Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

"I've always been a lifelong (insert part of choice) voter....."

(103 Posts)
phoenix Tue 25-Apr-17 18:45:48

I have deliberately put this under the "Ask a gran" thread, rather than news & politics, just in case anyone thinks I've lost it.

I am intrigued by this, as in the lifelong thing etc. There was a chap interviewed on the radio the other evening, you know the sort of interview, this one went "I've always voted Labour, like my father and grandfather before me, don't think much of Corbyn, but I'll still be voting Labour"

Sorry, but why? Party's manifestos change, their attitude to some crucial issues change, their leadership changes, (not always for the better), so why not approach each election with an open mind, listen to the policies, think about their impact on you personally,your local area and perhaps the country as a whole, then decide who to vote for.

I would like to stress that I am NOT trying to be contentious, (as some may know I usually stick to "fluffy" posts about cats and underwear, not related of course blush) it really is a genuine question. And although the quote I used from the Radio mentioned Labour, my question applies to any habitual voting.

Just because something has always been done, does it have to continue? (children up chimneys comes to mind)

I look forward to reading any responses, although no doubt I will end up with the tin helmet behind the sofa..sad

GracesGranMK2 Tue 02-May-17 19:34:08

I never have stuck to a party phoenix but I have always been in favour of PR so I don't think this has gone so far off topic.

varian Tue 02-May-17 20:03:13

Both the Tory and Labour parties have cynically clung to the undemocratic FPTP system so that their party could gain majority power on the basis of a minority of votes. Buggins turn has been so destructive for this countfy.

I would never support Theresa May or Jeremy Corbyn as they both suppoft FPTP.