Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Easter presents

(58 Posts)
Tippy22 Sun 16-Apr-17 14:11:39

When my children were small all they got for Easter was a card and an Easter egg, maybe a fluffy chick or bunny but it seems now bigger presents are expected. My DD2 was a bit miffed when she asked if I would buy my DGC a large garden toy for Easter. I said no its not her birthday or Christmas. She accepted it but having just spoken to my neighbour who seems to have spent a fortune on her GC I'm beginning to wonder if i was wrong and maybe things have changed. My small offerings of Easter eggs, cuddly toys and some new clothes seem quite paltry. What do you all do.

Iam64 Tue 18-Apr-17 21:50:36

We still have walks of Witness around Whit Sunday. They are much smaller and less likely to have a brass band in the lead. All the youth groups take part, Sunday school, rainbows, guides, beavers, cubs and scouts, the choir and members of the congregation.

rosesarered Tue 18-Apr-17 21:14:36

Me neither! grin

Chewbacca Tue 18-Apr-17 21:08:08

Yep! I like Hotter. And Deichman. Never going to hold the ribbon on the scholars banner though Roses, no matter what's on my feet! Wish I had! Too late now!

rosesarered Tue 18-Apr-17 21:05:26

grin ok then Hotters?

Chewbacca Tue 18-Apr-17 21:02:46

Gee thanks Roses! grin I've waited 55+ years for that, only to find I don't actually like Clarke sandals! Just my kind of luck!

rosesarered Tue 18-Apr-17 20:56:00

Well Chewy you can always still treat yourself to some new Clarks sandals.smile

Chewbacca Tue 18-Apr-17 20:43:40

Lucky you Iam64! I can remember one of my dresses as being white, shot with silver thread and having 3 little navy blue bows at the front waist and a navy blue sash belt, tied in a bow at the back. Another year we had a matching dress and "duster coat" which was thought as being terribly modern and grown up!

Not sure if it still goes on Roses because so many of the chapels and Sunday Schools have long gone, turned into flats, shops and mosques now from when I was last in the area. It was a lovely era and Iam64 has given me lovely quick trip down memory lane!

rosesarered Tue 18-Apr-17 20:36:27

Thanks for the explanations.Not being chapel, I didn't know about it.Does it still go on?

Iam64 Tue 18-Apr-17 20:30:12

That's exactly it Chewbacca. One year when I was about 7 or 8, my mum sewed me a lovely long frock, white, with a frilled neck line, an underlap and some kind of floaty fine fabric, voile maybe - on the outer layer. Mum also put my hair in rags so I had ringlets (briefly, my hair was very straight) That was the year I held the ribbon on the I AM banner.

Chewbacca Tue 18-Apr-17 20:21:56

Roses the scholars walk took place on Whit Sunday. Each chapel had a Sunday School and on Whit Sunday, all of the "scholars", children, elders of the chapel and Sunday School, would have a procession of walking through the town. A small brass band led the procession, followed by the scholars who held up banners with slogans such as "The Lord is my Shepherd" or "Suffer Little Children to Come Unto Me"; always a biblical theme, and they were always beautifully hand sewn by the ladies in the chapel. Leading down from the banners were colourful ribbons that the children would hold and follow the scholars. Some children carried brass plates, covered in blue velvet and this was to collect donations for the chapel from the crowds that gathered to watch "the scholar walks". It was seen as a new part of the chapels calendar and it was tradition for all the children to have new clothes and sandals to "walk in". The new clothes were kept for very best and rarely worn again throughout the year. In fact, they never fitted you by the following year! Nor did the sandals!

Iam64 Tue 18-Apr-17 20:21:47

Yes, it possibly is from this side of the Penines. Though both Lancashire and Yorkshire did a fine line in high teas - and I suspect we still do.

rosesarered Tue 18-Apr-17 20:18:06

Well, never heard of that term Iam you learn something new every day.I am from Yorkshire, so maybe it's a Lancashire term?
For Whitsuntide we did have new dresses and sandals etc though.So whitsun was celebrated in church and then a nice lunch after.
Do you know the poem The Whitsun Weddings by Philip Larkin, I love that.smile

Craicon Tue 18-Apr-17 20:12:14

I did not buy our DGS (4) anything for Easter.
Didn't occur to me to be honest as we live abroad. blush
His parents gave him a chocolate egg and his other grandparents buy him stuff throughout the year so I think that's plenty especially as his birthday is at the end of March.

We'll be visiting briefly in the summer so I will probably buy him a little present then.

Iam64 Tue 18-Apr-17 20:09:30

Ah well, it was what the grannies always called Whit Sunday. It was a Big Event for we children, new frocks, sometimes white frocks if you were helping carry a banner for example (I held a corner of I AM, with friends following on with The Truth, The Way).

It's probably a northern thing to call it walking with the scholars. I'd ask every year, what do you mean grannie? It never seemed to rain for the Whit Walks. New Clarks sandals, chocolate cake after tea, both sets of grandparents arrived to watch us then home we'd go for chicken and ham salad, fruit salad and chocolate cake (plus other baking by mum). Happy days.

Chewbacca Tue 18-Apr-17 20:09:18

Iam64, I remember walking with the scholars when I was a child, around Whit Sunday, yes? I always wanted to hold a ribbon on the banner but never did! I also remember being taken for new clothes for "the walks" and everything, from vest and knickers, had to be new, it was the only time of year I ever had brand new clothes. Happy days!

rosesarered Tue 18-Apr-17 20:01:26

Wot that? grin

rosesarered Tue 18-Apr-17 20:00:47

Walking with the scholars?

Iam64 Tue 18-Apr-17 18:44:10

I didn't buy the toddlers anything but we had everyone round for a good meal. The toddlers had to find pieces of large duplo hidden around the house, bring it to grandad when it was exchanged for tiny chocolate eggs. Much hilarity and excitement.
My grandparents always bought us a large Easter Egg, one gran would buy new Clarks shoes, the other either a new coat, or a frock to wear over the Easter holiday then later, for walking with the scholars.
We celebrate the various Christian festivals as a family still but luckily, we are not as hard pressed financially as previous generations have been. This hasn't stopped me following the family tradition of buying clothes and shoes for the grandchildren

annodomini Tue 18-Apr-17 17:55:40

My GC always receive so many chocolate eggs that I decided to avoid adding to the total. Instead, each of them got a card with a £10 note inside. They were delighted and didn't feel in the least deprived. Looking around the shops for Easter eggs, just in case I wanted to buy some, I was horrified at the prices compared with the price for the same amount of chocolate in a bar. Having tasted the cloying Cadbury's eggs - generously shared by GSs - I'm very glad I didn't buy any of those! And whatever happened to the little packs of chocolates one used to find inside an Easter egg? Only a very expensive egg, given to DS2, had any such contents and those were delicious speckled eggs with a truffle filling.

rosesarered Tue 18-Apr-17 16:59:15

we give each DGC a nice bag with a selection of bits and pieces in it, say, a book, a new Tee shirt, nice pens etc and either an Easter egg or a Easter bunny in choc.
Then we have an Easter egg hunt around the garden, this usually results in each child finding about a dozen eggs each.Then we all have lunch.smile
Some of our DC (and partners) still like an Easter egg from us, the other ones we buy a plant, or flowers.We send Easter cards to family and friends( and always have done.)We receive a gift or flowers from them( our choice) and share one Easter egg that we buy between us.That way we don't eat much choc.

Deedaa Tue 18-Apr-17 16:38:28

The children and grandchildren get an egg each and that's it. I don't even bother with cards noe because they are getting so expensive,

tiggypiro Tue 18-Apr-17 15:26:05

My 5 GCs get zilch from me as they all live abroad and letters, never mind parcels, rarely get to China. I did take some small eggs out with me when I went in January and DD used them for an egg hunt which they love.

Lisalou Tue 18-Apr-17 13:38:15

Just a slightly different perspective, on the view of the kids getting so much. I am also on a young mothers forum (not mumsnet) and there was a similar thread on there. The mums were saying that they had not actually bought much, if anything for their children, but they had got an egg from each set of grandparents, one from each aunt or uncle and a few from neighbours or friends of the family. So everybody, much like most of us on the thread, had spent a fiver or something along those lines, but with the amount of people in each child's lives, it had grown into a tremendous haul.

Maybe a good idea to talk to the mother of the child for future, and find out if they need anything, money better spent when so much chocolate is coming their way from a variety of different sources.

Katek Mon 17-Apr-17 14:24:40

My older ones (10 years old) got a large egg, a box of the 4 little eggs that come with a spoon and £10 in a card. The money was for their Easter holidays. Little ones got a white chocolate egg, tube of mini eggs each and an mdf rabbit that I had painted and decorated for them. The dds were exchanging clothes and vouchers as well as eggs but I stayed out of it. Prob cost a total of £50

felice Mon 17-Apr-17 14:02:34

DGS doesn't really like chocolate so it was just a chocolate chicken sitting in a little nest a token really. As the shops close here on Sundays and are also closed today, I got it half price in my Local supermarket on Friday afternoon.We went to the Easter breakfast service at Church which was nice.Then painted eggs to roll in the garden.
Quite traditional really.