Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Changing Hairdresser

(59 Posts)
ggmarion Thu 06-Apr-17 08:31:49

My local village hairdresser who I have gone to for the 10 years I have lived here wasn't able to fit me in when I wanted although did her best to do so. I went to a hairdresser in the next town and had the best haircut for years. The experience was so much more pleasant,modern shop, head massage, coffee etc. It did cost a bit more but I felt it was worth it. My dilemma is that I feel disloyal if I change and would feel embarrassed if I met current hairdresser in the shop or around the village. What would you do?

mrsjones Fri 07-Apr-17 17:09:42

I often change hairdressers as I do find that the first couple of times I get a decent cut but after that not so good as the stylist just chats and doesn't seem to concentrate. I live in an urban area where there are lots to choose from and never feel I have to stick to one. I never book another appointment in advance as I like to see how my hair "settles" and also never tip as I feel that the price is high enough.

cupcake1 Fri 07-Apr-17 15:05:46

I changed my hairdresser a couple of years ago, mainly due to the expense, and started seeing the hairdresser my daughter has. She was much cheaper and for the first few times of cutting and highlighting I was happy with the result. Things went steadily downhill to a point where I needed my hair cut and coloured more frequently which somewhat defeated the object price wise! I have just gone back to the old hairdresser (tail between legs!) and am far happier with the styling, colour and professionalism - although I did get a 'grilling' as to where I'd been blush I just feel a bit guilty for my DD now as she's gets quizzed each time she goes as to where I am hmm

pollyperkins Fri 07-Apr-17 14:02:30

To the person who said her hairdresser always makes the next appointment just say, ad I do, that youare not sure what you'll be doing st that time and you'll ring nearer the time. If you get in the habit of this it's easier to change!
Also if looking for a good hairdresser in the area ask someone (or several people) whose hair you admire where they go to get their hair done., and follow up their recommendations. People are usually flattered and glad to help!

Charleygirl Fri 07-Apr-17 13:02:20

I went to a local salon for years but suddenly I was being charged more than advertised in the brochure with no explanation. I am not a total idiot so I went somewhere else around 3 times, was not happy there so I found yet another salon.

I live in London, prices differ a lot so I have to be careful that I do not have to take out a mini mortgage to pay for the stylist, coffee maker, hair washer etc.

annemac101 Fri 07-Apr-17 09:44:28

It is tricky to change hairdresser but I'm not sure that the hairdresser actually minds,they have so many clients. I moved to a new area about a year and a half ago and I find I find a hairdresser who cuts my hair good the first time and makes a mess of it the second time. This has happened in the same salon with three different hairdressers. I now try not to ask for the same girl so not feeling bad if I change. Excuses I used to use before if I tried another salon were,"My friend is a hairdresser who does my hair when she visits "

Nannymarg53 Fri 07-Apr-17 09:04:57

I've got the exact same dilemma. My usual stylist has been cutting my hair at home for over 10 years at an extremely reasonable price but it's hit and miss whether I get a good cut. This last time she hacked it! So I've booked a consultation at Andrew Collinge in Chester next week. Did the expense ? But now I have to tell my lovely usual stylist what I've done?I've just this minute texted her to cancel my next appointment because it's too short so I'm growing it! That'll do for now! It's tricky isn't it?

mrsmopp Fri 07-Apr-17 08:26:21

All customers of any type of business have the freedom and the right to shop around. All businesses know ans accept this. Do not have any second thoughts about it - just be glad you found a better salon and are happy there.
I shopped around various salons for years, but now we have a lovely guy who comes to the house and DH and I get the best haircut ever, he's brilliant. Got there in the end!

grandmac Thu 06-Apr-17 21:53:50

My next door neighbour bought a salon in the village we live in. She isn't a hairdresser but had a partner who was. So I started to go to her but never really enjoyed the experience. None of the niceties I'd got used to, (consultation before starting anything, coffee in a cafetière and massage chairs) but worse the cut was awful. I kept going as she was a neighbour but when my daughter said "that hairdresser isn't doing you any favours" I knew I had to find somewhere else. That was about 3 years ago and I still feel guilty every time I see my neighbour.

Diddy1 Thu 06-Apr-17 20:45:55

Definately change. I have been to my current hairdresser for two years since moving to a new small Town. I have been satisfied with her, but recently she had to go into Hospital prematurely as her baby came early, I went to one of the other girls, and was delighted with the cut, I think I will stay with her, as "my"hairdressser will be off for at least a year, its a good opportunity to have someone else cut my hair, why are we always so embarrassed in a situation like this!

Iam64 Thu 06-Apr-17 18:33:41

I was sad to have to change a couple of years ago because the stylist I'd seen for 28 years had a career change. I moved to a much younger stylist, she is fantastic. I wish I'd done it years ago - I'd definitely got stuck in a rut and felt loyal to my original hair cutter/colourist so I feel fortunate he moved on.

1974cookie Thu 06-Apr-17 18:10:23

I would definitely change.
If you have found a hairdresser who has made you feel as good as you sounded on this forum, then She/He is a keeper.
I have an absolutely wonderful hairdresser. I have so much trust in her that when I finally decided to have my long hair chopped off, I gave her free rein.
What she did with my hair was amazing. I had, and still have, lots of compliments about my shorter style.
At that time, I used to dye my hair at home, a sort of mid brown which was okay.
After a few months, I grew it out and I decided to have my hairdresser do this tedious task for me and once again gave her free rein. She changed the colour completely. She used 2 different shades, blonde and a soft caramel.She used foils to achieve what is a really natural effect because she matched it to the colour of my eyebrows. Brilliant !! I feel like a million dollars thanks to my wonderful Hairdresser.
Hairdressers like mine are hard to find.
Hang on to yours.
?

NanTheWiser Thu 06-Apr-17 17:36:34

Your money - your choice! I have been going to a local salon run by a Turkish hairdresser (and his family), for more than 20 years. He has amazing scissor skills, and I love the way he cuts mine - which is kept quite short, so needs doing every 6 weeks or so. He goes back to Turkey several times a year, and last year while he was away, I went to a very new, trendy salon nearby, and was attended by a very young (and rather silly) girl - never again! She had no idea how to cut, and spent the whole appointment regaling me with all her woes, so I won't make that mistake again...

goldengirl Thu 06-Apr-17 17:08:08

It took me a while to pluck up the courage to move but I'm so glad I did. She keeps up with the latest trends and has some super ideas that really suit me. GO FOR IT!
By the way I don't tip either - but give her Christmas 'bonus'
I never tip the hair washer either but give them feedback after they've finished - and tell my hairdresser too.

TerriBull Thu 06-Apr-17 16:39:25

Meant to add to my post, of late if I am going to a new hairdresser to have colour put on, I now always ask beforehand usually when I make the appointment, if I can have a tester put on behind the ear to eliminate the possibility of a reaction. Have read some horrible stories, albeit rare, of how a few women have had a very bad allergic reaction to whatever chemicals are in the dye.

Margi Thu 06-Apr-17 16:19:25

When I finished work, I didn't want to have to go into town just for a haircut, as mine needs doing every 4-5 weeks. Other than that it is no trouble. I went in the village. First hairdresser: ok for the first few times, then she thought I was a captive customer and didn't bother. 2nd hairdresser: could only seem to cut it short, whatever I said. After that I was in the wilderness for a few years, and went to various other salons. Then another salon opened in our village, posher and more expensive. But wow, you get what you pay for. My hair is straight and shiny, so I don't have it washed, just sprayed with water. All the girls, and the male boss, are good cutters, so I just book online as soon as the shape begins to go and have whoever is available. £37, but the top man is more. I didn't ever see the first 2 hairdressers in the village, and I'm sure they wouldn't have known me even if I did. If you are over 60, they just don't see you as important. Glad to say this new place sees all their clients as individuals.

charliebb Thu 06-Apr-17 16:02:12

I have a similar dilemma and reading some of the comments has inspired me to get up my courage and do what I should have done months ago. For the last six or so cuts my village hairdresser has left my hair longer one side than the other and despite my telling her and going back to try and get it sorted she still can't see it. I know it's time for a new salon and I will get on and do it now. I agree it's my hair and my money!!

joannewton46 Thu 06-Apr-17 15:48:18

I had been using the same hairdressing business for 30+ years but my hairdresser gradually got slower and slower. Not due to age but because he owned the salon and stopped to chat to anyone who came in. I got so peed off that I asked when he didn't work and started going in on that day to one of his employees. I have been doing that for about 3 years now. I am much happier with the result, get through in half the time and it's a much more pleasant experience. His partner (brother) knows me and always says hello, he's answered the phone and made an appointment for me himself so they know I still go there. I've also told my current hairdresser exactly why I changed - I gather I'm not the only one. You are paying for the service you want so it's up to you how you spend your hard-earned cash.

Spot Thu 06-Apr-17 15:25:42

I had a good hairdresser but she was expensive. As I have long hair, I discovered a you tube video which tells you how to cut your own hair if it's long. Actually, I now prefer the way my hair looks! It has more layers now so looks good even when overgrown.
However, I think I would hide if I saw my old hairdresser coming my way!

Lewlew Thu 06-Apr-17 14:23:17

NannyCool59 Try going to another branch of the chain and stock up, or google it, you might be able to buy it from them online.

I lucked out after going through two stylists at the same shop... they left to have their children. So I now get done by the owner who does not take on new people usually as she has a lot of admin to do. But they knew I didn't want to get going with someone else, then have them leave on me a third time. I thought that was very considerate. Now am happy with things as she really knows my hair and we are closer in age than many of the staff who are much younger. And she won't be leaving!!

Annakist Thu 06-Apr-17 14:23:11

I had been using the same hairdresser for over 15 years, not especially local, but I liked what he did. Then I got a phone call asking if I could change my appointment to a later time, as he had a hospital appointment. Of course. But when I got there at the later time, it was clear that I'd been moved to accommodate another client. I would happily have changed if he'd told me the truth. The next time I went, he cut my hair so short, it was awful, and, ridiculous as this sounds, it felt like a punishment for being so easy-going. I never went back and have found an excellent hairdresser very local to me. I'm very pleased I changed, and if I ever meet the original hairdresser, I'll tell him why!

Caro1954 Thu 06-Apr-17 14:16:20

Go to the hairdresser who makes you feel better afterwards! The village hairdresser probably won't mind as much as you think! As for the hairdresser who makes next appointments automatically, take advice of the lady who said to tell her you'd be away and would ring her. I wouldn't be happy with someone who was so presumptuous.

W11girl Thu 06-Apr-17 13:26:35

Go to the new hairdresser. I have done the same. No problems.

Jalima1108 Thu 06-Apr-17 13:05:15

I have stopped giving the hairdresser a tip because they price has gone up by over 25% over the last year!

Norah Thu 06-Apr-17 13:01:45

I pay for my cut and tip very well, I think it's mine to say who I use. I change when I wish.

sweetcakes Thu 06-Apr-17 12:32:37

It doesn't pay to be loyal these days and as for tipping you have to be joking only apprentices get a tip, hairdressers get paid enough after all you don't tip the surgeon after he has had you on the operating table do you