Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What to call a grandfather?

(112 Posts)
granahoy Wed 26-Apr-17 12:22:45

Hello,
I've fairly recently found out I'm going to be a grandmother so I'm hoping to pop on here to ask all sorts of questions in the coming months from the wise and experienced! While I've decided to go with the name Nonnie (which was my grandmother's name) the new grandfather to be is still debating his. I've found quite a bit on the site about names for grandmothers, but not so much for grandfathers. Grandad is taken (other grandparents) and Grandpa makes him feel too old. What are your other halfs called? Or are there any grandfathers on the forums who could give me some ideas? Thank you!

Back to pram research - what an eye-opener!

Kim0612 Wed 26-Apr-17 12:56:34

When my Grandson was little he couldn't say 'Grandad', it ended up as 'Adda', he is now 12 & it has stuck ever since, his little Brother is2 & he calls him 'Dada', Grandad wouldn't sound right for my Husband somehow. smile

tanith Wed 26-Apr-17 13:10:02

Why can't he be Grandad too? Or Grampy maybe.

Elegran Wed 26-Apr-17 13:26:17

The two Grandads could each be called Grandad to their faces, and referred to when they are not there as "Grandad Jim" or "Grandad Bob".

Penstemmon Wed 26-Apr-17 13:37:47

My DH chose to be Grandpa & I am Nana. One of the other grandmothers is Nana too so we are just Nana when we see the DGC but referred to as Nana Pen or Nana Jay.
Grandpa however was too much for DGC1 to pronounce and she said Gaga and it has stuck. grin Likewise my DDs referred to my dad, also supposed to be Grandpa, as Rabbie as that was how DD1 said it first of all.
So it might not matter one iota what he wants to be called the DGC might choose a name anyway!

Luckygirl Wed 26-Apr-17 13:44:04

One lot call us Mama and Papa; the other two lots Grandma and Grandpa.

Norah Wed 26-Apr-17 13:52:54

Poppy is a nice GP name.

Christinefrance Wed 26-Apr-17 13:53:08

Bubba for our family.

kittylester Wed 26-Apr-17 14:09:16

One of my grandfathers was Poppa as was my father. My DH is Pa and I am Ma.

ranorman45 Wed 26-Apr-17 15:09:22

Grandad was always called Grangran by us when we were small and that name stuck!

yinyito Wed 26-Apr-17 15:11:09

My Sister Is Noni and Bro in law is Pappy! I my self am Moomin ...

glammanana Wed 26-Apr-17 15:19:50

I have always been known as Nana to our DGCs and OH as Grandy when they where little he know gets his full title of Granddad from the all the big ones and poppa from our GGD so yes they will find their own name when they start talking.Enjoy looking for prams its a minefield out there and an expensive one at that.

glammanana Wed 26-Apr-17 15:21:25

^^ should read now" not know (wish could edit)

Margi Wed 26-Apr-17 15:36:55

When I was a child (I'm 70) it used to be Dad-dad and Mammar. My cousin is a Mammar, but not sure about her DH. Has anyone noticed that greetings cards vary according to where you live? I have had to get cards that said Nanny, or Mammar, and send them to friends to send to their parents on behalf of their children because they couldn't buy them locally!

Omaju Wed 26-Apr-17 15:37:50

My husband is Opa and I am Oma. Our son-in-law's parents are Nanny and Pops

ElaineI Wed 26-Apr-17 15:40:00

My DH is Papa as was his father before him. It is a family tradition. Other grandfather is Grumpy.
I am Granny and other grandmother is Granma.

nanaK54 Wed 26-Apr-17 15:41:18

Congrats on your exciting news!flowers
I have number five due in November!
Our DGC have two 'granddads' and us others have suggested their forenames are used in conversations to avoid any mix ups

aprilgrace Wed 26-Apr-17 15:42:55

My DH is Grampsey. He fancied Gramps, but Grampsey seems to have stuck.

M0nica Wed 26-Apr-17 15:44:12

DS calls us Mar and Par so we are called Grandmar and Grandpar. There are two Grandmothers, but only one Grandfather and we are just known as Grandma A and Grandmar M.

Omaju I assume you are German or have German connections.

Granny23 Wed 26-Apr-17 15:46:04

For reasons lost in the mists of time DH is known as 'Granpal'.

ninathenana Wed 26-Apr-17 15:55:39

Oldest GS was learning to talk grandad came out as ranran. D said at the time "that's going to stick" but as he got older it changed to grandad. Then along came number two who had speech delay and trouble with some sounds so we tried pops or poppa. At 5 his speech isn't perfect so ranran has stuck.
Oldest GS calls both GF grandad. I wanted to be nana and I was until the oldest started calling me nannie. So I and the other GM are both nannie.

granahoy Wed 26-Apr-17 15:55:39

Thank you for the good wishes and for all the names! Yinyito, I want to know how you ended up as moomin?!

Barbarae Wed 26-Apr-17 16:35:06

We are Granny and Papa as my parents were.

NanaandGrampy Wed 26-Apr-17 17:07:14

We are Nana and Grampy to all but our oldest Grandaughter. She couldn't say Grampy so she called him Pay and that has stuck.

He says it's ok cos he usually does pay smile

Juggernaut Wed 26-Apr-17 19:26:56

My grandfather was 'Grandy' to me, my father was 'Grandy' to my DS, and DH is now 'Grandy' to our DGS!
My cousins all called my Grandy 'Grandfather', he may have been a Grandfather to all of us, but he was my Grandy and I loved the bones of him. He's been gone since 1983 and I still miss him like crazy!