Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Birthday presents

(96 Posts)
JackieBee1 Tue 25-Apr-17 10:07:35

How do we feel about putting on the dreaded Facebook, a link to Amazon, listing what presents their child would like for their 3rd birthday?

LouP Thu 27-Apr-17 10:25:52

Rude and greedy.

Hm999 Thu 27-Apr-17 10:26:32

I'd like to know what the kids are 'into', would they appreciate Lego, books on dinosaurs, PlayStation games? I don't want to be told to buy this £30 book on dinosaurs or which £50 Lego set

jane999 Thu 27-Apr-17 10:32:11

Very good idea ifyour family lives in America, spend more on lresent andno postage costs

Maidmarion Thu 27-Apr-17 10:34:53

Why does life have to be lived through 'Facebook'these days...???
angry

JanaNana Thu 27-Apr-17 10:34:53

Don't like this idea at all. It encourages greed and materialism. Not a nice trait to encourage. Anyone who knows the child/family really well would have some ideas already surely.Sorry but don,t think this is the way to go. To much emphasis is placed on big presents. What are children going to learn from this as they grow older.

HurdyGurdy Thu 27-Apr-17 10:35:57

I really don't see what the issue is. I don't want to be spending money on something that I think a child will like, only for the child to never use/play with it. What a waste of money. So an Amazon wishlist seems like an excellent idea. Presumably there will be a large range of items to choose from, so you can pick something according to your budget.

And it's not like its the the ONLY things you are allowed to buy. If you knit/sew/craft something you know the child will like, then there's no problem. You're not forced to follow the wish list.

And at three years old, the child wouldn't have a ruddy clue what parents put on Facebook, or even what an Amazon wishlist IS, so it's not "teaching the child to be greedy" or rude.

Is an Amazon wishlist any different from asking a parent what the child wants - or having a wedding list? No one slates a bride/bridegroom for having a wedding list at a shop, do they? This is just the online equivalent.

Teddy123 Thu 27-Apr-17 10:37:42

An unnecessary faux pas! I always slip a gift receipt in with the card whatever the occasion.

SillyNanny321 Thu 27-Apr-17 10:37:59

My DGS took a book to school as asked by his teacher. She asked him why he had bought this one in to show the class.
He said my Nan bought this for me because i wanted it & Nanny listens to me! Something i try to do so that he gets what he wants as i have no idea what 6year old boys are into!

quizqueen Thu 27-Apr-17 10:39:46

My granddaughter goes to an awful lot of parties throughout the year-up to 30. Her mother and I are constantly on the look out for suitable reduced items in Tesco etc. for present ideas around the £5 mark (up to £10 for special long time friends. For a while, singing bird toys were popular. She also buys boxes of 10 genetic birthday cards off the market for £1 otherwise she would be spending a fortune each year on other people's kids.

The recipient gets what they are given, I'm afraid, and if my granddaughter gets unsuitable presents or ones her mother or she( unlikely) really doesn't like, they are recycled!

00mam00 Thu 27-Apr-17 10:45:35

Our family all have amazon wish lists. Living in a small country town is a bit limiting for choice so I welcome ideas.

It isn't a case of being dictated to, or being grabbing or materialistic, it's to help people with ideas of what someone would like. You don't HAVE to buy from it. Can't see the point of putting it on Facebook though.

annodomini Thu 27-Apr-17 10:52:49

DS gave me a link to a Playstation game for 12-year-old DGS's Christmas present. DS had egg on his face when DGS tactfully informed him (not me) that he had already bought that game himself. Fortunately DS was able to exchange it for him, but it all goes to show that parents don't always know what to recommend. It does get more complicated when GC can go out and do their own shopping so that makes the case for hard cash or vouchers, usually with a smaller token gift.

Caro1954 Thu 27-Apr-17 10:58:08

I too am torn about this. I always ask for ideas for birthdays and Christmas and it's sometimes suggested that they have seen something which can be bought on Amazon (or where ever). My GS lives a long way away so I can order and have it delivered to him, Mummy wraps it and I send a card. And a present of my choice. I also send small presents as and when I see something I want to give. I see it as a way of maintaining contact as much as anything. Some of the suggestions are not what I would have chosen but I have to accept that his parents know him best. GD is different, she lives round the corner and I know better what she'd like. My problem is keeping it fair! confused

nan25 Thu 27-Apr-17 10:58:22

My 5 year old grandson is hoping that I'm going to buy him an 'instability' scooter complete with sat nav for his birthday so an Amazon link would be much appreciated!!!

harrigran Thu 27-Apr-17 10:59:28

My GDs have lists on Amazon as well, jolly useful. Without guidance the gifts are duplicated and such a waste of money.

radicalnan Thu 27-Apr-17 10:59:32

Don't people talk to each other anymore? why does it have to be a gift list?

I love the Katie Morag sweater and Tam O Shanter ideas, inique things and not those rubbish things that kids hve forced upnthem by peer pressures or advertising.

I tend to by the kids experiences rather than stuff now..although if the charity office has something funky I splash out on that too, dressing up items and so on.

Give them books, imaginitive play things and stuff made with love......gettng pe ople aged 3 to have the happiness wish list is forming a bad habit.

We used to get hand me down clothes when I was a kid and I often liked them more than the new things my parents bought for me.

Surprises are still a little bit of magic.

Juney64 Thu 27-Apr-17 11:00:31

Personally, I'd find it helpful as my only GC lives in Spain and I've no idea what he has / doesn't have. My DIL mentioned that she needed to buy a high chair and I thought I'd surprise her with one. After I'd ordered it from Amazon, the next day she sent some lovely photos and my little GC was sitting in his new high chair. Fortunately, I was able to return the one I'd ordered.

In these circumstances a list would be useful but for those GPs who are lucky enough to see their GC regularly it could be as a bit cheeky.

Gaggi3 Thu 27-Apr-17 11:15:09

Last Christmas I knitted reindeer (unsolicited) for twin GC (not life-size) and DD posted a pic of them on FB naming them as her and their favourite gift.

CaliBoingo Thu 27-Apr-17 11:18:36

Very sensible and very practical. We don't consider it greedy if a bride-to-be registers with a wedding registry, requesting items of various prices the couple will need to get started. It's the same with children, whose sizes and tastes change with alarming frequency. I'd much prefer shopping by a list than resorting to guesswork, which is often a major headache!

Barmyoldbat Thu 27-Apr-17 11:37:23

Horrified, why not take the time and ask about the child's interests. What stories like like to etc. Otherwise why not a book token.

Ruth1958 Thu 27-Apr-17 11:50:41

How dreadfully rude...are the presents for the mother and a status symbol? Rather like that horrible fashion of giving a child it's birthday cake to smash! Yuck!

Ruth1958 Thu 27-Apr-17 11:52:06

What's wrong with a small surprise present in the post....it's only Spain!

Ruth1958 Thu 27-Apr-17 11:55:45

I think you'll find we do think it's greedy when a 'bride' with a couple of children and a house full of things does provide a list...or even worse money for their 'honeymoon'. And possibly 2 or 3rd partner..cynical Moi?grin

MawBroon Thu 27-Apr-17 12:00:08

Smashing a birthday cake Ruth???
Never heard of that! And when Mum or Granny has sweated blood over the damn thing it, I could not imagine anybody being so STUPID !

mostlyharmless Thu 27-Apr-17 12:00:28

Oh dear I must be out of touch! My way of buying a present for any of the grandchildren is to ask parents for ideas but also to think "what would help the child learn next?" My presents are usually "educational".
Board games for counting (and social) skills, a watch or clock to help them tell the time, shopping till for money skills, lots of books, a volcano kit, chemistry set, art and craft materials, a butterfly farm with live butterfly eggs, a subscription to children's Aquila magazine.
The presents are usually "successful" and enjoyed and help develop an interest in something.
Am I a bit too arrogant - thinking I know best?

kooklafan Thu 27-Apr-17 12:04:02

My son always send me a link, not for himself but for my DIL and GSs. I don't see a problem. Just because there's a link you don't have to purchase from Amazon. You know what they want and you can shop around then for the most reasonably priced one.