Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Are new socks an indication of a mid life crisis?

(70 Posts)
phoenix Wed 19-Apr-17 17:35:42

Evening all, hope you are well, and if not, sending every good wish.

Now then, some time ago Mr P bought a pack of 5 pairs of socks, in various shades of brown, from Sainsburys. He then bought another pack of 5 pairs, again in various shades of brown, from somewhere else confused

You can probably guess where this is going....... we have ended up with a veritable pile of socks, in various shades of brown (even including the dreaded beige) which will NOT make a pair! Some almost do, but as they have possibly been washed separately from their intended mates, it's a bit hit and miss.

I thought I had a bit of a bright idea, which is unusual for me , especially on a Sunday, which is when it happened.

What if he bought some socks that were all the same colour, except for the heels & toes?? Surely they would look ok for work, but be much easier to match up!

We duly set forth to our local Factory Shop, where I showed him a pack of black ones, but with lime green, bright blue, fuschia and orange "hidden" bits. He was delighted, and immediately put them in the basket.

But then came the moment, he said "what about these?" I will admit that they were reasonably priced, cotton rich, and in his size.

However, they were the most luridly striped socks that I have seen in a long time! shock

Now, Mr P is normally most sober in his dress, he had a bit of a fit of the vapours over a red polo shirt once, so at first I thought he was joking, but no, into the basket they went!

Oh well, I suppose I shouldn't complain, it will make washing sorting easier, but he still has no sense of what goes with what, and will no doubt be wearing the blue/purple/red stripe ones with clay coloured chinos (shudder) when it is obvious that the lime/orange/yellow would be better! grin

Lilylilo Thu 20-Apr-17 17:55:38

Bring on the red trousers!!!

W11girl Thu 20-Apr-17 19:04:23

I always wear odd socks myself, stripey ones! It doesn't really matter.

Peaseblossom Thu 20-Apr-17 20:13:23

I hate odd socks and as for odd shoes, that was a joke surely?! I wear mostly black but some navy socks. Knee length in the winter and shorter ones when it's warmer. I can't believe how difficult it is matching them! I have to put the strip lights on under my wall units to do it and spread them all out on the worktop. The knee length ones are varying lengths, widths, and the depth of the ribbed elastic tops also vary. Added to which they seem to be varying shades of black. I only have 3 pairs of long navy socks from one pack so thankfully they are easy to match, but matching the others drives me bonkers! In future I must buy about 10 pairs of long black socks identical at the same time to stop this annoying washday problem and throw all the others away. AAAAARGH!!!!! I suppose, as I wear them with ankle boots you can't see the colour of the socks anyway! So I could have any weird and wonderful socks! But I couldn't stand to see them on me when I've removed my boots! I prefer plain dark ones.

Jalima1108 Thu 20-Apr-17 20:15:04

We had a bagfull of odd socks in the airing cupboard for years - surely they didn't go down the waste pipe from the washing machine as one or two were thick skiing socks?

Eventually I threw them all out but I still expect their other halves to turn up one day.

bikergran Thu 20-Apr-17 21:17:17

today I am wearing one yellow with white polka dots on & one pink with Polka dots .... grin enough said ( I do have another pair exactly the same) some where !! smile

Katek Thu 20-Apr-17 21:55:10

My DH has a thing for the most gaudy socks- today's pair had little tools all over them, hammers, screws, paintbrushes etc. Dd2 asked him where he got socks like that in his size as they're usually in the children's section! He has cartoon socks, geometrical pattern socks, vivid stripes and Xmas socks that play carols. He even has a pair with 'my best beer socks' emblazoned on them. He's teetotal.

HellsBells Fri 21-Apr-17 07:25:38

We had the same experience as Musicelf- most in box 136 - such satisfaction when you match a pair

sluttygran Fri 21-Apr-17 08:58:25

My late husband liked sailing, but he could never remember his 'port' from his 'starboard'.
We solved the problem nicely by getting a pack of green socks to wear on the right foot, and the same in red to go on the left foot. Those of a nautical disposition will know that red and green are the indicators for left and right, or port and starboard, tho' why they can't just call 'em left and right is a mystery to me.
Anyway, off he would go wearing one red and one green sock, but he said that he still got confused if he turned round!
I hate socks, and my feet prefer to 'go commando', but when I really must wear socks or knee highs, I can never find a matching pair confused

annodomini Fri 21-Apr-17 09:59:47

Terry Pratchett had an explanation: "The Uncommon Sock Eater is a rare indoorovore found in the cellars of the Unseen University."

Neither uncommon nor rare in my household, and I'm the only resident. Single socks are useful worn over the hands as dusters. If you have two unmatched socks (of course you have!) you can have one on each hand.

Poly580 Fri 21-Apr-17 11:49:00

I worked with a man who always wore odd socks. I was curious and asked him why.. "life is too short to be matching your socks" ....I have never matched my socks since, although I only wear mine under my boots in the winter. ?

Juggernaut Fri 21-Apr-17 11:55:21

My DH had a car accident (he was run over) when he was three years old, and lost the big toe and its immediate neighbour from his right foot, and the foot didn't grow properly afterwards.
So.....now his left foot is size eleven and his right is a five and a half!
He buys socks in two different sizes at one time, the 6-11 both get worn on the left foot, the 3-6 are worn on the right.
Not only do I have to pair the socks up after washing, but each pair is one long and one short, and most of them are plain black. Multicolours don't always help as he's also colour blind as far as the blue/purple spectrum is concerned.
However, we very rarely throw my old tights or his old socks away, they're used to stuff the toes of all his right shoes, otherwise they bend up like a pair of Arabian slippers!
Actually, reading this post, half a right foot, only eight toes in total, and colour blind, he doesn't sound much of a catch does he? wink

AlieOxon Fri 21-Apr-17 11:58:09

anno - what a good idea bout the socks as dusters. I will adopt it forthwith!

notnormal Fri 21-Apr-17 15:33:54

I love those bamboo socks .They are really comfortable!

rosesarered Fri 21-Apr-17 16:32:00

Juggernaut grin must be a nightmare buying his shoes?

Phoenix I think Mr P was trying to be helpful.smile

I used to put all socks in a basket, and ket the children play 'the sock game' in pairing them up.grin

rosesarered Fri 21-Apr-17 16:37:37

They soon wised up to this 'game' though.grin

tiffaney Fri 21-Apr-17 18:31:22

Lost socks go to Neverland ???

Sazzysomerset Fri 21-Apr-17 19:13:28

...my ex-husband says that he's never had a problem with missing socks since we got divorced 30 years ago...so it must have been my fault! (That's not why we got divorced!)

stillaliveandkicking Fri 21-Apr-17 19:21:16

I personally like my socks to match.

Juggernaut Sun 23-Apr-17 09:17:52

Roses
Shoe buying is a huge problem!
He has to have very soft leather/suede/fabric so as not to rub the top of his foot, which as you can imagine, is a mess.
Also, the ball of his right foot is where the instep of the shoe is, so the padding is in the wrong position.
Add to that the problem of a size five and a half foot in a size eleven slip on shoe, it slips right back out again!
Occaaionally we find something perfect for him, and buy as many pair as finances will allow! He often finds suitable shoes in Skechers, but formal shoes are more problematic.