Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Changing Hairdresser

(59 Posts)
ggmarion Thu 06-Apr-17 08:31:49

My local village hairdresser who I have gone to for the 10 years I have lived here wasn't able to fit me in when I wanted although did her best to do so. I went to a hairdresser in the next town and had the best haircut for years. The experience was so much more pleasant,modern shop, head massage, coffee etc. It did cost a bit more but I felt it was worth it. My dilemma is that I feel disloyal if I change and would feel embarrassed if I met current hairdresser in the shop or around the village. What would you do?

sarahellenwhitney Thu 06-Apr-17 11:27:05

ggmarion
Like everything else as we get older maintaining our looks is a challenge.
You were happy with the results so go to the new salon.
If you meet your previous hairdresser and you wish to comment then what is wrong with killing two birds with one stone ie A day out in town to shop at leisure? get your hair done at the same time?
I am sure your previous hairdresser will not go out of business after all she could not fit you in even though you were one of her 'regulars'?.
Your life your money. Go for it.

HootyMcOwlface Thu 06-Apr-17 11:44:01

I hate going to the hairdresser, it's worse than going to the dentist!

Kateykrunch Thu 06-Apr-17 11:46:27

Interesting reading this, I am in desparate need of a cut and colour, but cant find a hairdresser! I had a really nice cut and style at a lovely salon, which when I returned for another appointment was just so filthy, it was very stylish place, but was thick with dust and hair on every surface, it made me think about the hygeine of the towels etc, made an excuse and left and not sure how I can 'call' in see if its improved! Another is such a small salon but they have crammed 4 chairs in that I went for a blow dry, didnt have a cut, BUT was covered in the hair of the lady sat next to me, yuk. I thought I did well when I saw a hairdresser I had had years ago had started at a new salon, so I went there, she did a fab cut, but I had to wash my hair as soon as I got home because it was full of sticky gunky styling product....I am presuming I am very hard to please, but my hubby is now saying I really, really must sort out my grey!

ExaltedWombat Thu 06-Apr-17 11:49:04

Whether it's a local shop or a chain, it's still one person cutting one person's hair, and making a living from doing it.

Hollycat Thu 06-Apr-17 12:13:03

The owner of my local shop who always did my hair had two salons, one in a neighbouring village. She sold the local shop to one of her hairdressers and went to live above the other. It seemed a bit mean to follow her so "the next best hairdresser" did my hair. But she's erratic. Sometimes it's great, others it's awful, but I stuck with it. I'm anaemic and my fine, flat hair is a nightmare so she suggested another perm. But she got distracted when her sister brought her (the hairdresser's) child in and the perm was on too long and I had to ask for it to be washed off. As she tried to blow dry it, the now crispy front of my hair broke in her hand. She panicked, the new owner panicked and so did I. They couldn't get me out of the shop fast enough! I was in a bit of a state so I got in touch with my old hairdresser and now go the extra journey to see her. She's been nursing my hair with treatments and great cuts and tells me "just one more cut and we're back!" If only I'd left with her in the first place!

harrigran Thu 06-Apr-17 12:22:53

I used to have my hair done at the local shopping precint but the hairdresser I liked moved tp another salon so I followed her. After a few years she went freelance and I added my name to her list of clients, I now have my hair done every six weeks in my own home.
I would just move to another hairdresser and not give it another thought, you are the client and it is your choice.

HildaW Thu 06-Apr-17 12:28:23

When all is said and done....a Hairdresser is simply a 'professional'.....one hopes well qualified etc......being paid by us to do a professional job. Tending to someone's hair is, by its nature, a rather personal service and its not difficult to get quite chatty with said hairdresser and feel you are developing a personal relationship.
For several years I went to a local hairdresser and stuck to one of the senior stylists. She always did a decent job and the whole experience was a cheerful and pleasant one. I felt she had got to know me fairly well AND, more importantly, my hair!
However, a couple of months back she really messed up although at the time I had not fully appreciated what she had done. Instead of subtle highlights she had applied bog standard bleach and left it on too long. Looking back I had realised she was rather distracted and had spent half the time moaning about a customer sitting nearby who had been 'difficult' and had wanted something corrected.
I really had not noticed the warning signs - thinking about it afterwards I realised that all was not well at the salon anymore.
I had no wish to return and face what would probably be an unpleasant situation nor did I want to have an unhappy conversation with a hairdresser who, over the years I had got quite chatty and friendly with.

So I simply cut my loses ....did some research and found myself another hairdresser. I was impressed by the initial consultation.....she quickly recognised the damage that had been done, suggested some treatment and went on to give me the best cut I'd had in a long time.

I think we always need to remember that a hairdresser is providing a service for which we pay (sometimes too high a price hairwise) and although it can be an intimate experience where we chat about everything, we do need to move on when it is no longer to our satisfaction.

mags1234 Thu 06-Apr-17 12:28:31

Def change. You re not rejecting her as a person, just as a hair dresser. I'd feel awkward too, but I d do it. Smile, say hello, when u meet, you can still be friends. She probably took one look at your hair and realised it was better than when she does it. Even go for a coffee when u meet, and casually say you now are having pamper days out where u get hair, a meal out, a shopping spree , and say you. Need these days out , me time. . ..?

sweetcakes Thu 06-Apr-17 12:32:37

It doesn't pay to be loyal these days and as for tipping you have to be joking only apprentices get a tip, hairdressers get paid enough after all you don't tip the surgeon after he has had you on the operating table do you

Norah Thu 06-Apr-17 13:01:45

I pay for my cut and tip very well, I think it's mine to say who I use. I change when I wish.

Jalima1108 Thu 06-Apr-17 13:05:15

I have stopped giving the hairdresser a tip because they price has gone up by over 25% over the last year!

W11girl Thu 06-Apr-17 13:26:35

Go to the new hairdresser. I have done the same. No problems.

Caro1954 Thu 06-Apr-17 14:16:20

Go to the hairdresser who makes you feel better afterwards! The village hairdresser probably won't mind as much as you think! As for the hairdresser who makes next appointments automatically, take advice of the lady who said to tell her you'd be away and would ring her. I wouldn't be happy with someone who was so presumptuous.

Annakist Thu 06-Apr-17 14:23:11

I had been using the same hairdresser for over 15 years, not especially local, but I liked what he did. Then I got a phone call asking if I could change my appointment to a later time, as he had a hospital appointment. Of course. But when I got there at the later time, it was clear that I'd been moved to accommodate another client. I would happily have changed if he'd told me the truth. The next time I went, he cut my hair so short, it was awful, and, ridiculous as this sounds, it felt like a punishment for being so easy-going. I never went back and have found an excellent hairdresser very local to me. I'm very pleased I changed, and if I ever meet the original hairdresser, I'll tell him why!

Lewlew Thu 06-Apr-17 14:23:17

NannyCool59 Try going to another branch of the chain and stock up, or google it, you might be able to buy it from them online.

I lucked out after going through two stylists at the same shop... they left to have their children. So I now get done by the owner who does not take on new people usually as she has a lot of admin to do. But they knew I didn't want to get going with someone else, then have them leave on me a third time. I thought that was very considerate. Now am happy with things as she really knows my hair and we are closer in age than many of the staff who are much younger. And she won't be leaving!!

Spot Thu 06-Apr-17 15:25:42

I had a good hairdresser but she was expensive. As I have long hair, I discovered a you tube video which tells you how to cut your own hair if it's long. Actually, I now prefer the way my hair looks! It has more layers now so looks good even when overgrown.
However, I think I would hide if I saw my old hairdresser coming my way!

joannewton46 Thu 06-Apr-17 15:48:18

I had been using the same hairdressing business for 30+ years but my hairdresser gradually got slower and slower. Not due to age but because he owned the salon and stopped to chat to anyone who came in. I got so peed off that I asked when he didn't work and started going in on that day to one of his employees. I have been doing that for about 3 years now. I am much happier with the result, get through in half the time and it's a much more pleasant experience. His partner (brother) knows me and always says hello, he's answered the phone and made an appointment for me himself so they know I still go there. I've also told my current hairdresser exactly why I changed - I gather I'm not the only one. You are paying for the service you want so it's up to you how you spend your hard-earned cash.

charliebb Thu 06-Apr-17 16:02:12

I have a similar dilemma and reading some of the comments has inspired me to get up my courage and do what I should have done months ago. For the last six or so cuts my village hairdresser has left my hair longer one side than the other and despite my telling her and going back to try and get it sorted she still can't see it. I know it's time for a new salon and I will get on and do it now. I agree it's my hair and my money!!

Margi Thu 06-Apr-17 16:19:25

When I finished work, I didn't want to have to go into town just for a haircut, as mine needs doing every 4-5 weeks. Other than that it is no trouble. I went in the village. First hairdresser: ok for the first few times, then she thought I was a captive customer and didn't bother. 2nd hairdresser: could only seem to cut it short, whatever I said. After that I was in the wilderness for a few years, and went to various other salons. Then another salon opened in our village, posher and more expensive. But wow, you get what you pay for. My hair is straight and shiny, so I don't have it washed, just sprayed with water. All the girls, and the male boss, are good cutters, so I just book online as soon as the shape begins to go and have whoever is available. £37, but the top man is more. I didn't ever see the first 2 hairdressers in the village, and I'm sure they wouldn't have known me even if I did. If you are over 60, they just don't see you as important. Glad to say this new place sees all their clients as individuals.

TerriBull Thu 06-Apr-17 16:39:25

Meant to add to my post, of late if I am going to a new hairdresser to have colour put on, I now always ask beforehand usually when I make the appointment, if I can have a tester put on behind the ear to eliminate the possibility of a reaction. Have read some horrible stories, albeit rare, of how a few women have had a very bad allergic reaction to whatever chemicals are in the dye.

goldengirl Thu 06-Apr-17 17:08:08

It took me a while to pluck up the courage to move but I'm so glad I did. She keeps up with the latest trends and has some super ideas that really suit me. GO FOR IT!
By the way I don't tip either - but give her Christmas 'bonus'
I never tip the hair washer either but give them feedback after they've finished - and tell my hairdresser too.

NanTheWiser Thu 06-Apr-17 17:36:34

Your money - your choice! I have been going to a local salon run by a Turkish hairdresser (and his family), for more than 20 years. He has amazing scissor skills, and I love the way he cuts mine - which is kept quite short, so needs doing every 6 weeks or so. He goes back to Turkey several times a year, and last year while he was away, I went to a very new, trendy salon nearby, and was attended by a very young (and rather silly) girl - never again! She had no idea how to cut, and spent the whole appointment regaling me with all her woes, so I won't make that mistake again...

1974cookie Thu 06-Apr-17 18:10:23

I would definitely change.
If you have found a hairdresser who has made you feel as good as you sounded on this forum, then She/He is a keeper.
I have an absolutely wonderful hairdresser. I have so much trust in her that when I finally decided to have my long hair chopped off, I gave her free rein.
What she did with my hair was amazing. I had, and still have, lots of compliments about my shorter style.
At that time, I used to dye my hair at home, a sort of mid brown which was okay.
After a few months, I grew it out and I decided to have my hairdresser do this tedious task for me and once again gave her free rein. She changed the colour completely. She used 2 different shades, blonde and a soft caramel.She used foils to achieve what is a really natural effect because she matched it to the colour of my eyebrows. Brilliant !! I feel like a million dollars thanks to my wonderful Hairdresser.
Hairdressers like mine are hard to find.
Hang on to yours.
?

Iam64 Thu 06-Apr-17 18:33:41

I was sad to have to change a couple of years ago because the stylist I'd seen for 28 years had a career change. I moved to a much younger stylist, she is fantastic. I wish I'd done it years ago - I'd definitely got stuck in a rut and felt loyal to my original hair cutter/colourist so I feel fortunate he moved on.

Diddy1 Thu 06-Apr-17 20:45:55

Definately change. I have been to my current hairdresser for two years since moving to a new small Town. I have been satisfied with her, but recently she had to go into Hospital prematurely as her baby came early, I went to one of the other girls, and was delighted with the cut, I think I will stay with her, as "my"hairdressser will be off for at least a year, its a good opportunity to have someone else cut my hair, why are we always so embarrassed in a situation like this!