Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Direct approach begging

(106 Posts)
Imperfect27 Fri 21-Jul-17 13:22:31

I know live a pretty sheltered life. I seldom encounter homeless people unless I visit a nearby city, but then I do respond and I always give something to street collections too.
Last night I met a best friend for a meal out. We elected to sit outside as it was such a mild evening and the terrace was on the high street. We were the only ones sitting there when a man came up to us and handed us a flier. He didn't speak initially and I just thought he was advertising something local - there was a street theatre production unfolding in front of us at the time too. However the flier - which was badly printed - explained that he and his family are financially in need of support. It also depicted two girls.
I think I went through a whole range of emotions - surprise, discomfort (embarrassment?) guilt, confusion ... as it gradually dawned that he was directly asking for money. Like me, I could tell my friend felt vey uncomfortable. We both gave him some coins and my friend tried to engage him in conversation to say he needed to seek financial assistance from the local authority. He said "I only speak French!" in a way that simply closed down conversation and he seemed angry. He looked 'foreign' - it went through my racing mind that he might be an illegal immigrant. Once we had handed over the money, he also indicated that he wanted the fliers back. I doubted if he was 'genuine' as did my friend, but we felt we had given him the benefit of the doubt. We saw him stopping people up and down the high street several times over the rest of the evening.
I just felt so taken aback and, to be honest, quite intimidated at the time.
Anyone else had this type of experience?

Marieeliz Sat 22-Jul-17 11:50:18

Duramjen picked up by Charity workers in 4x4's you are joking.

Marieeliz Sat 22-Jul-17 11:52:24

Initially Big Issue was for a short period of time until people got on their feet. It is a business now. My brother stopped giving in Edinburgh after he realised the guy and been there 3 years. Near me two Romanian's have been in two small towns for 5 years. I see people giving them money and not taking the Magazine. Another outside Tesco also sells cigarettes out of his back pack.

Pamted Sat 22-Jul-17 12:10:32

It is not just restricted to the street in large cities. A short while ago I was approached while working the till in a charity shop. I was given a grubby piece of card saying that the holder was deaf and would I give him money. I said no - the same approach I give to all beggers. He became very agressive saying "but I am deaf!" and only left once he realised that he wasn't getting anything. I later found that he had tried this in several charity shops in this very quiet market town. I do give to homeless charities but refuse to give to those that I am unsure of.

Chicklette Sat 22-Jul-17 12:20:21

Last week I went to a local supermarket with my eldest grandson, 8. As we left he asked me if I needed all the food I'd bought. He then pointed to a homeless man sitting outside a shop and said "could we give something to him?" I was pleased at his attitude, but at that stage the lock clicked on our trolley (even though we were nowhere near the exit) and in the kerfuffle I forgot about it. I think I would have allowed him to offer the man something, with me in attendance. I know a while ago he and his family were at the seafront and his younger brother had bought some doughnuts but they couldn't eat them all so he gave them to a homeless man.

There are huge numbers of homeless in Southend, but there is also a brilliant homeless charity, so I give to that rather than to beggars. But I'm pleased our boys are aware that not everyone has as much as they do.

svalentine60 Sat 22-Jul-17 12:33:19

A lot of sweeping statements here about homeless people. They are not all drug addicts and even if some are they are still human beings. Save your disdain for the drug dealers. Also, charities are likely to say give the money to them and most of that money is then wasted on admin costs and little gets to the man in the street. You can either give someone money or say no. It's not hard to simply say 'I'm sorry I don't have any on me.'

aitch Sat 22-Jul-17 12:46:00

There has been a female Big Issue seller wearing long, eastern looking clothes outside my local sainsburys for over six years. she is often plying her magazines from the bench she is sitting on - I was given to understand that one of the stipulations of being allowed to sell these was that the seller should be standing? During "slack" periods she spends a lot of time on a very expensive looking phone just calling out "Big Issue please lady/sir" barely breaking off her phone conversation!!

GrandmaMoira Sat 22-Jul-17 12:56:31

I don't have a problem with beggars sitting in the street asking for money as you can donate or not as you choose, even those approaching you walking down the road are not too bad. However, those who harangue you on a train when you can't move away are intimidating. I also find it offensive seeing beggars in a hospital.

Day6 Sat 22-Jul-17 13:47:22

I too give directly to local charities which will aid the homeless, rather than to beggars. Sadly it is true that so many use their benefits and the cash they beg for to feed their drug or alcohol habit. I feel ever so awkward when I refuse a beggar or walk on by. It does prick the conscience. I used to buy sandwiches and drinks but was sworn at once when I offered a beggar a McDonald's meal. He was so disparaging and aggressive that now I just don't approach. I find many beggars to be slightly intimidating.

In a big town nearby where I used to work, two beggars had a scam going.

They'd sit themselves down right next to the pay machines in the car park, where people would have their purses out. They' be two feet away, looking directly at the person feeding the machine and ask them more 'spare change'. I noticed they moved around car parks but always sat right where people would have to be fumbling in their bags etc. So many flustered people handed over cash and scurried off, me included.

One day I turned from the machine to go to my car and saw one of these beggars getting out of a car, changing his trainers and hurriedly finishing off a sandwich, then he got his blanket and money box and made his way to the machine. He glared at me, because I'd obviously sussed out his scam. He puts on puppy dog eyes and a pleading voice once he's plonked himself down by the machines. Here he was, striding across the car park looking very aggressive.

I believe many people complained about the car park scam. Those two did vanish and were in court I believe.

It's a strange world.

durhamjen Sat 22-Jul-17 13:49:32

speye.wordpress.com/2017/07/22/why-has-homeless-children-increased-37/

Not just the single who are homeless, either.

durhamjen Sat 22-Jul-17 13:51:13

"I believe...I believe..."

So you dson't know, then, Day6.

Day6 Sat 22-Jul-17 13:54:47

One of my work colleagues read something in the local paper. I didn't. So it's hearsay.

That OK with you DJ????

Day6 Sat 22-Jul-17 13:57:29

Why was that snidey comment necessary DJ? I am almost becoming wary of posting on GN because of things like this, being picked to pieces for joining in the conversation. shock

WHY?????

durhamjen Sat 22-Jul-17 14:06:39

But I don't like innuendo and there is a lot of that on this thread, including that comment.

I believe that at least twice very rich students have burnt fifty pound notes in front of homeless people.

durhamjen Sat 22-Jul-17 14:08:34

I'd like to read comments on the fact that the number of homeless children has increased by 37%.
As I said, not all homeless are single.

Day6 Sat 22-Jul-17 14:12:56

Valentine - A lot of sweeping statements here about homeless people. They are not all drug addicts and even if some are they are still human beings.

I agree valentine BUT, we are still human beings too. It has to be said that many beggars are intimidating, in-yer-face, aggressive, demanding etcs, as has been mentioned here. Some, not all.

Is it fair that people going about their business have to encounter this?

If football fans did this to members of the public, intimidated them in any way, there'd be outrage and police action. If a beggar does it it's OK?

It's not.

EVERYONE, including all the GNs who've mentioned they find it frightening have rights no matter what their income or circumstances.

Day6 Sat 22-Jul-17 14:19:15

DJ - But I don't like innuendo and there is a lot of that on this thread, including that comment.

If your sensibilities are offended then our accounts are unacceptable?

No, I am not buying it DJ.

There was no innuendo whatsoever in that comment. I merely reported something told to me. If the problem of intimidation WAS dealt with in court, what's your problem?

You have a go at people you don't like, me included, and it's bloody obvious. angry

rosesarered Sat 22-Jul-17 14:19:44

Hear hear Day6

rosesarered Sat 22-Jul-17 14:22:18

There has been no innuendo in any posts.Just posters recounting their experiences, if you don't like this djen you don't have to comment on the thread.

Ana Sat 22-Jul-17 14:22:38

This thread is about direct begging, durhamjen. Start your own about homelessness if you wish.

durhamjen Sat 22-Jul-17 14:24:34

There have been a lot of derogatory comments on here about Big Issue vendors.
Here are a few facts about Big Issue vendors.

www.bigissue.com/news/

durhamjen Sat 22-Jul-17 14:26:34

John Bird asking about poverty prevention in the House of Lords.

www.bigissue.com/tag/poverty-prevention/

Day6 Sat 22-Jul-17 14:36:21

DJ, the way you took exception to a perfectly innocent comment is here for all to see.

Bluff, bluster, changing the subject, quickly posting more links...You've been exposed.

You portray yourself as a person who cares yet you frequently want everything your way on threads.

Open discussion and agreeing to disagree is preferable to your frequent censorious derision of people who challenge you.

Elegran Sat 22-Jul-17 15:18:02

dj People state factually that they have felt intimidated by people asking for money and believe that they are better off than they claim.

They also say that they have seen Big Issue sellers dropped at their pitch from expensive cars. That is not innuendo, it is what they have witnessed. We all know that the Big Issue organisation have rules - but we also may suspect that there are unscrupulous people around who would take advantage of a large complex organisation. Possibly not he actual sellers but their "managers".

What very rich and very stupid students do has nothing to do with it.

Chewbacca Sat 22-Jul-17 15:35:24

I have no problem with donating to food banks or registered charities. But I do have a problem when the same Big Issue seller has stood in the same place, for several years, every weekend and then climbs into a large Mercedes at the end of the day. And I'm apparently not the only person who has witnessed the same thing, judging by the number of reports on this topic. The Big Issue itself recognises that some of their ex vendors, and rogue sellers have and do abuse their system but their is very little that they can do about it except that you request to see their registration badge. So for anyone to deny that this happens is ridiculous.

Chewbacca Sat 22-Jul-17 15:39:05

Good post Day6.