help any further, given how badly I was thought of, and return her key. I hope you get over this and feel better soon - this is not how things should end when you have been kind.

Lyndie Mon 23-Jan-17 10:14:23

It sounds like she exaggerated to get extra sympathy from the person at the other end of the phone. At your expense. Its manipulative. Let it go. You sound absolutely lovely. You are the better person.

Shazmo24 Mon 23-Jan-17 10:18:33

Just talk to her that her carer came round and that you had a good chat about the car situation
You could say that you came round the other day but heard her on the telephone so you let yourself out again but not before you heard her talking about you..then wait to see what she says... if you walk away at least you will have closure on what's been a close friendship

foxie Mon 23-Jan-17 10:19:38

Only one bit of advice. Call it a day with your neighbour and tell her in no uncertain terms why. Then let her stew, she will need you long before you need her. Remember "if you do your best it will be for the best"

magwis Mon 23-Jan-17 10:25:18

Stand back, life is too short to be doing good deeds for someone who is unappreciative. I think you need to let her know you overheard that phone conversation but she may well deny having said what she did. This post resonated with a situation I was in and it is very hurtful.

Kim19 Mon 23-Jan-17 10:25:58

Don't concern yourself with the key proof thing. What's to have stopped you from having copies made? Back out gently but firmly with satisfaction of a past kindness very well done. And I do mean VERY WELL DONE.

Lewlew Mon 23-Jan-17 10:30:11

I can only add to the support. Yes, she may have been given a slanted view of the incident with the carer, but to take it at face value and add her insults about your marriage break-up might be showing her true colours! Also, some people just like to gossip and relish it. I would not be surprised if she disparages others in her circle. And a church-goer?

Time will tell should she becomes infirmed and confined to bed at home and sees that not many will come round and will have to rely only on paid carers.
flowers

Nelliemaggs Mon 23-Jan-17 10:31:20

Oh I feel so much better this morning, my 75th birthday. I realised when going over it all yesterday that MrsM became narky when my husband wandered off as I always say. He was absent much of our marriage climbing mountains and shut away reading books. After 40 years he met a woman he liked and took himself off. It was a blessed relief but hardly my fault.
I'm not going next door until I have to when she calls for help and then will tell her how her words shocked me. If she apologises I will eat my proverbial hatwink and I will let you know.
Again, thank you all

Yogadatti Mon 23-Jan-17 10:32:04

I just wonder how many people can honestly say they do not "slag off" people they know, people they love, friends, relatives, husbands etc, behind their backs? We seem to be a great nation of being nice to people's faces and rude behind them. On the other hand if you tell people their faults to their faces they usually can't take it and sulk or are too sensitive to accept the criticism and don't speak to you again! Your friend may be extremely grateful for all you do for her on one hand but not get on with you in a personal way.

mcem Mon 23-Jan-17 10:36:37

Surely she'll acknowledge your birthday after all the care you've given over the years!
Best wishes to you ?

tigger Mon 23-Jan-17 10:36:54

Ironic really how doing a good turn comes back to "bite you on the bum". Makes one wonder just how much appreciation there was in the first place.

gillyjp Mon 23-Jan-17 10:40:18

This reminded me of my late MIL and there is a possibility of Dementia. Plus old people can be incredibly nasty (especially the women for some reason). In my opinion this may be due to their lives coming to an end, being frightened of the unknown or possibly as a previous poster commented, to get the sympathy. Their lives have narrowed sustantially with age and they exaggerate every little incident into a huge drama. That said if I were in your shoes and to avoid any further hurt to yourself, I would definitely give her keys back and withdraw your kind efforts. She has a carer so she's not completely isolated and you have done more than enough!!

Grannyshoes Mon 23-Jan-17 10:42:31

Nelliemaggs Just wanted to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY ,hope you have a lovely day,doing things you want to do, and ????? here is some flowers for you too x

bethanmp23 Mon 23-Jan-17 10:42:50

They say listeners hear no good of themselves. It reminded me of a memory I had buried deep. I was at University and a girl I thought was my friend had broken her leg. She was spending most of the time in her hall of residence so I popped round to visit her to cheer her up.

Imagine my dismay to hear her talking about me in the most horrible terms. I was about to turn the handle when I heard my name and then some terrible lies being shared with another girl I'd also thought was my friend.

Perhaps I should have gone in and asked them to justify what they'd said, but I crept away, and it was a very long time before I trusted anybody.

In retrospect [I was 19] I could have burst in and asked them what on earth they thought they were saying. And perhaps you could have done that. I suspect the two girls knew they'd been overheard [they were over-the-top nice to me when we next met] and I wonder if your neighbour also suspects?

But I didn't.

And I also wanted to tell you about my Mum [in her 80s] who became horribly depressed because she was doing way too much for others and not enough for herself. She sold her car to my daughter last year because she was being taken for granted by so many. As she recovered from her depression all she heard was "when you are better you can take me shopping/ to the hospital appointments/ to church etc. in your car. I have missed you being able to drive me to..."

As soon as she told them she was selling the car she felt so much better, and others have filled the gap for all her erstwhile friends.

One lady in particular expected car trips at least once a week. and had never paid or even offered to pay for petrol. Over about 15 years. She has suddenly found she has enough money to pay for taxis - but she has never once asked my Mum if she can get shopping for her, or whether she'd like to go out with her in the taxi.

It is hard, but if this neighbour of yours has carers, it might be better to return the key and stop worrying!

Grannyshoes Mon 23-Jan-17 10:43:11

Hope you have a fantastic birthday today! ?

SussexGirl60 Mon 23-Jan-17 10:43:24

Likely to be a symptom of old age more than anything else, but you're not obliged to keep helping her at all and maybe this is the time to pull back a bit, doing just what you feel you want to-and if that's nothing, so be it. It may be different if she was closely related but there will be other people who can help her-if she needs it.

Swanny Mon 23-Jan-17 10:43:58

Happy birthday Nelliemags and have a lovely day. Start your new year with a smile and enjoy your life flowers

Maidmarion Mon 23-Jan-17 10:45:09

Happy birthday to yooooooooo tra lah!!
Hope you get your problem resolved. It's horrid hearing 'untruths' about ourselves isn't it. As lots of others have said above, I think (for your own peace of mind) that you need to mention that you heard what was said about you, and then stop doing so much - yes, you can be there in emergencies, and if it helps to 'fill your day' then you could do the shopping, but I'd 'back off' somewhat! Hope you get this resolved soon...

michel55 Mon 23-Jan-17 10:47:47

it is sad but not surprising , I have often a similar conversation with my wife about the way she look after my daughter and son in law house ... my thoughts are you can always help someone if they ask but it you do a lot of shores for someone else without been asked ,it will be taken for granted and you should not expect thanks and the person you help will not think better of you ..

Lewlew Mon 23-Jan-17 10:48:28

A very Happy Birthday, Nelliemaggs! cupcake