Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Funeral Music

(91 Posts)
kittylester Fri 24-Feb-17 18:24:41

I've not been on here for the last couple of days (very busy, broken unplugged internet!!!) but I'm hoping that GN can come up with some suggestions for music for Mum's funeral.

We need a song for entering the crematorium, one for leaving and a piece of reflective music for the middle of the service. Plus 2 nice hymns!! Apart from the reflective one we'd quite like jolly (ish)'easy listening' songs. Please.grin

Mum was 93 and liked people like Matt Munroe.

Thank you lovely Grans/granddads!

mumofmadboys Mon 27-Feb-17 15:04:24

Phoenix At least people will know those two hymns and hopefully will sing. I hope you find the funeral service a beginning on the road to healing.xx

Newquay Mon 27-Feb-17 16:29:57

Deepest sympathy Phoenix-hope all goes well whatever is chosen.
I have left "suggestions" with my will:-
Go in to "I know my redeemer liveth" with words and faded as need be!
Video of Crucified Man by Grham Kendick
Last song played to my dear family and friends "the Lord bless you and keep you"
And go out to Faure's In Paradisium.
As other have said I won't be there so they must do whatever helps them but the above covers my Christian faith and love of singing.

Iam64 Mon 27-Feb-17 18:10:01

I love the King of Love my Shepherd is. We sang it at my father's funeral, it was his one request about the way we'd say our final goodbye's to him.

mumofmadboys Wed 01-Mar-17 12:21:31

It is also a bit more upbeat than Crimond's The Lord is my shepherd although both based on Psalm 23.

00mam00 Sun 05-Mar-17 17:16:09

I am already planning my funeral so that my daughter won't have the headache of doing it when I am gone.

It will be a humanist service. I will be played in with 'Kontakion funeral song' from Dr Zhivago and Lara's Theme. And played out with Eric Idle 'Always look on the bright side of life'. I don't want to depart to the sound of weeping and wailing.

Grandma2213 Sun 05-Mar-17 22:53:28

00mam00 I've been planning mine for years but keep changing the music. Currently I want 'Make your own kind of music' by Mama Cass Elliot which is a message to my DGC. 'Stop Crying your Heart Out' by Oasis for my DSs (I don't like Oasis but they do). And 'I'm Ready for Roses Now' by Marti Webb just for me, as I leave. My DSs have suggested 'Ding Dong the Witch is Dead' which I also quite like!

Suesbarn Wed 18-Jul-18 19:22:21

There are lots of ideas here: funeralpotatoes.com/resources/music/funeral-music/

Floradora9 Thu 19-Jul-18 19:37:41

Have a direct cremation so no service just a scattering of ashes at a later date . This is what I will have . I feel it is so much kinder on the loved ones left behind .

trisher Thu 19-Jul-18 20:23:06

We had The Blue Danube for entering, then Bing Crosby's "I'll be seeing you" at the end. We did finish with the Radetsky March as people were leaving Mum loved the new Year's day concerts from Vienna and always clapped along.
Lord of all hopefulness and Love Divine for the hymns.
Her sister who died soon after her had the duet from the pearl fishers for entering.

FlexibleFriend Thu 19-Jul-18 21:29:58

I don't actually want a funeral so there won't be any music. I found both my parents funerals really difficult no doubt because of my age. I was 14 when my mum died at 48 and 16 when my dad died when he was 61. I really don't want to put my kids through that, even though they'll obviously be a lot older and more mature than I was. I've spoken to both of them about it and said what I'd like them to do and they haven't raised any objections.

Blue45Sapphire Sat 21-Jul-18 11:08:41

Joined this thread a bit late! For my DH's funeral we had The Blue Danube going in (he loved it from the film 2001), the Frank and Nancy Sinatra song Something Stupid (our song), just one hymn, Love Divine,(one of our wedding hymns), and at the end Calypso by John Denver, as DH was a keen sub-aqua diver and yacht skipper, and Jacques Cousteau was his hero.

jeffreylarson Fri 23-Nov-18 05:07:35

My father grandmother used to listen to Matt Monro songs. Famous songs for the funeral by him are One day and Softly I Leave You. My condolences are with you.

BBbevan Fri 23-Nov-18 05:16:56

I have already written my funeral instructions. I want The Arrival of the Queen of Sheba to go in, and
my favourite When you walk through a Storm at the end. I hope my DCs will approve and I just want to make it easy for them.

Deedaa Sun 25-Nov-18 22:35:29

Can't remember how we started my mother's funeral but d7ring the service we sang Will Your Anchor Hold because it suited her merchant navy family background and was a favourite of David Penhaligon. At the end we had When The Saints Go Marching In - by Satchmo of course! For my own funeral I'm thinking about the Lachrymosa and Cream's Sunshine Of Your Love.

M0nica Mon 26-Nov-18 16:55:30

Galen, DH wants that.

The last music to go by my ears must be Beethoven, preferable the Pastoral Symphony, 5th movement Shepherds’ song. Happy and thankful feelings after the storm