Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Autistic grandson waking at night.

(32 Posts)
aquagran Mon 20-Feb-17 22:03:56

My eight year old grandson has started to wake up at night and insists on going into bed with his Mum and Dad. My daughter doesn't want to encourage this, but if he is not allowed, he screams. Not great in the middle of the night, particularly as he has a younger sister. Also it is distressing for all. I know this is not unusual with children on the spectrum, but has anybody out there got any advice please?

hildajenniJ Fri 24-Feb-17 08:43:20

My DGS's all sleep in the same room. They are short of space in their current rented flat, but it's all they can afford in Glasgow. They would love their own rooms, particularly GS1 who is an Aspie.

Greenfinch Fri 24-Feb-17 10:32:48

My autistic grandson is not good at sharing so on the odd occasion he has to sleep in the same room as his twin sister he is not happy."She turns the pages of her book over too loudly and I cant sleep" he complains.It is a good job she is a tolerant child.

nannynoo Mon 24-Apr-17 02:43:43

Ahhh my Grandson currently lives with me and he is 9 with Autism

Sometimes he wakes in the night but I go into his room and settle him down , sometimes squeeze in beside him till he falls asleep again , it depends if he is upset or not as sometimes he does not want to let me go and other times he wants to go back to sleep quickly , undisturbed and wants me to go and says ''bye bye'' to me and settles back down himself

He sleeps in with me when he is ill as I worry about his breathing as he has asthma and when he is better he knows he goes back to sleeping in his own room again

We have some upheaval at the moment so as a treat now he sleeps in with me every Saturday night only and he knows that is his fun treat night as he stays up a little later too , bless him smile

jacksmum Wed 26-Apr-17 16:37:49

I wonder if this would help your children sleep,?
gro.co.uk/product/gro-clock/

hildajenniJ Wed 26-Apr-17 16:43:43

DGS 2 now has diagnosis of autism. He has a gro clock. He knows not to get up, or not to bother anyone until the clock changes to sunshine.

Norah Wed 26-Apr-17 16:48:01

My GC have stuffed cuddle bears or dogs with lights and gentle sounds.

www.amazon.co.uk/Sleep-Tight-All-Night-Puppy/dp/B01EAL3YQ6/ref=sr_1_14?s=baby&ie=UTF8&qid=1493221245&sr=1-14&keywords=night+light+bear&tag=gransnetforum-21