Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Are new socks an indication of a mid life crisis?

(69 Posts)
phoenix Wed 19-Apr-17 17:35:42

Evening all, hope you are well, and if not, sending every good wish.

Now then, some time ago Mr P bought a pack of 5 pairs of socks, in various shades of brown, from Sainsburys. He then bought another pack of 5 pairs, again in various shades of brown, from somewhere else confused

You can probably guess where this is going....... we have ended up with a veritable pile of socks, in various shades of brown (even including the dreaded beige) which will NOT make a pair! Some almost do, but as they have possibly been washed separately from their intended mates, it's a bit hit and miss.

I thought I had a bit of a bright idea, which is unusual for me , especially on a Sunday, which is when it happened.

What if he bought some socks that were all the same colour, except for the heels & toes?? Surely they would look ok for work, but be much easier to match up!

We duly set forth to our local Factory Shop, where I showed him a pack of black ones, but with lime green, bright blue, fuschia and orange "hidden" bits. He was delighted, and immediately put them in the basket.

But then came the moment, he said "what about these?" I will admit that they were reasonably priced, cotton rich, and in his size.

However, they were the most luridly striped socks that I have seen in a long time! shock

Now, Mr P is normally most sober in his dress, he had a bit of a fit of the vapours over a red polo shirt once, so at first I thought he was joking, but no, into the basket they went!

Oh well, I suppose I shouldn't complain, it will make washing sorting easier, but he still has no sense of what goes with what, and will no doubt be wearing the blue/purple/red stripe ones with clay coloured chinos (shudder) when it is obvious that the lime/orange/yellow would be better! grin

Greyduster Wed 19-Apr-17 17:38:01

My SiL often wears odd socks. He tells me it's fashionable hmm!

Ana Wed 19-Apr-17 17:52:26

Odd shoes are even more fashionable, apparently, (same style, just different colour)

Christinefrance Wed 19-Apr-17 17:59:13

Yes odd socks are trendy, you can actually buy pairs of odd socks if that makes sense. My husband likes ones with cartoon characters, sad or what smile

Coolgran65 Wed 19-Apr-17 18:15:59

My DH wears black socks. Enough said !!

hildajenniJ Wed 19-Apr-17 18:31:19

We've never worried about odd socks in this house. It's when you wash five pairs of your favourites, and only nine socks come out of the machine, the tenth, and possibly one of your most favourite pair, is never seen again!

Tizliz Wed 19-Apr-17 18:42:27

I mended a sock the other day! He had only worn them a couple of times - made him cut his nails. Just could not throw them away. Can't remember when I last did some darning.

KatyK Wed 19-Apr-17 18:44:25

Where do they go, those socks that never come out of the washing machine? confused

Cherrytree59 Wed 19-Apr-17 19:01:27

coolgran my DH still wears black socks even though he retired last year.

As they were never bought from same shop pairing them would send me doolally!
Some were different lengths
Then there were the different elasticated bands ones
To top it all, different shades of black

Since he is retired he sorts his own black socks
So now enough said! grin

Greyduster Wed 19-Apr-17 19:03:01

The Sorrow of Socks by Wendy Cope

Some socks are loners –
They can’t live in pairs.
On washdays they’ve shown us
They want to be loners.
They puzzle their owners,
They hide in dark lairs.
Some socks are loners –
They won’t live in pairs.

Jalima1108 Wed 19-Apr-17 19:33:09

I'm just wondering how many pairs of socks does one man need for two feet? shock

DH buys new socks then they sit in his sock drawer, still with their cardboard and little plastic hanger, for months. He must be keeping them for 'best'.

Jalima1108 Wed 19-Apr-17 19:34:43

at least they still have their other half if they've never been worn

downtoearth Wed 19-Apr-17 19:41:32

Socks are the bane of my life....mine get stolen...his are odd and ...they are all found in E's bedroom under the bed, when I know that I have dutifully paired and put away....confused

wot Wed 19-Apr-17 19:57:44

I put a coloured thread on each of my socks when I buy them because although they're all black, they don't exactly match. I think I need a new hobby!

grannypiper Wed 19-Apr-17 20:46:59

Greyduster that really made me laugh, the thought of all those poor socks forced to walk side by side grin

Cold Thu 20-Apr-17 00:25:20

DH wears unmatched socks with sandals! Today it was differing "angry birds"

Auntieflo Thu 20-Apr-17 08:09:45

Wot, I'm glad I'm not the only one to have done that.smile

PRINTMISS Thu 20-Apr-17 08:35:56

All this confirms my opinion - one I have had for many years - socks have minds of their own.

glammanana Thu 20-Apr-17 09:51:09

My heart goes out to my DD who has 4 sons 3 at work and living at home along with DGS aged 13 and DGD aged 15 they all have clean socks every day sometimes twice a day if the big ones are going out at night then she has sports socks and gym socks for the youngest she must need a machine load just for the socks I'd dispair.

EmilyHarburn Thu 20-Apr-17 10:02:02

Perhaps Mr P is colour blind. However now he has settled on 2 packs of socks go back to the shop and buy 2 more of each pack. You should be well away with matching socks then.

I put all my spare socks in a net in a drawer and as the wash comes round occasionally I get a match!!

Dee Thu 20-Apr-17 10:06:31

When my children were young I'd just put the laundry basket of clean socks in front of the TV and tell them to help all those socks find their friends.
They were kind little people so it appealed. I'm sure this would work with big people too.
If you think about it its quite a good mathematical exercise, all that sorting by colour, size etc, perhaps it should be on the National Curriculum!

Musicelf Thu 20-Apr-17 10:17:12

My husband has a box labelled "Box-o'-socks" where all the odd, lonely socks go. Now and again he'll empty it and try to matchmake the lonely ones, but there is always a pile that cannot be matched and never will be. Where on earth have their partners gone??!

MawBroon Thu 20-Apr-17 10:18:41

Compared to other manifestations of mid-life crisis (see the Over-reacting thread) I think you have got off lightly!!
grin

Mirandaf55 Thu 20-Apr-17 10:18:47

Lakeland sell little clip things top fasten socks into pairs. As a wife and mother of 2 bits, I trained all my men, and me, to use them speeds up the sorting process no end. Only thing is, you need to wash them in a net in case the little things come off and get stuck in the hose!

ajanela Thu 20-Apr-17 10:22:19

I wear knee high socks and that is just as bad if not worse. Never seen so many shades of medium brown and different types of black knee highs that don't match..