Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Easter presents

(57 Posts)
Tippy22 Sun 16-Apr-17 14:11:39

When my children were small all they got for Easter was a card and an Easter egg, maybe a fluffy chick or bunny but it seems now bigger presents are expected. My DD2 was a bit miffed when she asked if I would buy my DGC a large garden toy for Easter. I said no its not her birthday or Christmas. She accepted it but having just spoken to my neighbour who seems to have spent a fortune on her GC I'm beginning to wonder if i was wrong and maybe things have changed. My small offerings of Easter eggs, cuddly toys and some new clothes seem quite paltry. What do you all do.

kittylester Sun 16-Apr-17 14:18:37

This year we have spent about £5 per grandchild for an Easter egg/rabbit/frog/duck. That's really all we have ever one apart from bags of small eggs etc to hide if the Egg Hunt is at our house.

I went to the florist's in the village yesterday and they were snowed under with orders for bouquets etc - they were thrilled but just as baffled as I was and said that each year gets busier and busier.

They won't get fat from me - I bought 3 bunches of tulips - all for me!!

annsixty Sun 16-Apr-17 14:34:09

My GC and their half siblings have each had a 99p Malteser egg and a card with a £10 note in it. I did used to buy a t-shirt or a pair of shorts for the summer but I wouldn't dare do that now.

Ana Sun 16-Apr-17 14:45:34

Madness! I know in some families it's traditional for children to have a new outfit for Easter, but not 'Easter presents' as such.

J52 Sun 16-Apr-17 14:49:24

One Easter egg per child and a small bag of eggs for the parents to stop them eating the children's!

Lona Sun 16-Apr-17 14:50:38

I haven't bought anything this year. My eldest two gds are teenagers and I won't see them probably for a while, and my youngest (5) still has some left from last Easter! She does like chocolate but doesn't actually eat much ?

Coolgran65 Sun 16-Apr-17 14:52:36

Each of our 6 DGC got a Cadbury's Creme Egg tucked into a little hand knitted chick. These were posted to 3 of them abroad.

Today we are going to lunch with the rest of them, I have the creme egg in a chick for kiddies and mum and dad, also for kiddies (boys and girl) from age 8 downwards, I have a straw type trilby sun hat for their holidays, hats roll up, and I got them at £1 each in M & S Clearance Sale.
This is more than enough. And the hats were actually just an afterthought because I saw them for next to nothing.

cornergran Sun 16-Apr-17 15:12:54

We also keep Easter gifts small and simple. Certainly less than £5 per child and a small plant for their parents if we see them over the Easter weekend.

nanaK54 Sun 16-Apr-17 15:45:23

I'm obviously a proper 'cheapskate' - I don't think I spent more than £12.00 to cover 4 grandchildren. The older ones had a 'teaser egg' and the youngest an Easter bunny (choc) and a very small set of 'Peppa' board books costing £2.00. Used to host an egg hunt when the three older ones were tiny.....

grannypiper Sun 16-Apr-17 16:21:25

My 2 Grandchildren had a small bag chocolate coins inside the papier mache eggs they have had from their very first Easter. Easter is being pushed into a spendfest by the media and stores, Waitrose even had Easter crackers !. We need to stand firm and say "not a penny more"

M0nica Sun 16-Apr-17 16:24:12

Another 'modest' Grandmother. DGC got a modest Easter egg each, and will probably get the same from their other DGM as well, and that is all they are getting. No extras of any kind.

They have just spent a week with us with their parents and we supplemented their pocket money with a £5 each as well as taking them out for meals and visits, although, a number of these costs were shared on an informal unspoken basis with DC.

grannylyn65 Sun 16-Apr-17 16:46:43

Cards and £5

annsixty Sun 16-Apr-17 17:10:23

Just me who is extravagant then?

MawBroon Sun 16-Apr-17 17:17:18

Egg for the DGC, egg for each DD and a fluffy chicken for Flynn who is too young for chocolate.
Not going down the road of presents -giving or receiving!

aggie Sun 16-Apr-17 17:17:46

My lot got the small bags of tiny eggs from Lidl ! I used to buy T shirts etc , but this last birthday I got flowers only for that and then the same for mothers day , I got a plant today , so I decided to be less extravagant with my gifts . I must say the seemed quite pleased with what they got .
I did used to get a large M+S gift token with the flowers

tanith Sun 16-Apr-17 17:20:50

I used to buy them all an egg but they are mostly grown up now, I do send a small parcel to my grandson who lives abroad, this time with books, a t-shirt and a pack with 5 small bunnies only because I see him rarely so do treat him at Easter.

Maggiemaybe Sun 16-Apr-17 18:13:23

Just eggs/chocolate lambs and ducks, but I do buy for the DC and their partners, DH, the DGC, the little girl next door....oh, and myself smile. The family will get theirs tomorrow, when they're all here for the day. We'll have an egg hunt as well and some sort of game for the tiddlers, with little chocolate Easter lollies as prizes. I'm pretty sure the DGC still have chocolate left from Christmas, so their Easter stuff will see them through to Hallowe'en.

Lisalou Sun 16-Apr-17 18:29:34

Only one daughter left in the nest and my mother and I always have an easter egg hunt in the garden, now only for her, in the past for the other two as well. They are both grown up and flown, but will have a chocolate egg/little basket of chocolate from the hunt. All in, I reckon we spent about a fiver on chocolate and my daughter was thrilled by the hunt - is currently out with friends, sharing out chocolate bunnies as they don't do easter eggs here, and she wants to share her cache.
We also put out painted hardboiled eggs which will be devilled tomorrow for lunch. My youngest loved painting them with us - we all got involved with that, and it was great fun. Spending a fortune doesn't make it more special

BlueBelle Sun 16-Apr-17 18:34:15

No Annsixty me too well I didn't think I was extravagant but definitely more than a little egg

NanaandGrampy Sun 16-Apr-17 18:50:42

I'm putting my hand up! I'm the extravagent one then.

Working on the principle that they grow up fast I make the most of things like the Tooth Fairy, Santa and the Easter Bunny and I'm not apologising smile

I don't buy big eggs now because none of my 4 really like them . So this year I his 64 plastic eggs in the garden marked with one of 4 initials. Made Easter bags and each child had to find their own eggs, each egg contained 1 mini egg. Then we had a scavenger photo hunt, where they had to rush around taking photos of special things that eventually led them to the treasure chest where each child had a toy ( or in the older 2s case pencils and a colouring book).

It's not what they get as much as the sheer , squealing delight at solving clues etc. I treasure every second . I also buy a small egg for each mummy which is given to them by their children...after all they are still my kids too smile

annsixty Sun 16-Apr-17 21:34:36

I am very well aware that I don't need to justify what I do.
H and I both had dysfunctional and for very different reasons, deprived childhoods.
It was never ever going to happen to my children or their children. Circumstances have led to that possibly happening so it is up to me to make sure that experiences I can provide, I jolly well will and will continue to do,

janeainsworth Sun 16-Apr-17 21:49:29

I don't think anyone was criticising you or expecting you to justify yourself ann
Of course anyone can be as generous as they wish within their own families.
It's when things become an expectation, that it becomes a problem. I think that's what the OP was about.

gillybob Sun 16-Apr-17 22:50:31

I am with you annsixty and always give my DGC an Easter Egg and a little something else,. This year they are all got a nice tee shirt and a new coloring book and coloring pens. I love buying them little presents and DH will find any excuse to get into a toy shop.

Norah Sun 16-Apr-17 23:27:35

We buy lovely little giftys for our GC and GGC for holidays, we're happy to see their smiles.

Starlady Mon 17-Apr-17 01:31:19

YDD gets the Easter gifts for her children now, just as dh and I did for her when she was growing up. She does spend way more than I ever would. Idk if that's just her or if things really have changed.