Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How did you choose your kids' names?

(87 Posts)
thatbags Fri 03-Feb-17 20:37:10

There is talk of naming traditions on another thread and it got me wondering...

Apart from our liking the name, for us it was a case of:

1. Can you yell it (or a shortened version of it) up the stairs or down the street easily? "Ahoy!" is all very well (and much used by us) but sometimes you want a name.

2. Will every nth child in the school have the same name? If so, choose something else. There was one other girl in DD1's secondary school (~1200 pupils) with the same first name for part of the time. No-one shared DD2's name. There is one other with the same name as DD3 in her secondary school (~1350 pupils).
And yet all three are well known, classic names.

Elrel Sat 25-Feb-17 14:40:55

Deedaa - in U.K. we had an Audie Murphy in school in the 60s

Elrel Sat 25-Feb-17 14:49:28

A couple of mentions of Edna above; a friend hated being called that. We asked why, she rolled her eyes and said 'Gladys??' Both after Edwardian aunts.
My own aunt was Beatrice Lily, my mother, her SiL, disliked abbreviations and always said it should be Lilian, aunt gently ignored her! Another aunt was Elsie May which now sounds sweet for a baby. Both aunts' names seemed very old fashioned in the 50s!

Jalima Sat 25-Feb-17 18:18:55

Reminds me of that song 'It's Liza with a z not Lisa with an s'

It's with an 's'! grin
Unfortunately the shortened version picked by uni friends is with a 'z' and I don't like it!

Marmight Sat 25-Feb-17 19:47:55

We chose DD1s name just because we liked it : it's a palindrome! DD2 is the female version of our last Kings' name and DD3's name is Shakespearean meaning 'in her image' - or 'last born daughter' which by chance, she was. They were all supposed to be Thomas! I am happy to say our eldest GS was given that name. I was very keen on Francesca but realistically it didn't flow at all well with our surname. I was named after the main character in The Little Princess. I'm happy with that only I have always been known by its derivative! confused

Leticia Sat 25-Feb-17 22:28:14

All the names are compromises- we had to keep going until we had something we both liked. I like classic names.

Leticia Sat 25-Feb-17 22:28:52

Luckily the compromises are all classic names.

Grandma2213 Sun 26-Feb-17 00:05:17

I once worked in a school and was surprised to hear of two children that had the same names as DS's friend and sister though they were much younger. They were unusual names and I discovered that the father had two children with one mother and later, these two with another partner. He had given them the same names!!

stillaliveandkicking Sun 26-Feb-17 01:05:25

Son's dad was an avid footy fan and wanted to name him after a player, I said a definite no to that! His dad is from wales so appeased him/compromised by naming son a real welsh name smile

absent Sun 26-Feb-17 04:45:55

The then Mr absent and I had quite a difficult time finding some sort of convergence about names. We didn't know what variety of baby we were expecting and if absentdaughter had turned out to be a boy, he would probably still be called Baby Absent because there was never the slightest approach to agreement on a boy's name.

After lots of thought and trying a first name with the second name to be sure it was okay (absentdad had a friend called Percy Hersey which was a terrible warning for me) we settled on Grace. We both liked the name, I was going through a Catholic religious revival phase, it worked well with the rhythm of the surname, was quite unusual at the time and couldn't be abbreviated.

She – absentdaughter – loathed the name from fairly early on, called herself by another name and eventually changed it legally. My Mama was horrified because "Grace, dear, is an old woman's name". She was mollified when I pointed out that even old women were babies once.

I tried to give my beautiful daughter a beautiful name but a rose by any other name…

Elrel Mon 27-Feb-17 18:07:03

If it's any consolation a baby relative is almost 1, she is named Grace Lily which I think is beautiful.

Nansypansy Tue 28-Feb-17 06:17:44

My grandmother had 3 sisters all born in the 1800s and they were all called after flowers which I rather like - May, Daisy, Lizzie and Lily ....... all back in fashion now.