Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Lost purse

(97 Posts)
Beammeupscottie Mon 10-Apr-17 18:20:32

This afternoon, I dropped my purse outside a shop. I have just quickly returned to the shop to be told my purse was handed in by an elderly gentleman. I am so relieved - it was not only cash but cards. I have his name (village shop who know all their regulars) and will write him a thank-you note via the shop. He said he doesn't want a reward but I feel an obligation to give him something. If you were that old gentleman, would you really be pleased to get something irrespective of what you say? I am finding this a difficult one.

Rigby46 Tue 11-Apr-17 18:59:45

roses - if someone does something like handing in a purse, the grateful owner doesn't know if you would like/expect a reward but is expressing their appreciation of your honesty and kindness ( oh the nightmare that is cancelling cards etc). It's one of the things that adds joy to our everyday lives and reminds us that there is kindness, honesty and appreciation out there amongst all the negativity that we are regularly bombarded with. I once found a police man's warrant card and he bought me a bottle of wine- I was really touched. You never eat a cake baked by someone you don't know? Really? School fairs, cafes, parties??? Me I eat cake baked by anyone - I love cake - can I send you a cupcake ?

Penstemmon Tue 11-Apr-17 19:56:52

A couple found my Fitbit which had fallen off in the local park. They put a message on a local community board and I was able to reclaim it. I took a small token of thanks from Hotel Chocolat!

Beammeupscottie Tue 11-Apr-17 22:26:27

It is the cancellation of cards more than the money (I keep very little cash) plus driving licence, plus travel card. A nightmare to re-organise. I have decided to lighten my wallet by removing DL and Travel pass. I nearly sat and cried because that day I discovered a raid on my bank account - such cheeky blighter in Shanghai had gotten my details and billed me £100. I got it back within hours from c.c.c.but it does upset you. So Mr. Henry will be justly rewarded for putting the spring back into my step.

rosesarered Tue 11-Apr-17 22:31:38

I did say, that had it been me ( I would not want a reward of any kind) other than a simple thank you.
No, I would not want to eat a cake from a school fair / WI or any other domestic outlet ( for want of a better word.)Or from somebody who I don't know.My life, my choice.

rosesarered Tue 11-Apr-17 22:33:15

You can send me a virtual cupcake Rigby but not a real one thanks.

inishowen Wed 12-Apr-17 11:45:24

Ten years ago my daughter and I found a wallet in the street. We took it to the Police Station and they said they would find the owner and return it. My daughter seemed very interested in the goings on in the Enquiry Room. Not long after she applied to join the police. She succeeded and is now a Sergeant!

Shinyredcar Wed 12-Apr-17 11:49:41

What about a thank you note and a donation to a local charity that he is likely to approve of? Sometimes we older folk (especially if we are short of cash) don't like to think of money 'rewards' because it makes it feel as if people think we need it, and a lot of us are on medication that means no booze. He might like flowers! But there is usually an Air Ambulance, Hospice, or Lifeboat that most people approve of.

Womble54 Wed 12-Apr-17 11:55:36

I think a cake would be nice, or if you're not a confident cake-maker perhaps a shop-bought one or some biscuits. I find that most people will eat Scotch shortbread.

Skweek1 Wed 12-Apr-17 12:05:36

I agree that money would be inappropriate, but certainly a plant, flowers or home-made cakes/biscuits/sweets never go amiss. A couple of years ago my neighbour wanted to force us to get rid of some unwanted plants in our garden - one of those really nasty almost-weeds which we'd done everything to get rid of over 20 years, so when one day she took it in her head to cut it back (for some reason we were great mates until she decided to cut us dead - no idea why), so decided to put a TY card with £10 for her kids, a bunch of flowers and some chocs through her letter box/on her doorstep. That was the last we heard from her.

radicalnan Wed 12-Apr-17 12:09:27

Tokens are useful if you don't know what else is appropriate, he may well love books or music..........I think rewarding someone with one of my cakes would be illegal.

maryhoffman37 Wed 12-Apr-17 12:10:00

How about inviting him to your house for coffee and biscuits? An elderly man who walks other people's dogs might just possibly be a bit lonely.

joannewton46 Wed 12-Apr-17 12:10:35

Making assumptions that the gentleman is likely to be "old school" (ie doing just what he thought was right) then I would say that a card would be appreciated, anything else might be embarrassing.

moobox Wed 12-Apr-17 12:34:58

Easter egg always good for this time of year

busybee6969 Wed 12-Apr-17 12:35:15

i once found a dog while out walking.weather was full on wet/windy i looked like i had jumped in the lake walked to local police station with it,to be told they did not take in strays no kennel.words failed me. they phone number on its collar, lady collected it from police station soon after. later that day a knock on my door with a nice bottle of wine, think a towel would of been a better gift the state of my hair and clothes,

GannyRowe Wed 12-Apr-17 12:49:57

Glad you got your purse back and all that. If the gentleman said he didn't want reward, then do what he said. A note of thanks is fine. Talk by others of chocolate or cake is all very well, but he might be diabetic! I had a huge box of Thorntons given me recently after helping a friend out, and it was with real regret I gave it to my daughter and family, because I'm diabetic! I my friend did know of the Diabetes, but thought just this once wouldn't matter!!!!

Beammeupscottie Wed 12-Apr-17 12:53:17

I think it will have to be wine as I am really stuck for time to-day. All family decending on me to-morrow so I have only got to-day. I know he may not drink but he will, hopefully, have some family to help him out or he could re-gift it. He lives in a village I drive through, so no real chance of getting together. I think I would be weepy if I met him (never expected to see purse again) so better to use Postmistress as a go-between.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 12-Apr-17 12:54:32

A thank you card and can you give a donation to his favourite charity?
As he was such a caring and honest man I doubt he would refuse that offer.

Beammeupscottie Wed 12-Apr-17 12:58:01

Yes. You can always donate wine to a tombola at the church bazaar or a raffle at the local workingmen's club.

I really appreciate all your suggestions; many thanks

Georgia491 Wed 12-Apr-17 13:05:37

Some years ago I saw a notice in the local shop for a lost cat, with a photo. Whilst at work later that day I noticed a very similar looking cat in the garden. Then it disappeared again.I phoned the number given on the way home but didn't hold out great hope as my work was the other side of a busy road. I couldn't see how the cat would have safety crossed. The owner took a cat basket and managed to catch the cat, which was indeed hers. She was overcome with joy & I was happy for her. Later that day a card and huge bouquet of flowers arrived at my work for me and a bottle of wine. I thought this was an unexpected but lovely gesture. She sent me some little updates on the cat too, bless her. So maybe flowers or a plant for the gentleman would be a good idea.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 12-Apr-17 13:06:13

busybee6969.
Naughty dog,naughty police, naughty owner to give you such a problem.!
You had a phone number on the dogs collar which you eventually decided to use, so your point being?????

Nelliemaggs Wed 12-Apr-17 13:42:32

I would have to know the person who made the cake before I would be willing to eat it. I was once sent on an errand to a lady, a stalwart of her church who was in changes of the cake stall at the church bazaar and when I went in I had such a shock. There was a lovely smell of baking but when I followed her into her living room there were cakes everywhere, on every surface and also on the floor and everywhere there were cats, cats and more cats. I have never bought a cake since unless I was absolutely sure where it came from.

I love the Easter Egg idea with a thank you card. If he can't eat the cake himself I am sure he would know someone to pass it on to.

RAF Wed 12-Apr-17 13:44:37

Perhaps a bag of dog treats? smile If he has a garden, a rose bush? Problem with a cake or chocolate is that he might be diabetic. I think the important thing is the letter, if you tell him it has put a spring back in your step, and if her ever feels like a coffee to contact you?

sweetcakes Wed 12-Apr-17 13:53:05

What about a small fruit basket or a tin of biscuits that would be nice.

willa45 Wed 12-Apr-17 13:58:24

A lovely note of appreciation accompanied by a gift card to a local restaurant or movie theater.

W11girl Wed 12-Apr-17 14:05:09

No, not really. I would be happy with myself for having done a good deed, thats all that matters. It came natural to the man to be honest.