Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What should I do with it?

(105 Posts)
phoenix Tue 23-May-17 18:54:07

Evening all, a minor thing in light of today's events, but I seek advice.

On Sunday, whilst taking a dish of lovely, golden, crispy roast potatoes from the oven, my attention was drawn to the fact that there was a hole in my oven gloves.

As the message of intense heat transferred itself from my finger to the receptors in my brain, I was forced to say "golly gosh, crickey, that's a tad warm"

Actually, that is a fib blush, I hopped around the kitchen (God knows what the hopping was supposed to achieve, it just seemed to happen, a reflex I suppose) shouting "f#c#, bu££er, sh%t"

Of course I was left with a blister. This is now, Tuesday evening, seeming to get larger and amusing itself by throbbing gently.

It currently covers about half of the third section of my finger, and is playing havoc with various everyday functions. confused

Now, do I just leave it to possibly get bigger and throbbier, or should I pop it, bung on some Germolene (love that smell, takes me back to grazed knees and roller skates!) and add a plaster?

The dish of potatoes made it safely to the worktop, God knows how.

mernice Wed 24-May-17 10:05:17

Strictly NO CREAM. Just clean and dry.

AdeleJay Wed 24-May-17 10:05:21

Keep covered with clean wound dressing. I use Sudocrem but must try acriflex. Very difficult place to keep dry & clean though. Hope it heals soon. I take ages to heal these days.

MadMaisie Wed 24-May-17 10:15:52

If it is still bothering you go and see your local pharmacist who will be able to advise you.

ninuksmith Wed 24-May-17 10:16:11

Aloevera plant (the jelly like and slimy flesh of the leaves when you slice it) has been our favourite remedy whenever we got burnt while cooking. We just cover the burnt area with the slime and repeat a couple of times during the day. In our experience it stopped the burn from turning into a blister. We therefore keep aloevera plant on our kitchen window sill. It doesn't need much looking after because it is a succulant plant, it doesn't need much watering. Sorry that this doesn't help your present problem, Phoenix, but I hope it got sorted/healed soon. And I do agrre with the others...do not burst the blister.

radicalnan Wed 24-May-17 10:16:30

A nice big bandage should ensure that your wound has time to heal, you will not be able to wash up or do anything boring.......I could hang that out for a fortnight of martyrdom.

Never pop a blister,ice and cold water the best things but it takes ages to cool a burn down, I shall buy some Acfriflex now I had forgotten that stuff but living alone have struggled with the Aloe vera plant in times of need.........

I find sitting with my feet up, good book and bar of chocolate helps with practiclly everything, nice holiday brochure can rive useful.......tell your OH I said so.

grandMattie Wed 24-May-17 10:20:42

I have foundthat a compress of tincture of Calendula is absolutely magic for burns.
The pain goes away almost instantly and it heals extremely quickly. Worth a try?
I discovered that when i had cleverly dipped two fingers into an urn of boiling water!

phoenix Wed 24-May-17 10:29:13

It seems to be going down, slightly & slowly.

Still managing to keep it un popped!

Caro1954 Wed 24-May-17 10:33:55

Don't pop (though you can continue with the expletives if you feel the need!), try to leave it be. Good advice to see the pharmacist too. Good luck! flowers

sarahellenwhitney Wed 24-May-17 10:53:31

If you have a local minor injuries unit let them look at it. You don't need an appointment but take a book as you may have to sit and wait a while.They will dress it for you.I was also given a takeaway pack to continue the treatment as these small blisters can get infected so better be safe than sorry.

JackyB Wed 24-May-17 11:37:45

Have you chucked out the oven gloves yet?

LadyGracie Wed 24-May-17 11:53:29

Witch hazel gel is magic on burns, if used straight away it stops the stinging and blistering. Applied to the blister it will aid in drying it up more quickly.

paddyann Wed 24-May-17 11:54:01

buy some blister plasters they seem to pull the liquid out of the blister without breaking the skin.You'll get them in Boots

gagsy Wed 24-May-17 12:14:42

Acriflex is brilliant. I always keep a tube in the kitchen

Cosafina Wed 24-May-17 12:55:51

I'm a First Aider and can tell you definitely do not pop it. I'm assuming you didn't run it under the cold tap for 5-10 mins, which might have reduced the formation of the blister.

Best to cover it in clingfilm and wait for it to go down.

Barbarae Wed 24-May-17 15:34:31

My daughter uses cling film wrapped tightly round a burn as soon as it happens and the lack of oxygen seems to prevent the burn from developing.

wot Wed 24-May-17 15:45:58

Phoenix, you made me laugh!

phoenix Wed 24-May-17 16:35:43

Glad to hear it wotgrin

Being in a rural location means minor injuries units are a fair distance away, Sarah,

cosafina I did put it under the tap for a while, but probably not long enough, as once I had finished hopping and swearing, I really just wanted to get the bloody dinner dished up and eaten!

Magrithea Wed 24-May-17 16:37:09

Lavender oil works well on blisters!

meandashy Wed 24-May-17 17:30:51

As a young teen I got a kettle of boiling water over my bare feet ?
The man I was with in his misguided wisdom covered my feet in butter and wrapped then in a clean t-shirt. Needless to say my feet are a bit of a mess. Especially thin skin and can be sore in the summer.
Good luck with your blister ?

Christinefrance Wed 24-May-17 18:01:51

Hope its clearing up now Phoenix, it wasn't your nose picking finger was it?

Coolgran65 Wed 24-May-17 18:27:07

Exactly what Elegran said.
Icy water and Acriflex.
I even take Acriflex on holiday.
I don't seem to be able to get through a Sunday without a couple of burns from the oven shelves.

Ana Wed 24-May-17 18:32:15

Oh yuk, christinefrance!

Outtawork Wed 24-May-17 18:43:06

wish l had known not to put anything on it. l scalded my arm with steam from the kettle, applied savelon & a dressing, changed it every day & it still had pus coming out 8 days later. l am now on anti biotics cos its infected.

1974cookie Wed 24-May-17 18:45:15

A blister forms to protect the skin underneath. It is natures way of sorting things out and repairing the damage.
If left alone, and protected, the fluid is reabsorbed and the area will heal completely.
Never burst a blister.
Poor You. ?.

Outtawork Wed 24-May-17 18:57:09

don't know how l can have shower without getting my arm wet, unless l cling film my arm, any ideas are welcome, lm seeing the nurse again tomoro but not until 3pm