Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

names

(123 Posts)
Morgana Tue 31-Jan-17 16:06:08

My D D is wondering what names to use with her D D for her 'bits' . The proper anatomical names seem a bit much for a 2 year old. I know it sounds ridiculous but we can t remember what words we used to use. Any suggestions?

hildajenniJ Wed 01-Feb-17 00:31:42

My GS's all have a penis, which is quite right. GD hasn't got a name for hers. When my DC were little, my son had a willie and my daughter called hers a fairy.

absent Wed 01-Feb-17 05:58:28

I don't remember my family in the 1950s giving me a clue about the names of sexual – or, indeed, many other organs. I think that all happened in human biology at school and the little booklet my mother gave me as I approached puberty. I always used proper biological names – for boys and girls – with absentdaughter.

What I do remember is ex-absenthusband telling me that I was completely wrong to teach her the word penis, as she should have a warm and friendly familiar nickname for it. I suggested that, since she was a young girl, natural but not necessarily warm and friendly– and certainly not a familiar nickname – was the wisest choice.

f77ms Wed 01-Feb-17 06:57:38

GS willy and GD fairy . TBH have never had occasion to use either name . absent sounds like he had a bit of an issue I and agree a warm and friendly name is not a good idea .

NanKate Wed 01-Feb-17 08:07:52

Slightly off piste. When DGS was about 3 he had a man to man talk with my DS and told his dad he was worried because his Wllie sometimes stood up on end. DS explained that was quite normal and happened to all boys. After a few minutes DGS said 'when I see grandad next I am going to ask him if his Willy does that too' blush DH was warned about this impending question. He is still waiting for it 3 years later. grin

shysal Wed 01-Feb-17 08:56:33

NanKate grin!

Welshwife Wed 01-Feb-17 09:14:30

In the area we are living it seems that the girls use the name fou-fou but I have no idea about the boys.

Jadi Wed 01-Feb-17 10:07:29

Crotch is simple and accurate.

belladonna Wed 01-Feb-17 10:19:26

We used the proper words..But the kids got a confused when nanny died of angina ...

bionicwoman Wed 01-Feb-17 10:36:10

Funny story.....
A friend of mine has a dog called 'Anouska', which is often shortened to 'Nu-Nu'.
She called round at some friends one evening, and their dog was jumping up at her, as they do.
"Don't worry," she said "he can probably smell my Nu-Nu".

Confusion and red faces all round......

hulahoop Wed 01-Feb-17 10:40:15

Front bottom for girl silly for boy my mum used to say tuppence for a girls

morethan2 Wed 01-Feb-17 10:41:07

Very big grin

HannahLoisLuke Wed 01-Feb-17 10:42:06

When I was a child it was tuppence for the girls. Granddaughters called theirs mini.
My son called his dummy a nut nut!
Love the Volvo.

HannahLoisLuke Wed 01-Feb-17 10:43:22

Nu nu not nut nut! Damned predictive text.

sue1169 Wed 01-Feb-17 10:43:58

always used 'tuppence' for girls. widgy for boys ?. Dont like flower ?

notanan Wed 01-Feb-17 10:47:56

Vulva and vagina. It's no harder to learn at 2 than any other word.

notanan Wed 01-Feb-17 10:49:00

Child protection people have said that children using correct terms can act as a deterrant to abuse. They are less desirable potentials for grooming if they can correctly describe exactly what may happen to them.

notanan Wed 01-Feb-17 10:50:41

Also, there's nothing shameful about vulvas or penises, so children do not need protecting from the proper words

If you don't like hearing children using them, that's your issues, don't put them onto the next generation.

Leah50 Wed 01-Feb-17 11:04:27

Tinkles for girls, willies for boys.

Gaggi3 Wed 01-Feb-17 11:04:35

My dear GD is called Minnie! DGS (8) and his friends at school call testicles Kiwis.

Snowdrop Wed 01-Feb-17 11:08:07

True story : my DGD then aged 4 was meant to be getting ready for bed but instead was dancing round the kitchen stark naked in front of us all. "Vaginas are much prettier than penises" she came out with. To which, my DS replied " Yep, I'm with you there.....".

Womble54 Wed 01-Feb-17 11:10:25

Well I always thought it was a Fanny myself.

Penelopebee Wed 01-Feb-17 11:23:54

Mine was a mini haha when I was little. I always thought it was some sort of American Indian sort of name... but have since found out what a haha is (hidden ditch in field), thanks mum! My daughter's was a foo foo, not to be confused when the band foo fighters came on the scene!

Rosina Wed 01-Feb-17 11:27:47

Not really on the subject but a 'reverse' joke from an earlier response; a neighbour told me her sister was rather posh, and had an expensive car; 'She drives around in a vulva' she announced. I had a rather odd picture in my mind.

GrammaH Wed 01-Feb-17 11:28:54

My 3 year old GS has a tadgerbacker!! Heaven only knows where that came from!!

inishowen Wed 01-Feb-17 11:35:26

My daughter called breasts, Dundee for some reason! The name is still used in our house.