Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What to call a grandfather?

(113 Posts)
granahoy Wed 26-Apr-17 12:22:45

Hello,
I've fairly recently found out I'm going to be a grandmother so I'm hoping to pop on here to ask all sorts of questions in the coming months from the wise and experienced! While I've decided to go with the name Nonnie (which was my grandmother's name) the new grandfather to be is still debating his. I've found quite a bit on the site about names for grandmothers, but not so much for grandfathers. Grandad is taken (other grandparents) and Grandpa makes him feel too old. What are your other halfs called? Or are there any grandfathers on the forums who could give me some ideas? Thank you!

Back to pram research - what an eye-opener!

Nannyliz Sat 29-Apr-17 18:39:03

Poppy was my Grandad's name. My OH was supposed to be Grandpa to our DDG, but she has just started to talk and calls him Papa, which I absolutely love. smile

Peaseblossom Fri 28-Apr-17 22:46:32

We called our grandad Pop Pop. grin my cousin who is the eldest started calling him that when he was tiny and the rest of us just followed suit. When we were older we called him Pop. Grandmother was called Nanny. In cards they always used to put from Nan and Pop. I am called nanny and then my Christian name as is the other grandmother. Ditto for the grandads. Grandad Jxxx and grandad Pxxx

Jalima1108 Fri 28-Apr-17 18:03:54

There seem to be rather a lot of grumpy grandads!
DH gets called Victor sometimes (not by the DGC as they are too young to know who Victor is!).

NfkDumpling Fri 28-Apr-17 17:51:50

There seem to be rather a lot of grumpy grandads!

Leesa Fri 28-Apr-17 14:58:50

We are Nanna and GG (grumpy grandad)

Everthankful Fri 28-Apr-17 10:53:53

My late husband and his dad before him were called Pops by all the grandchildren. Sometimes Popsy by the little ones

kezia Fri 28-Apr-17 08:03:00

My GC have 8 GPs, thanks to divorce and remarriage, so finding names for us all has been interesting! I'm Oma and the others use a combination of Grandma+name, Grandad+name or Grandpa+name.

JackyB Fri 28-Apr-17 06:52:46

To both, I am Nanna and DH is known by his Christian name. When my own kids were born, my father insisted on being called by his Christian name (Pat - nice and easy!). There, too, my mother was always Nanna.

We still haven't found a name for the kids to call my mother, their great-grandmother.

BlueBelle Fri 28-Apr-17 05:43:57

My grandparents were Granny and Granddad and Nanny and Hossie ( Horace)

To my own grandkids I m Nana and now they re older Nan, to the ones that have another Nana I was Nana plus my name

Two of my grandkids have a Nana and Pops for their other grandparents and the three with Belgian 'other' grandparents are Oma and Opa

JackieBee1 Fri 28-Apr-17 05:26:02

Mamy & Papy (French version) smile

Marianne1953 Thu 27-Apr-17 23:10:45

I'm called BonBon and my husband Grandpa

grannybuy Thu 27-Apr-17 22:15:23

In some fishing villages in NE Scotland, a grandfather is 'Dide'.

grannybuy Thu 27-Apr-17 22:09:20

DH is Granda, common here in NE Scotland.

Matthew1 Thu 27-Apr-17 19:12:26

I banana but by husband is grumpy ( and he is grumpy) ???????

Grandmama Thu 27-Apr-17 19:01:03

Gaga!

Lindylou23 Thu 27-Apr-17 18:02:54

My GSN could not say grumpy so it merged into Pappy so all the GC call him that,but the older ones now call him Paps it sounds very affectionate.

Yorkshiregel Thu 27-Apr-17 17:37:35

We had this problem too. In the end they settled on calling us both Grandma and Grandad with the addition of our Christian names. It has pleased everyone....and the children know immediately who they are talking to on the 'phone.

clareken Thu 27-Apr-17 17:26:19

Youngest GD (19 months) can say something that sounds like grandma for me, but calls my OH dad. Her father is daddy. Caused a little confusion at first!

Gangang Thu 27-Apr-17 17:25:06

My husband is called Pop Pop as was his grandfather........ All the grandchildren and their friends call him Pop Pop.

Bubbe Thu 27-Apr-17 16:55:08

Congratulations granahoy Such a wonderful time for you.

In out family we are Bubbe (yiddush) and Saba (hebrew). Just because!! I wanted something that would be easy for the little'uns to say and different to their other GPs

ethelwulf Thu 27-Apr-17 16:50:39

Whatever you like... The little one will come up with their own version of it anyway, which will probably stick. :-)

Blinko Thu 27-Apr-17 16:46:28

GS2 remarked, 'Grandad is funny and sometimes grumpy'. The other Grandad is known as 'Grandpa'. Once when I picked up my GD from school, the teacher said, 'Here's Granny to pick you up'. GD corrected her, 'That's not Granny, that's Grandma'. They're so funny, aren't they? smile

Grampie Thu 27-Apr-17 16:44:24

Grampie works for me and my five grandkids.

...and they call the other grandfather Gramps.

grandMattie Thu 27-Apr-17 16:18:28

When he was just starting to talk, GS1 [son of DS2] decided my DH was "Das" for some reason. His other granddad is "HarryDas"! My DD hates "Das" so DH is Granddad to them.
My Granny was horrible so that was last thing I wanted to be called, and my other GM was "Meregrand"; which I didn't really want. So I'm "Grandma" - a compromise for "Grandmere" which would have been my preferred option.
I think unless one is very fussy, one takes the name one is given by the child.

GannyRowe Thu 27-Apr-17 16:16:01

My maternal Grandparents were, Nanny and Dampty. The latter being a corruption of Grampy which my older sister couldn't pronounce when she was little. My Paternal Grandparents were, Granny (up the garden), our houses backed each other so that was logical, and Dan-Dan, again because my sister couldn't manage Grandad when very little. The thing is, the first thing the little one begins calling you, is often the nicest, and most characterful. This is why I'm Ganny, and I love it!