Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

New Grandchild-friendly car needed.

(59 Posts)
Eartha Sat 01-Jul-17 14:42:40

My present car (a Suzuki Swift) has finally given up the ghost and I am on the look out for a suitable replacement. I look after my 3 year old grandson at least once a week so need a practical, economical 4 door car with a decent sized boot.

I am hoping you lovely Gransnetters can help me with your recommendations.

GrandmaRuth Sun 02-Jul-17 18:35:23

When 1st grandson arrived I had to sell my yellow MX5 ( my most favourite car) and yes, I bought a Honda Jazz, which fitted the purpose, but I still miss Poppy ☹️

mostlyharmless Sun 02-Jul-17 18:55:11

We're another couple with a Ford B-max. Same basic size as a Fiesta but with higher seating position and convenient sliding rear doors. Easy for us to get in and out of and great for fastening children into their seats. Flexible boot configuration too.

Diggingdoris Sun 02-Jul-17 20:08:37

I have Toyota Yaris as well. Good sizes all round and cheap to run. This one is 2 years old now as I treated myself to a brand new one with an inheritance, but I had the previous one 14 years and never any problems. I swear by them. Good luck

lesley4357 Sun 02-Jul-17 20:27:21

Nissan Juke. Got mine when daughter had 2nd child (I mind them both at least 2 days a week). Nice and high so good visibility, buggy sized boot and can get 2 child seats easily in the back - 3 at a squash. Nice and chunky so it feels safe as well

Coolgran65 Mon 03-Jul-17 02:33:01

I have a Ford Focus and love it, chose it for the space and the massive boot. Loads of room for buggy and shopping. Dh has a Qashqai which is brilliant and more likely to be used with the dgc. Love the height and again massive boot area.
My Focus is 7 years old but only has 29,000 miles done as we use dh car mainly.

Meer13511 Mon 03-Jul-17 08:38:02

Mazda C5 fantastic
Or if too big for you Mazda C3
We have the former
Daughter has the latter
Happy motoring

Moneyboss Mon 03-Jul-17 18:42:29

I loved my Honda CRV, now have a Mitsubishi Outlander, both are high enough to make getting children in and out a little easier.

woo69 Wed 05-Jul-17 07:51:38

I am surprised at so many people recommending the Jazz. My dad (83) has had larger cars for years as my mum had a wheelchair/mobility scooter. Sadly she died 2 months ago and the first thing my dad said was he needed to get a smaller car. He opted for a Jazz as he has a couple of friends with them and my FIL has one. He picked it up 6 days after my mum died and has complained about it ever since. He says it is jerky - even though I have tried telling him he needs to get used to driving a smaller engined car- and I have had the boot open and it seems tiny, definitely wouldn't get my granddaughters pram in. My sister is visiting at the moment and has a medium sized suitcase with her and that fills the boot.