Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What discounts /reductions for 60+?

(103 Posts)
waldorfgrosi Fri 03-Mar-17 14:47:53

My husband and I will turn 60 next month. May I ask you what kind of discounts you are aware that we could benefit from? We live in the south-east and are both working.
One of the reasons for asking is that my dry cleaner asked me yesterday if there was a member in my household who was over 60 as the would offer a 10% discount (needless to say that my hopes of looking in my late 40s went out of the window at that point).grin

Bluesmum Sat 04-Mar-17 13:07:30

I don't remember getting any discounts at sixty, but I really cannot wait to reach 80, when we all get an extra 25p per weeks extra pension!!! Oh, the excitement of deciding what to spend it on!

hicaz46 Sat 04-Mar-17 13:19:15

Our local garden centre gives a discount on one day of the week and some DIY stores do the same. Ask wherever you go you have nothing to lose.

Cosafina Sat 04-Mar-17 13:19:15

I'm in London so I LOVE my Oyster card which, coupled with a Senior Railcard means I can have a day in Brighton for less than £10 grin.

I'm also pleased to find out that I get free prescriptions, free eye tests, and I've applied for the Boots over 60 thing that means you get 10 points instead of 4 per £ you spend.

Cheaper entry tickets to attractions as well. I'm still working, but by rights I should be retired instead of having to work till I'm 66. The government has diddled us out of I-don't-know-how-many thousands (I think I read £40,000 somewhere) so I'm happy to get the few crumbs left to me

JackieBee1 Sat 04-Mar-17 13:24:39

WASPI demo on Weds (8th March). Please join us!

TillyWhiz Sat 04-Mar-17 13:44:38

Not a discount as such but you will be invited to do bowel cancer screening - I do enjoy breaking that fun news to new 60 year old!

Vero122 Sat 04-Mar-17 13:47:06

If you ask, when renewing National Trust membership, it comes at a reduced rate.

Lazigirl Sat 04-Mar-17 14:07:09

If you want to increase chances of making it to 80 and your 25p reward Bluesmum you can have free flu vac and pneumococcal vac over 65 and shingles vac at 70!

lizzypopbottle Sat 04-Mar-17 14:23:46

Wyevale garden centres often have over 60s deals in the cafe. You need their loyalty card.
I'm 65 and had no idea that Boots gave double points for over 60s!
I haven't applied for my travel pass. I prefer to drive.
I don't donate my winter fuel payment to charity, as some well off folks do (or so I've heard).
Here's a link that might be interesting:
www.seniorsdiscounts.co.uk

K8tie Sat 04-Mar-17 15:51:29

Get over yourself GillyBob . . . how do you think rich people stay rich? A forum like this is absolutely NO place to come and dump your bad humour . . . whatever it is that is bugging you at the moment. There's no excuse . . . sorry!

Anya Sat 04-Mar-17 15:54:49

But it is OK for K8tie to stir things up when everything has been resolved and forgiven.

don't you just love Text Spell

annsixty Sat 04-Mar-17 16:09:25

I do take advantage of any discounts I can and will indulge even more in July when I get my extra 25p, hooray. Do I spend it all in one go or save it up for a year and hope I live to spend it.
On a serious note, my H was 80 last year and we were very surprised when we got £300 winter fuel allowance, we don't get more next year when I will be 80. We do actually give it to charity but that is our choice and I certainly don't expect others to do it.

Anya Sat 04-Mar-17 16:15:44

I'm in a running battle with my OH Ann6T (how's that for text spell wink ) as we each get £100 but 'tis I it's me what pays the utility bills and he won't hand over his share. Is this grounds for doing a Lysistrata perhaps?

cc Sat 04-Mar-17 16:52:46

isoulsby001 I lived in London for 40 years but left not long before I was 60, so I felt a bit cheated to have to wait for my Bus Pass! I do really feel for women born in the 1950's who have to wait for their pensions, I was lucky and only had to wait 2 years, but some of my slightly younger friends will have to wait for years.

In most areas passes can only be used after the morning rush hour, to give working people a better chance of getting onto public transport, but I agree with Riverwalk that most discounts are offered to put "bums on seats" and I don't feel that other people are disadvantaged by older people's discounts. They tend to be offered at times when many people are working in any case. If people can't work for some genuine reason they are given similar benefits. This isn't a smug pensioners response, my own daughter has a disability and does get a bus pass!

I didn't realise that prescriptions were free after 60 and went on paying for them. Also thought that the railcard was only available after pensionable age? Rail fares are so high now that even discounted prices are too high for many people. I often use National Express coaches, they can cost as little as £2 for a journey that would cost £50+ on the trains.

Our local authority has a card for all their council tax payers that gives free or discounted entrance to many attractions, regardless of age. Many residents' associations also negotiate discounts with local businesses for their member, and their membership fees are usually negligible.

amber22 Sat 04-Mar-17 17:08:39

Free prescriptions and sight tests. If you are both retired, ie possibly home more than working people, tell your home insurance provider and you might get a reduction on your next bill. Everything else I can think of has already been mentioned.

annsixty Sat 04-Mar-17 17:15:13

Anya PoA is very liberating.
Also H is quite happy as he thinks all of his money must be sitting in a big metal box at the local branch of his bank as " he never spends any".
This is quite true but I do??

Norah Sat 04-Mar-17 17:24:02

Some airlines have "Sr discounts" and the tickets thus purchased are usually refundable.

SunRa Sat 04-Mar-17 17:36:30

Technically I don't exist ...like a lot of boaters ...downside I can't register to vote or get a GP (despite NHS England guidelines). I pay tax as I am employed but have a mailbox address so aren't really classified as living anywhere. My bank and credit cards are registered there - did that just after I sold my cottage & moved onto the water in 2015.

I will re-enter the world & get back on the radar at some stage this year....if only to be able to go to a GP rather than a walk in - as I'm not eligible to access breast or bowel screenings. The systems are far too rigid to cope with anyone who deviates from what they perceive to be the norm. But that's a whole other discussion!!

joannewton46 Sat 04-Mar-17 17:42:06

Boots already mentioned.
Specsavers usually have an over 60s deal of some kind.
B&Q do a 10% off on Wednesdays for over 60s (you need a free card from the checkout).
Odeon cinemas do a cheap showing at 11am but not sure which day(s).
Make sure you get your bus pass and railcard so you get free/cheaper travel.
Some hotel chains offer discounts.

Meriel Sat 04-Mar-17 17:54:06

I'd love to know which airlines offer these senior discounts, Norah.

Griselda Sat 04-Mar-17 18:05:54

I am stunned at the generous provision of Oyster cards. In this neck of the rural woods there are no buses so no point in bus passes. I really, really want to go to London for the day and the rail fare, even if I bought a Railcard is £410.
I consider myself fairly well off, but I can't justify an outlay like that.

Norah Sat 04-Mar-17 18:12:44

Meriel Google may have a list of schemes. We have received Sr pricing on BA, DAL, AirFrance and SWA (across the pond in America, bits of Mexica and the Islands).

Esspee Sat 04-Mar-17 18:41:32

Anya, if this was Mumsnet maybe your Lysistrata solution might work, being gransnet I'm sort of wondering if he would notice. wink

annsixty Sat 04-Mar-17 18:45:01

Well mine wouldn't. That is all in a parallel universe. TMI?

Anya Sat 04-Mar-17 18:47:53

Ah....but if it was Mumsnet they wouldn't get a Winter Fuel Allowance would they? However you are probably right so I might refuse to cook his meals instead, on the grounds I can't afford the gas smile

Grandmama Sat 04-Mar-17 19:51:36

Griselda - have you tried the internet site 'Split the Ticket'? You can save a fortune by splitting the train ticket - you might finish up with several tickets for the same journey but it's worth it. The last time I went to Birmingham the ticket office clerk kindly found the cheapest ticket for me.