Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Orange tights

(140 Posts)
Baggs Sat 03-Jun-17 07:47:32

The question is can, no, dare I wear orange tights with this dress?

Lona Sun 04-Jun-17 14:46:49

Usually, when I've seen photos of you Baggs, you wear unusual and colourful clothes, so I think you've already decided to wear the orange tights.
As long as you're happy and comfortable, then I say go for it! ?

PamelaJ1 Sun 04-Jun-17 14:49:02

Of course not

Lupatria Sun 04-Jun-17 14:50:17

i would wear orange tights if i wanted. several years ago when coloured shoes were in vogue i had the tights to match. i remember yellow, pink, red, light blue, french navy as well as black and blue. funnily enough i never wore brown/tan/whatever they call it tights.
these days i find it too difficult to wear tights so, when i can find them and when i actually wear a skirt or dress, i wear stay ups [or whatever you want to call them]. a lot cooler and easier to put on than tights.
however, day to day, when i go out i'm in trousers so no need for stockings or tights. if i'm not in trousers sitting around at home then it's a long black dress again with no stockings or tights [well, who's going to see me].
i'd go for it bags - if you want to wear orange tights and they look good with the dress [they're certainly a match] then wear it. check in your mirror first though and if you like what you see then d*mn the rest of them!

TriciaF Sun 04-Jun-17 14:58:15

Buy a pair, put them on and ask your daughter what she thinks (your teenage daughter.)
I wouldn't dare, but then I'm older than you.

rosesarered Sun 04-Jun-17 15:06:41

Is everybody confusing Baggs with thatbags........ or is Baggs indeed thatbags? Anybody know? grin

Baggs Sun 04-Jun-17 15:10:37

Yes, thatbags is indeed now Baggs. Needed a temporary ID. Came back as Baggs.

Baggs Sun 04-Jun-17 15:13:55

grannycupcake, I've worn socks with sandals and summer shoes all my life. Loads of women used to wear bobby socks with summer dresses in the fifties. I've always wondered why it went out of fashion. Mind you, I only wear flat shoes, which prolly makes me a weirdo in some people's eyes wink. My feet are far too precious to be subject to torture.

Baggs Sun 04-Jun-17 15:16:33

shinyredcar, my mum won't bat an eyelid. She knows me quite well, you see wink. Besides, her sight is almost gone so bright colours and clear contrasts are helpful to her.

Bellanonna Sun 04-Jun-17 15:16:49

Yes roses - she posted about a name change.

And Baggs, from what I "know" of you you will wear orange tights if you want to! To be honest I thought they looked good in the picture and picked up the stripe well. If it were me I would probably go for mauve/purple, but I think orange would look different. In a nice way.

I have purple and red tights in my drawer but as I usually wear trousers they don't often get worn. Someone mentioned about a time when coloured shoes were in fashion? Really? I love coloured shoes and have several pairs but most of the time just wear flat ones.

Baggs Sun 04-Jun-17 15:22:22

maw, the shoes will be "Red or Dead" style Jade in navy or dark green.

rosesarered Sun 04-Jun-17 15:25:49

Hello Baggs !
You could have called yourself Baggins (Bilbo)
Once read a book where a young man was arrested in South America somewhere and was being interrogated about drugs, when asked for his name said 'Bilbo Baggins' and then though hell, me and my big mouth,.....the sinister policeman said good, we are getting somewhere, and why are you here Mr Baggins? grin

Ramblingrose22 Sun 04-Jun-17 15:43:08

Your question suggests that even though you don't mind wearing colourful things, you're not sure orange tights are a good idea with the dress in question.

Personally I agree with M0nica and others that orange tights are never a good idea.

If you'd really like to wear them, they'd look "better" with a plain colour (but not red or pink!) or a plainer pattern. IHMO the bright colours of the dress make the orange in the stripes of the dress barely visible.

Dying to know - What are "Red or Dead" style shoes, please?

Baggs Sun 04-Jun-17 15:59:21

I've just tried on the dress and tights together. They look fine, not at all loud or garish. I think some of you are imagining the orange of orange skins. It's not that kind of orange, more like a lightish terracotta. The tights aren't shiny either, but matt.

I asked the question because I've never worn orange, or any interesting coloured tights, before. I can't remember when I last wore tights, actually. The dress was in a Land's End sale and is the first dress that suits my shape (fitted bodice but not tight, and a nicely flared skirt to just below the knee; rather like my Scottish dancing dem dress now I think about it) that I've seen in years. I've actually been looking for such a dress for several years.

I'll get someone to take a photo when I've got the whole outfit on. Some of you will like it, some of you won't. C'est la vie.

Baggs Sun 04-Jun-17 16:03:05

And thank you all for the input! The response on here and on my FB page has been a lot of fun smile.

Oh yeah, the friend who gave me the tights met me about ten years ago when I was wearing my curtain trousers (large florals on navy blue; yes, I made them out of some curtains). She asked me where I'd got them because she loved them. She has very good colour sense and always looks great. She's about twenty years younger than me.

Baggs Sun 04-Jun-17 16:06:31

rambling, I wouldn't call the dress bright at all. The overall impression is quite staid really.

Just like me ?

oldgoat Sun 04-Jun-17 16:18:47

By the way baggs did you ever buy that yellow rompers suit with the wide straps?

Baggs Sun 04-Jun-17 16:34:12

No. I decided the straps would slip off my shoulders all the time. This is the trouble with pictures of models posing in clothes: they aren't doing anything. My clothes have to cope with quite a lot of demands!

harrigran Sun 04-Jun-17 16:45:41

My daughter had to wear yellow dungarees for a job and she couldn't keep the straps on her shoulders as she is such a skinny minnie.

baubles Sun 04-Jun-17 17:31:00

Whad'ya'mean could, baubles!?

Emphasis on you not could Baggs wink

DanniRae Sun 04-Jun-17 19:01:26

I just looked at the shoes - let me just say they are NOT something I would wear an leave it at that (but they do look comfortable).

Jalima1108 Sun 04-Jun-17 19:49:11

I like them - they remind me of my Clark's sandals!

mimiro Sun 04-Jun-17 19:55:29

tights are great fun and should be enjoyed
i have a couple dozen in all sorts of colors and patterns
no shiny ones tho
orange would look great with the cross thread in the fabric rock on

marionk Sun 04-Jun-17 20:39:45

If you chicken out of orange tights then go for orange shoes/sandals. I love orange and am wearing orange sandals this summer

Baggs Sun 04-Jun-17 21:39:37

jalima, that's exactly what I thought when I pounced on them in a shop! We only had brown when we were kids though.

Jalima1108 Sun 04-Jun-17 21:42:17

I had red and occasionally blue!