Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What paperwork do wish you could have easily accessed when dealing with a deceased relative.

(60 Posts)
Flossieturner Thu 02-Mar-17 11:39:00

We have just made new Wills and are now getting together a box of paperwork, so that it will be easy for kids to deal with our affairs. Also for each other as we both have paperwork all over the place.So far we have collected Wills, PoAs, utility bills, deeds, details of our money and insurance documents.

If anyone else has done similar may I ask what else you may have in your box? Also, if you have had to wind up the affairs of deceased person, what would have made it easier for you? What things made winding us their affairs difficult? Thanks

AlgeswifeVal Sat 04-Mar-17 23:05:28

Flossieturner, can you please provide the link to do the lasting power of attorney on line. Thank you.

hulahoop Sun 05-Mar-17 10:18:53

We made a will several years ago reading this thread made me realise I need to make sure company still exists, and I never thought about passwords . Can someone explain how I do a spreadsheet which is protected I'm not very computer savvy ?

Flossieturner Sun 05-Mar-17 10:54:10

I don't know how to do links .Hopefully someone can tell me. Google ,Office of public guardian LPA and it will take you to the site.

EmilyHarburn Sun 05-Mar-17 11:00:30

Age UK have a life book which might help
www.ageuk.org.uk/home-and-care/home-safety-and-security/lifebook/

Flossieturner Sun 05-Mar-17 11:44:35

Despite my experiences detailed up thread, my OH would not get round to completing his LPA. I got quite upset about it and one day, after reading an article in the paper I put this to him.

"If you had a stroke and could not communicate or had dementia how could I access your savings or sell the house to move closer to the kids". He said "well you just.........
I said "no I don't just, because there is no PoA in place for me to do it and I think it is really selfish. I have protected you but you have not done the same for me"

This sounded really hard but it spurred him to do it.

Legs55 Sun 05-Mar-17 15:54:16

My DH died 4 years ago after a short terminal illness. Luckily we had joint Bank Account & Savings Account, only his ISA had to be closed, Banks only need to see Death Certificate as they scan it onto their system.

I had already changed all Utility Bills into my name many years before as I dealt with all the finances so no problem there. Car was in his name but he had not driven for many months so I had changed main driver on Insurance to myself (DD has been a named driver for years). I had difficulty persuading my DH to sign V5 to change car ownership, he couldn't see why although he knew he was dying, I explained as Insurance was now in my name car should be, he signed, that did save me hassle with DVLA.

Every Pension etc will require a copy of Death Certificate so have a look & see how many will be required, saves waiting for certs to be returned. Do it once only informs Government Depts, eg State Pension.

I need to update my Will, I have my copy but original is held by Solicitors in Somerset & I now live in Devon, also now I'm widowed & have a new property & another DGS due in May, a Revision is due.
I also intend to do LPAs soon.

Unless Finances are complicated I would not use Solicitors as Executors, they can charge hefty fees which come out of the Estate before you receive any Legacy. If there is Property to be sold they will deal with that also. My DD is my Executrix & we are my DM's, Probate can be dealt with by any-one (I worked for Civil Service).

I keep my up to date papers in an expanding folder so everything is on handgrin

rubysong Sun 05-Mar-17 23:14:35

This is slightly off the subject and apologies if it has been mentioned before but I wonder if anyone heard Ed Sheeran on the One Show singing his song called Supermarket Flowers, I can see that being high on the list of funeral songs.

Liz46 Mon 06-Mar-17 08:01:06

Thanks for the advice about the AgeUK booklet. We have sent off for two of them.

AlgeswifeVal Mon 06-Mar-17 22:40:07

My thanks to Flosieturner,Emily Harburn and Legs55. Very useful infirmation all round. I intend to follow all the instructions and advice you gave given me and others. Val