Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How much do you tip?

(105 Posts)
grannysue05 Fri 21-Jul-17 12:55:32

Just returned from an indulgent morning getting a luxury pedicure in time for my holidays.
It was a Zen Spa treat with all the bells and whistles. Lovely - and very relaxing.
The final bill came to £60, all paid for by a generous birthday voucher from friends.
The therapist was delightful and I began to wonder how much to tip her. Gave her 10% = £6.
She was more than grateful. No one ever gives me so much she told me!
So did I overtip?
GN's views on modern tipping please.

Christinefrance Thu 03-Aug-17 10:45:10

No you are not tight Nanability just sensible.
I still don't understand why some groups of workers are singled out for tips or Christmas gifts and not others.

Nanabilly Thu 03-Aug-17 10:22:11

I think I must be a right old tight one as I rarely tip. For me to give anyone a tip they have to have gone over and above their normal duties or service .They normally get a wage and I always worked in an environment where tipping could never be accepted or gifts of any kind so it does not come naturally. I do however give a Christmas gift to hairdresser. Binmen. postman if we have the usual one on at christmas. They change so often on our round..but never to free delivery papers or parcel delivery people or taxi drivers.

MTDancer Thu 03-Aug-17 10:06:19

I tip my hairdresser about 5-8%. I don't use taxis, hardly ever eat out. I am very poor and cannot afford to tip really but, even if I could afford to< I wouldn't. I have always been on low pay and have never received tips. Why should I tip when I get less than the people who I would be tipping?
Hairdresser gets it because he usually also does my brows and gives me a discount

Jalima1108 Fri 28-Jul-17 20:40:38

yattypung DH tried to tip a very helpful waitress in Trinity Beach once when we had a very good meal at a small restaurant. She was very embarrassed and didn't want to take a tip but he had had rather a lot of wine and kept insisting!
He won in the end, I think she went and shared it with all the staff. He never normally gets tipsy but it was a short walk back to our rented apartment. grin

yattypung Fri 28-Jul-17 08:40:09

Gosh, you are all very generous...I live in Australia and we don't tip at all.

BlueBelle Thu 27-Jul-17 07:35:58

Seaside I think that is perfectly acceptable a Christmas bonus for a paper,lad/ girl who isn't earning a wage as such but you wouldn't expect tips every week would you? like someone said they always tip the delivery driver but why?

I ve just had a new fence erected I made the chap tea cakes and biscuits during the day at the end I paid him the £300+ and thanked him telling how happy I was with the job he'd done I didn't feel the need to add another 10% on top of that but the way this thread is sounding a lot of people would have

seasider Thu 27-Jul-17 07:16:41

My son is a paper boy who works 6 mornings a week , in all weathers, for £ 11.30 a week . He was so grateful to the customers who tipped him a few quid at Christmas. I did tell him to put thank you cards through the doors of the people he did not see who had left the money at the shop.

gillybob Thu 27-Jul-17 07:08:35

Oops my ipodpad was stuck on the previous page. It had already been explained. Sorry.

gillybob Thu 27-Jul-17 07:07:14

I think Maggie might have meant £120 collectively (all added up from every child) ? Bluebelle (as in 30 children per class each giving gifts worth £4) apologies if this has already been pointed out.

BlueBelle Thu 27-Jul-17 07:00:41

Juggernaut thank you for your explanation
I too believe money should be spread around but not necessarily to those already earning a wage
I totally understand your critism about the poor waiting at your special meal but I still find your note the wrong way to complain imo If you didn't want to say something to management why not have a quiet word with the waiter maybe there was a vey good explanation for him not smiling or maybe he was just a miserable bugger who needed a word in his ear to pull him up

I still feel tipping is outdated ( although it seems to have gone to a new level ) and very unfair because of disparages in who to tip and who not to ..........I dont like favouritism so for me it would be all or nothing, tip everyone who serves you or let everyone earn their wage in a normal manner .... it also feels like bribery if I tip you, you ll look after me really well next time or is about oneupmanship ( I see that in the teacher tipping) or is just habit, or is it about appearances not wanting to appear mean

What's wrong with a good old fashioned GENUINE thank you

Penstemmon Wed 26-Jul-17 21:19:25

I agree that gifts for teachers can, in some areas, get out of hand. Where my DD works the PTA parent rep. for each has an envelope and who ever wants to give can put in something or nothing. It is then divided between teacher and teaching assistant. It is true that some children give flowers or sweets too but I think many of the additional gifts DD got were from children she had taught before and who were leaving the school.

My SiL is a firefighter..they get loads of food at the station from appreciative 'clients' in the same way that most hospital wards get cakes., biscuits, sweets and I know my nurse friend said they now get pizza & M&S vouchers too!(there is an M&S food shop in the hospital.) I think it is natural to show gratitude particularly at crisis times (hospital/fire & rescue). I think also my DD is a reception teacher so the 'first' teacher in school that the children have. But I do agree we have varying responses to those that provide a 'service'. I did not tip the rat man when he collected the bait boxes today! shock

Christinefrance Tue 25-Jul-17 16:37:39

Sorry Juggernaut I still cannot agree with what you say, wages / salaries should not enter the equation, how many shop assistants get a tip for example? A tip should only be given if someone has gone over and above the call of duty but of course that's my opinion and you have yours.

Juggernaut Tue 25-Jul-17 12:57:21

'Friend' not 'frind'!

Juggernaut Tue 25-Jul-17 12:51:46

Bluebelle
We're not very well off, certainly not in comparison to some posters on here!
However, I believe that money should be spread around, and that's one of the reasons why I tip and give out 'Xmas boxes'!
The waiter who was so ill mannered and surly was in at least his late thirties, old enough to be far more professional in his dealings with customers!
You may think I was mean leaving the note for him, but he spoiled what should have been a wonderful meal, so personally I think he got away lightly! I left the note on the table for him, I could have complained to the manager, which would have been a lot worse for him!
The meal in question was to celebrate our 30th Anniversary, and his attitude put a dampener on the whole evening.
His tip would have been £9-00 because the bill was for almost £90-00, so 10%!
We've only spent that sort of cash on a meal twice in our lives, the other occasion being at the Rainbow Rooms at the Rockefeller Centre. The bill there was obscene, and I break into a cold sweat every time I think of it! That was strictly a one-off, the food was wonderful and the view amazing, but I don't think we'll be eating there ever again!

The £80-00 given at Xmas to Postman, Window Cleaner and Binmen is put in a tub in the kitchen in dribs and drabs through the year, then changed into notes just before it's needed.

Whenever any of our family have been in Hospital, we take in cakes/biscuits/chocolates for the ward staff to have at tea breaks. I don't consider that to be a 'tip', it's a Thank You!
In fact my DM's 83rd Birthday party was held in her room on the Haematology ward, where she died 13 days later of Leukaemia. All the staff were invited, from cleaners to consultants, there were sandwiches, pork pies, crisps, cake, lots of soft drinks and even jelly and ice cream. She wasn't in a private room because we paid, the ward has private rooms for their very seriously ill patients, and those rooms have their own fridges with tiny freezer boxes. The fridges are bought with donations from patients and their families, not NHS funds. So my DM had a lovely time on what we all knew would be her last birthday, and the staff got a treat too. The staff on that ward are amazing, I'm not made of the strong stuff that they are!

You commented that binmen seem to get a fairly good wage for doing a horrible job. In this borough, their salary is between £13000 & £22000, I wouldn't call that a good salary for what they do!

You compared the horrible aspect of a bin man's job to that of a Nurse cleaning up a drunk's vomit, or a Police Officer finding a stabbed body. There are awful aspects to all three jobs (my DF was a Police Officer, so I know), but the financial arrangements are very different.
A Registered Nurse's salary is usually between £22000 & £37000, avaraging out at £31000.
Police Officers earn between £21000 & £39000 with an average of £30000.
My DH's closest frind is a newly retired Fireman. Okay, his salary was good, but just how many of us would be prepared to do that job!

I hope this makes it plain why I didn't leave a tip for the surly waiter and why I do 'Xmas boxes'?

trisher Tue 25-Jul-17 11:17:28

My best present was a drawing by a child which his mum had put into a second hand frame. Meant a lot to me and decorated my wall for along time.

Jalima1108 Tue 25-Jul-17 11:07:50

I agree Bluebelle
A home-made thank you card would be much appreciated by teachers.

trisher Tue 25-Jul-17 11:07:44

Even if it was a rule BlueBellesome parents would find ways around it, they always do. If the gift is presented outside the school gates would that be in the rule- sent to the teacher's house ? Believe me parents can be the most devious of beings when they choose.
Having children and parents who just say "Thank you" is great and entirely enough, but you can't tell the parents that. Believe me most of us have tried.

BlueBelle Tue 25-Jul-17 10:52:29

Christinefrance I do so agree with you
it shouldn't be necessary to tell anyone trisher it should just be a rule no end of term presents bar maybe a card There is huge oneupmanship which spoils everything
The same happens with the world book day it was a brilliant idea to have a fun day for kids to dress up but then some parents spoilt it by buying ready made outfits off eBay etc now they will hire them from costume companies and some little kids still turn up in a tea towel and feel pants I ve known kids go in their school uniform for the day because their costume wasn't as good as their friends

What's wrong with saying thank you and meaning it at the end of term as we ve just seen by the above posts a lot of the stuff gets put in charity shops or given away, .....is that the true meaning of giving its all got mercernary and out of hand

Jalima1108 Tue 25-Jul-17 10:20:27

My friend used to share them out with her assistants, school secretary etc and still ended up with a drawerful of gifts, some very generous. Some she kept and used, others she gave to our women's group to sell at meetings, the proceeds of which went to charity. However, she had to be careful that none of her 'school mums' were at the meetings!

trisher Tue 25-Jul-17 09:56:12

Christinefrance I wouldn't want to be the one to tell either the parent or the child that I couldn't accept a present from them. I can imagine some parents who would become very aggressive- "Not good enough for you isn't it!" and some children who would simply burst into tears. Ether way the teacher would be at fault. And I have left chocolates for the nurses after my mum had been in hospital.

Auntieflo Tue 25-Jul-17 09:41:58

I wonder how many teachers would prefer NOT to be given gifts, either token or more, as it's amazing how many of these end up on the shelves in charity shops at the end of term.

Aslemma Mon 24-Jul-17 11:54:52

It does normally depend on the service I've received and varies considerably abroad. We all know that it is obligatory in the US but in Hongkong it is frowned on. I remember the look on the chambermaid's face when I tipped her. It broke into a beaming smile while she put her finger to her lips to indicate it was to be a secret. In Tunisia the maid came into my room early one morning saying "fete, fete". It took me a few minutes to realise it was the Eid festival and she was hopimg I'd give her a tip early to help her buy presents for her children. ?

Maggiemaybe Mon 24-Jul-17 08:51:00

How can parents be into oneupmanship with a limit of £4 per child per year though? I honestly think most children want to give their little present. As for other staff in school who don't get them - well I was one of those and couldn't have cared less. I'm an adult!

Christinefrance Mon 24-Jul-17 08:43:48

Yes Maggiemaybe but unfortunately it doesn't stop with a simple box of chocs, parents are always into one upmanship. What about less popular teachers ? What about the cleaners and dinner ladies?
Nobody working in education or NHS should accept gifts.

Maggiemaybe Mon 24-Jul-17 08:12:08

Why not have no gifts? Because I think most of us like to give them, don't we? And in my experience it's the poorest children who get the most joy from being able to hand over that box of Maltesers on the last day of term.