Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Changing Hairdresser

(58 Posts)
shysal Thu 06-Apr-17 09:19:35

I have the same dilemma, but the original hairdresser is my daughter, who was in the profession in the past! I have always paid her over the odds for the cut, for which she is grateful, however, she has a busy life and can't always fit me in in her spare time. She didn't seem put out when I told her I had been elsewhere on the spur of the moment, but probably thinks it was a one-off.

DanniRae Thu 06-Apr-17 09:16:49

I stopped having a hairdresser (who came to my house) because I didn't like the way she cut my hair but we had become quite friendly. I then found an excellent hairdresser who does my hair at her house - she has a lovely home and I really enjoy visiting her. So far, so good BUT I then bumped into the first hairdresser, we chatted and she invited me to her house for a cuppa. I went, we had a pleasant time and I now visit her from time to time BUT we never mention anything to do with where I get my hair done now!! So my advice is go to the new hairdressers, as already said, it's your hair and your money. Good Luck!

annodomini Thu 06-Apr-17 09:09:00

I'm thinking of changing but after every appointment, my hairdresser makes the next appointment for me and I can't think of a good reason to put her off! I get along well with her and her colleagues and, like others on this thread, would feel a bit embarrassed trying to explain.

cornergran Thu 06-Apr-17 09:07:13

Change, it sounds so much better for you. Sounds as if your village hairdresser is very busy, she will be used to clients coming and going. Just smile when you see her, it will be fine.

rosesarered Thu 06-Apr-17 09:00:40

When I first moved to my village I used the local hairdressers quite a bit, as I like to support small local business, but the styling wasn't great, it was a tiny salon and generally didn't like it....so found a better, larger salon in a nearby town.It's still a local business ( not a chain) and the stylists are really good, and friendly too.At first, it was a bit awkward, as found I was often passing the local village owner, and saying hello, but it was my hair and my money after all.

Mapleleaf Thu 06-Apr-17 08:53:14

I agree. If you are happier at the new hairdressers, continue to go. ?

merlotgran Thu 06-Apr-17 08:45:55

Change!

It's your hair, your money and your decision.

If you meet her in the village shop just smile and carry on as normal.

I've always avoided using any village hairdresser because having my hair done is MY time and the further away I can get from my everyday life the better.

Don't worry about it.

ggmarion Thu 06-Apr-17 08:31:49

My local village hairdresser who I have gone to for the 10 years I have lived here wasn't able to fit me in when I wanted although did her best to do so. I went to a hairdresser in the next town and had the best haircut for years. The experience was so much more pleasant,modern shop, head massage, coffee etc. It did cost a bit more but I felt it was worth it. My dilemma is that I feel disloyal if I change and would feel embarrassed if I met current hairdresser in the shop or around the village. What would you do?