Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Funeral Music

(90 Posts)
kittylester Fri 24-Feb-17 18:24:41

I've not been on here for the last couple of days (very busy, broken unplugged internet!!!) but I'm hoping that GN can come up with some suggestions for music for Mum's funeral.

We need a song for entering the crematorium, one for leaving and a piece of reflective music for the middle of the service. Plus 2 nice hymns!! Apart from the reflective one we'd quite like jolly (ish)'easy listening' songs. Please.grin

Mum was 93 and liked people like Matt Munroe.

Thank you lovely Grans/granddads!

baubles Fri 24-Feb-17 18:30:29

What immediately came to mind at the mention of Matt Munro was 'Softly as I leave you'

Not terribly jolly though.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=lQR5iDsuud8

Jayh Fri 24-Feb-17 18:36:52

I love Matt Munroe. I am listening to him singing Love Story just now. Such a wonderful voice and so many beautiful songs.
There are lots of choices of music on Spotify, if you have access to it.
Good luck with your search. ?

nanaK54 Fri 24-Feb-17 18:37:31

My mum went in to Glenn Miller and the last song was 'Goodnight Sweetheart' this was song that her father had sung to her when she was a little girl. She was also 93 when she died 2 years ago.

Grannyboots1 Fri 24-Feb-17 18:37:49

We had Matt Munro softly as I leave you for my dear father aged 90 back in October. The words were perfect for the occasion. I play it often at home, singing along and crying too.

baubles Fri 24-Feb-17 18:42:21

This is beautiful

m.youtube.com/watch?v=RYypmgIYOVQ

Daddima Fri 24-Feb-17 18:49:11

Unforgettable by Nat King Cole?

We'll Meet Again by Vera Lynn?

Pachelbel's Canon is a good reflective piece, as is Lachrymosa from Mozart's Requiem.

I'm having a full Verdi Requiem ( as long as I die soon, so my musical friends are still alive!)

I am also having this favourite from the Saw Doctors.

youtu.be/10xkw8slmso

The words are lovely.

( Though I fear there will be sniggering at the line where it says I want " somewhere warm" ! )

mumofmadboys Fri 24-Feb-17 19:04:16

Hymns need to well known by those present ideally so folk actually sing.King of love my shepherd is or Make me a channel of your peace perhaps. Hope it all goes smoothly Kitty.

baubles Fri 24-Feb-17 19:07:20

Nimrod is so moving.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=NhnMd1Jl7SA

What a wonderful world- Louis Armstrong
m.youtube.com/watch?v=CWzrABouyeE

I'm not religious but many of my family are and this hymn is well loved among them.

www.google.co.uk/search?safe=active&client=safari&hl=en-gb&q=john+michael+talbot+here+i+am,+lord&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgFuLVT9c3NEwyM0_ONo3PUOIBcQtNs1KSzCsztCSCUpPzi1Iy89Kdc0qLS1KLgjNTUssTK4sBayUnyDkAAAA&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj4y9bCtqnSAhWJDMAKHaY0DUgQ-4cBCHQwEg

I've had to help organise several funerals unfortunately.

aggie Fri 24-Feb-17 19:08:15

I want Be Not Afraid for mine

Iam64 Fri 24-Feb-17 19:09:00

For my parents, we had a quiet peace to welcome folks, two or three very familiar hymns which everyone present knew and sing along to and a bouncy Glenn Millar as we left. My parents had religious ceremonies as they'd wishes, both my parents law had humanist services. Sending love kitty, I'm sure you will bring it all together x

Marydoll Fri 24-Feb-17 19:10:46

So do I Aggie, but I can't hear it without howling. I had it at my mum's funeral.

Maggiemaybe Fri 24-Feb-17 19:13:18

The party's over, it's time to call it a day, Doris Day.
I'll be seeing you. I like Bing Crosby's version.

Abide with Me still chokes me, and it's one that people often know.

None of them very jolly though! I've got my thinking cap on now.

Maggiemaybe Fri 24-Feb-17 19:14:41

Oh, yes, I love Here I am, Lord (*baubles*' link).

Cherrytree59 Fri 24-Feb-17 19:15:35

Amazing grace.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 24-Feb-17 19:15:50

We were at a crematorium funeral recently when "Pie Jesu" by Lloyd Webber was played before the service and it was really lovely and very peaceful. I agree with mumofmadboys that the hymns need to be well known. Abide With Me or the 23rd psalm to Crimond are both known as funeral hymns, possibly because they are well known.

Best wishes for the funeral, kittylester; I hope you find that it helps you. flowers

Marydoll Fri 24-Feb-17 19:16:13

It is so distressing and difficult making all the arrangements. Kitty, I am sure your mum will be looking down on you and be proud of you.

aggie Fri 24-Feb-17 19:26:17

Ah but we won't hear it Marydoll !

aggie Fri 24-Feb-17 19:29:06

Just back from a funeral , very sobering . I hope all goes well for you Kitty, xxx

Marydoll Fri 24-Feb-17 19:41:21

Aggie, my children have different ideas for my funeral hymns, but that's for another day.

aggie Fri 24-Feb-17 19:45:19

My lot will probably ignore all I say ! I have already been told Funerals are for the consolation of the living !

Jayanna9040 Fri 24-Feb-17 19:45:29

In heavenly love abiding has a swing to it that makes it easy to sing and I love the positive words.
Also love the New World Symphony for the reflective piece.

Galen Fri 24-Feb-17 20:00:09

I want the Sanctus from Verdi' requiem

Galen Fri 24-Feb-17 20:01:01

For my mother we had her favourite, the grand march from Aida

Lona Fri 24-Feb-17 20:15:16

I'm requesting Mozart's Lachrymosa but I could end up with Fat Bottomed Girls by Queen!
I won't care will I? grin