How much do you tip?

grannysue05 Fri 21-Jul-17 12:55:32

Just returned from an indulgent morning getting a luxury pedicure in time for my holidays.
It was a Zen Spa treat with all the bells and whistles. Lovely - and very relaxing.
The final bill came to £60, all paid for by a generous birthday voucher from friends.
The therapist was delightful and I began to wonder how much to tip her. Gave her 10% = £6.
She was more than grateful. No one ever gives me so much she told me!
So did I overtip?
GN's views on modern tipping please.

Imperfect27 Fri 21-Jul-17 13:23:37

I'm with you, I tend to go with 10% and round up to the nearest £1.

ninathenana Fri 21-Jul-17 13:30:10

I've never paid for beauty treatments as D is qualified. smile
Restaurants H is a very generous tipper, too much so IMO.

Devorgilla Fri 21-Jul-17 13:31:53

My daughters, who all did bar and restaurant work as students, have me trained up. At least 10% and more if in the States. I usually leave it in cash. Remember to check the bill to see if it has already been added. Has the added advantage if you become a regular of decent tables and service.

PamelaJ1 Fri 21-Jul-17 13:44:25

Wow if only I could charge that here in Norfolk.
At 2 I will be doing a pedicure and facial on my client for £50! My salon isn't state of the art but it's very nice.
I think I'll review my prices!

cornergran Fri 21-Jul-17 13:47:02

I'm a seriously uncomfortable tipper. Usually aim for 10% if the service has warranted it and leave cash, always feel awkward though.

Norah Fri 21-Jul-17 14:35:43

I tip at 12-18% on spa, deliveries, river cruises, cafes, etc.

glammanana Fri 21-Jul-17 15:11:50

I have always given 10% or nearest £ and 15% when in US gaurentee's always getting appointment at hairdresser to suit me and best tables when dining at our regular haunt.
I also give the little girl who shampoo's my hair her own £2 as I think sometimes these youngsters are forgotten about.Hubby always tips our gardener when he puts in fresh bedding plants/cuts hedges/moves big pots etc I wish I could move them as he always tips over the top

paddyann Fri 21-Jul-17 15:14:01

minimum 15% I have a son who worked in hospiytality for a few years and the tips were what made his "wage" worth while .also my canadian friend always tips 20% and makes me feel guilty if I dont match her

annsixty Fri 21-Jul-17 15:43:20

I think you are all very generous.
I seldom eat out but would tip 10% . I do use taxis a lot and as they are short journeys I probably over tip as the sum is small but the drivers know me and carry my bags up the drive and into the porch or front door.
I have a home hairdresser who will not take a tip but I give her a good tip at C......s and always gave her C pocket money when they went on holiday. They are too old now.

Greenfinch Fri 21-Jul-17 15:44:24

10% for hairdresser and in restaurants. I always tip in cash as a waiter in one of the well known pizza chains told me that they did not get it if it was added to the card.I usually give £1 to taxi drivers as my journey is generally under £10.

BlueBelle Fri 21-Jul-17 15:45:27

See I find this all so weird why would you tip a beauty therapist who charges quite high prices but not tip the girl in the shoe shop who runs up and down getting different sizes for you Why tip a taxi driver but not a bus or train driver Why tip a hairdresser but not a teacher My nurse daughter doesn't have any tips for saving lives it's weird isn't it you don't tip the man that comes to mend your appliances or the poor old postman who walks for miles
I don't like tipping I think people should have proper wages and not have to rely on tipping

annsixty Fri 21-Jul-17 15:50:43

I agree but we are dealing with the situation as it is and not what we would like it to be.
I understand train drivers have rejected an offer of £75,000 no tips needed there.

kittylester Fri 21-Jul-17 15:54:11

I do tip the postwoman! And paperboy/girl.

I tip the girl who washes my hair at the hairdressers but not the owner who is a friend and comes for supper! I tip the girl who does my feet as it's not her salon.

I would tip at dinner time but not at lunchtime if I'm eating out. How weird is that! My friend's do the same! confused

kittylester Fri 21-Jul-17 15:54:34

My friends not my friend's!!

newnanny Fri 21-Jul-17 16:02:12

Postman £10 at Christmas
Royal Mail delivery driver £10 at Christmas
Window cleaner £10
Delivery drivers £5-£10 depending on weight/number of item
Hairdresser 10%
Restaurant waiter £10%
Taxi's + £5 on to fare

All tips in cash
Don't tip at spa as annual membership cost is very high

gillybob Fri 21-Jul-17 16:47:54

Bloomin' heck newnanny !

I tip hairdresser a couple of £ (about 10%)
Taxis rounded up to next £ or 2
Restaurant 10% (rarely eat out mind you)

That's it. I must be a meany .

harrigran Fri 21-Jul-17 17:37:23

I tip my hairdresser because I always have but she now does my hair in my home using my shampoo, towels and electricity so I am not over generous.
I tip in restaurants but check to see if service charge is added to the bill, if you add another 10% you could be giving 20/22%. I have never had a meal that is worth another 20% on top.
I do not tip delivery men,do they really expect it ? My sister tips every tradesman that comes to her door and she swears that they treat her royally because of this [ hmm]

Ana Fri 21-Jul-17 17:43:24

Delivery drivers - neither would I harrigran!

newnanny Fri 21-Jul-17 17:46:24

My eldest son a delivery driver and he is always pleased to get tip. I can always get hair appointment when I want one so worth it especially around Christmas/New Year when hard to book. Should have added I only tip window cleaner at Christmas not every month.

rosesarered Fri 21-Jul-17 17:51:51

Only tip hairdresser, window cleaner and when we eat out.I think 10% is enough.

rosesarered Fri 21-Jul-17 17:52:18

Same here....window cleaner at Christmas only.

Cherrytree59 Fri 21-Jul-17 18:06:33

I'm sorry but I don't tip unless I'm served by a student.
We have a minimum wage.
Why does somebody that drives a taxi
Deserve a tip ?
Do you tip the bus driver?

My hairdresser comes to my house
Uses my water and electricity.
And drives a BMW.
Equally the lady who does my pedicure owns her business

The lady at the check out probably earns less but she doesn't get a tip.

I am willing to pay the window cleaner , hairdresser, taxi driver
whatever the going rate is.
If I have had good service then a Christmas box.
Not nessesarly money I have a very nice man who collects and returns my ironing I give him a nice bottle of wine (that I know he likes) and for the girls chocolates and biscuits.

BlueBelle Fri 21-Jul-17 18:08:53

Gillybob I m a meany too, well more of a meany than you I give the taxi driver the change from the note usually a quid or two I don't eat out in the evening only lunch time so I don't think people tip for lunch well no one I knows does... I don't tip the hairdresser why would I she has her own business drives a big car with a personalised numberplate her husband works for the oil industry and makes a mint She should tip me she charges enough for a fifteen minute trim (£21) and I ve sent three new clients to her.
I don't have any trades people only a postie and I never see him, I don't have a window cleaner, do it myself nor a paper boy I read online I never go for beauty treatment and if I did I wouldn't tip it's their job
If someone helped me personally over and above their job I would tip but I don't feel I should tip for people doing their job
I d much rather use my money for a charity of my choice and no I m not a mean person I m actually very generous

whitewave Fri 21-Jul-17 18:10:54

I give Christmas boxes to all my regular people like the postman, milkman and window cleaner as well as the paper boy.

I tip 10% on everything else unless I'm in USA.