Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Lost purse

(97 Posts)
Beammeupscottie Mon 10-Apr-17 18:20:32

This afternoon, I dropped my purse outside a shop. I have just quickly returned to the shop to be told my purse was handed in by an elderly gentleman. I am so relieved - it was not only cash but cards. I have his name (village shop who know all their regulars) and will write him a thank-you note via the shop. He said he doesn't want a reward but I feel an obligation to give him something. If you were that old gentleman, would you really be pleased to get something irrespective of what you say? I am finding this a difficult one.

Auntieflo Wed 12-Apr-17 17:33:33

Beammeupscottie, perhaps I'm being a bit paranoid, but if you put your phone number in your purse, and it is found by a 'shady character' , they could phone, and if the phone is not answered, call round and relieve you of some of your possessions.
But as to you wanting to show your gratitude, just go with your instinct.

1974cookie Wed 12-Apr-17 17:34:13

A Thank You note would be lovely, and if this kind Gentleman has a garden, what about a Rose bush, or a smaller patio variety ?
The problem with edibles is that this Gentleman could possibly be diabetic.

Beammeupscottie Wed 12-Apr-17 17:36:11

Yes, I see your point. Apparently, he looked inside and saw my co-op loyalty card. The girls in the shop were preparing to get hold of me through the club card, so that was good.

Karen1959 Wed 12-Apr-17 17:37:14

Great philosophy.. Of course he wouldn't expect anything... but I guarantee that some form of thank you will make him smile... and giving it will make you smile too ?

DS64till Wed 12-Apr-17 17:40:14

A card and maybe chocolates; x

Karen1959 Wed 12-Apr-17 17:47:54

A card and chocolates would be perfect x

DotMH1901 Wed 12-Apr-17 18:05:30

What about a nice thank you card/letter with a gift card enclosed for about £10 perhaps? That way he can either spend it or re-gift it if he doesn't want to use it himself and it isn't like sending money either.

stillaliveandkicking Wed 12-Apr-17 19:34:29

A thank you card and a bottle of wine is good. Not sure about cakes or chocolate, far too girly.

Elrel Wed 12-Apr-17 20:29:33

Most men love cake!

stillaliveandkicking Wed 12-Apr-17 20:31:39

really? Most men like sport and a bottle of wine. I'd never bring a cake.

Ana Wed 12-Apr-17 20:48:10

Most men I know aren't keen on cake and certainly not chocolates! There are exceptions, of course...

grumppa Wed 12-Apr-17 21:01:48

I'd be more than happy to receive a Sachertorte, the ideal combination of cake AND chocolate. But please no Victoria sponge; that woman has a lot to answer for.

stillaliveandkicking Wed 12-Apr-17 21:11:31

I'd be more than happy to not send anything like it. Don't over think OP. A thank you card and a bottle of nice red would more than suffice.

TriciaF Wed 12-Apr-17 21:48:01

Definitely a thankyou card, and perhaps something you made yourself, such as a cake.
I know what it's like to lose your purse - mine was stolen once, and the palaver about cancelling everything shock
After that I bought a waist purse, never had a debit card again. I still get nightmares about losing my purse.

rosesarered Wed 12-Apr-17 21:55:49

I think Inremember you saying that TriciaF weren't you in a queue at M&S when it happened?

rosesarered Wed 12-Apr-17 21:56:34

It must feel terrible.

rosesarered Wed 12-Apr-17 21:57:20

Had my car stolen once, but that's better than your purse being stolen.

Aslemma Thu 13-Apr-17 01:40:00

I don't think he would expect anything but a little note of thanks would be nice. If you do want to give a small token I do think a fruit or madeira cake would be nice as they don't go stale too quickly. As others have said, wine may not be appreciated if he is teetotal. I would be inclined to steer clear of chocolates as you don't know if he likes milk or dark chocolate (I personally can't stand white chocolate and am not fond of milk either). If you decide on flowers, bear in mind that if the gentleman lives alone he may not have any vases.

f77ms Thu 13-Apr-17 09:04:36

I handed in a purse to the local Police station , a large amount of money and cards inside . Left my name and address , I was told it was claimed by someone . I would have liked a card or even a verbal thanks but got neither !

rocketstop Thu 13-Apr-17 09:33:17

If someone had found my purse and handed it in, intact, I know I definitely would want to show my appreciation. If it was a total stranger who had left details with the police, then it would probably be a Thank you letter, as this is someone in the same village and the shopkeeper knows them, I would leave a note and a treat, as the others say, a nice cake, even a good shop bought fruit cake or something.If he didn't like it, he could give it away to someone he dog walks for.You are never going to hit on the perfect thing, as he could be diabetic, may not drink for health or religious reasons, you could just torment yourself that way. I think he would be really happy to receive a cake via the shop keeper as he obviously doesn't want a fuss or you to meet him etc, it just shows you have thought about him and are grateful.

TriciaF Thu 13-Apr-17 10:41:12

whitewave - no that was someone else, I remember it too.
Mine was in my handbag which was stolen by a burglar who sneaked in through the unlocked back door. And in the same NE town (notorious at the time for thefts etc) My bag was snatched off my arm by a passing motorcyclist- but nothing valuable in it, purse on my waist.