Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Direct approach begging

(106 Posts)
Imperfect27 Fri 21-Jul-17 13:22:31

I know live a pretty sheltered life. I seldom encounter homeless people unless I visit a nearby city, but then I do respond and I always give something to street collections too.
Last night I met a best friend for a meal out. We elected to sit outside as it was such a mild evening and the terrace was on the high street. We were the only ones sitting there when a man came up to us and handed us a flier. He didn't speak initially and I just thought he was advertising something local - there was a street theatre production unfolding in front of us at the time too. However the flier - which was badly printed - explained that he and his family are financially in need of support. It also depicted two girls.
I think I went through a whole range of emotions - surprise, discomfort (embarrassment?) guilt, confusion ... as it gradually dawned that he was directly asking for money. Like me, I could tell my friend felt vey uncomfortable. We both gave him some coins and my friend tried to engage him in conversation to say he needed to seek financial assistance from the local authority. He said "I only speak French!" in a way that simply closed down conversation and he seemed angry. He looked 'foreign' - it went through my racing mind that he might be an illegal immigrant. Once we had handed over the money, he also indicated that he wanted the fliers back. I doubted if he was 'genuine' as did my friend, but we felt we had given him the benefit of the doubt. We saw him stopping people up and down the high street several times over the rest of the evening.
I just felt so taken aback and, to be honest, quite intimidated at the time.
Anyone else had this type of experience?

petra Sat 22-Jul-17 21:07:32

durhamjen
I will look through my photos to see if I can find some with the very expensive English registered 4x4 Mercedes, Audis, etc parked outside the hideous house.
The gangmaster drove a Mercedes Maybach. You couldn't buy one today for under £177,000.
But you carry on believing what you do, but believe me, they are laughing at everyone who buys the Big Issue.

durhamjen Sat 22-Jul-17 21:13:44

Do what you want, petra. I really do not care what you think.
The Big Issue is a very good idea, giving people a small income and some pride in their ability to start fending for themselves again.
Showing me a photo of an expensive car outside what you consider to be a hideous house, says more about you than about the Big Issue sellers. Quite sad, really, that you think you need to do that.

Lorelei Tue 25-Jul-17 17:15:21

Aside from all the serious issues around genuine homelessness and street begging etc - if this guy could afford to have flyers printed perhaps he should've got food with that money instead!

durhamjen Tue 25-Jul-17 17:18:47

Two badly printed fliers that he wanted back?

Spangles1963 Thu 27-Jul-17 20:30:16

I've experienced this a few times at a coffee shop that I frequent. A woman comes in and goes to every table asking for money. I won't give anything to her on principle,because she is rude and abusive if you refuse. I also witnessed her kicking off on a bus because a disabled person on crutches couldn't get past her enormous holdall in the gangway. She started shrieking at him,calling him a 'fucking stupid cripple'. No one pulled her up on it, I suspect because she's homeless. But being homeless doesn't give you the right to be obnoxious to other people.