Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Hips and airport security

(34 Posts)
Tippy22 Sat 01-Apr-17 16:57:46

I'm going abroad for the first time since having both my hips replaced. My husband says they'll set all the alams off when I go through security. Although he was joking it's got me wondering. Has anybody had experience of this.

Newquay Sun 02-Apr-17 17:47:02

We usually go, a family party of 8, via Manchester and find the security officious and grumpy. One year, when youngest DGD was about 2 and happened To be walking with her older teenage sister, officious grumpy woman said that 2 year had to stand with her feet on markers and hold out her arms for 2 mins. DD sighed and wandered over to be told I shall have to fetch my superior cos, of course, 2year old DGD was having none of this malarkey! Said superior appeared, 2 year old,not impressed at all, but superioir was lovely, chatted with DGD asking about her lovely hair bobbles, who had done her hair so well then, frisking her thoroughly the while, lovely dress etc and finishing up with what gorgeous shoes-job done!
The following year we went via Brum, much better. Job done just as thoroughly but pleasantly. So just smile, play the game and NO JOKING!

HildaW Sun 02-Apr-17 17:00:21

I regularly set off the alarms....and do not have any fancy metal work (I've even taken my dental plate out before to no avail).....I've long since resigned myself to being patted down by some grumpy uniformed person. Then there are the times I do go through ok but, DH gets hauled over! We always get separated somehow and it all adds to my stress levels. Once finally through I am often found sniffing from a bottle of aromatherapy oil so that I can calm down before I get on the plane!

annodomini Sun 02-Apr-17 13:57:20

My right hip and left shoulder implants invariably set the alarms off and I get patted down. On one occasion, however, it was apparently the metal button at the top of my jeans that excited them. Surely I can't have been the only woman wearing jeans at Manchester Airport that day. On one of the occasions I was flying to France I learnt the French for hip implant: une prothese de la hanche. Quite useful.

rosesarered Sun 02-Apr-17 13:19:27

absent....Mr Absent must have a magnetic personality!grin

rosesarered Sun 02-Apr-17 13:17:15

My DH has a pacemaker, he has to tell them about it, and so doesn't go through the scanner.

Ginny42 Sun 02-Apr-17 12:41:41

Forgot the important bit - it was the fasteners or the circular strap things at the back that set the bleeper off.

Ginny42 Sun 02-Apr-17 12:37:21

Whilst all that was going on re the bra, my bag with purse, passport, credit cards, phone, etc were unattended on the conveyor belt. That was very stressful and it took me a while to calm down.

Bon voyage everyone! Hope your travels will be trouble free. sunshine

Primetime Sun 02-Apr-17 08:49:52

Just from a man's point of view, what if a woman was wearing stockings & suspenders? my wife still does

felice Sun 02-Apr-17 08:44:53

P.S. she kept asking me if it was my bra and I kept telling her I was not wearing one.

felice Sun 02-Apr-17 08:43:31

My artificial heart valve has set off a few, once got so ratty with a woman in Amsterdam that I pulled down the front of my jumper and asked her if she would like to remove the thing. She came so close to the scar that her nose was almost touching my chest. It was not long after the op so the scar was really livid and red.
My knee has never been a problem but now have a metal bar in my arm and pins holding together one finger, will just have to wait and see.

tanith Sun 02-Apr-17 07:53:48

I thought bras nowadays have plastic wires in them confused

absent Sun 02-Apr-17 07:09:52

Ginny42 I never wear an underwired bra when flying as I dread the sort of scenario you have described.

Ginny42 Sun 02-Apr-17 05:22:07

My bra set off the alarm at LAX. The treatment by a man was brusque and rude. He shouted 'Stand there Maam!' Then proceeded to call loudly 'Female assistance, Female Assustance'. I felt like a criminal with everyone looking at this terrorist gran with the bleeping bra! When the female arrived to pat me down she was very sweet and apologised.

absent Sun 02-Apr-17 01:38:32

I also have a pin in my leg but have never set off any alarms. I thought it was only magnetic metals that did that. Mr absent, however, who has no metal concealed in his body, sets off the alarms at every airport. Even stripped down to his underpants with guns pointing at him, he set off the alarm at LAX.

glammanana Sat 01-Apr-17 23:04:53

We where behind a party of four last week going through security at M/chester and the two men where joking about the security in a rather loud way they where pulled out of the line and taken into separate rooms for questioning leaving their wives in tears wondering if they where going to be allowed on their flight,these where not young men but in their mid 50s so should have more sense.So never ever joke at security

Newquay Sat 01-Apr-17 22:43:10

Yes my hip always sets it off so I just poi t to hip and, as you say, get wanded down. There's so many of us about now it's routine. BUT never make any sort of jokes at security. . . . . You may well regret it!

Deedaa Sat 01-Apr-17 21:41:23

My knees always set the alarms off. Disappointingly I am never patted down by the rather gorgeous security guy, but always by the hatchet faced female sad

Stansgran Sat 01-Apr-17 20:13:46

I've told them about my hip but it doesn't beep. Ever.

Teetime Sat 01-Apr-17 19:03:39

My right foot is screwed together but hasn't made any security alarms go off yet. I think they are used to seeing these bit and pieces but as someone else said no jokes please!!!

phoenix Sat 01-Apr-17 19:00:51

My lower jaw is wired, pinned, possibly even bionic! I did set the alarms off one time at Charles De Gaulle, but trying to explain to the security person was not easy! I ended up being "patted down", but as they couldn't find anything about my person, they had to let me through.

(Luckily they didn't find the stash of diamonds hidden within my chicken fillet bra inserts, or the high quality cocaine that I was smuggling inside an apparently normal incontinence pad wink And I think we should all keep quiet about the hemorrhoid suppositories.)

wot Sat 01-Apr-17 18:15:47

I've got titanium in my skull! It's usually my belt buckle that causes the alarms to go off. I wouldn't worry at all..

Grannyknot Sat 01-Apr-17 17:54:37

My daughter has a hip replacement and yep, she sets off the scanner.

Jalima Sat 01-Apr-17 17:54:24

Seriously, do not let your DH make jokes at airport security.
They rarely have a GSOH!

tanith Sat 01-Apr-17 17:52:27

[Tippy22] a large piece of very sticky tape grin

grannypiper Sat 01-Apr-17 17:48:36

My husband was issued with a patient ID card that has his name date of surgery, site of implant, Surgeons name and Hospital number on it.He was given it before he left hospital after his Hip replacement.