Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Can anyone throw any light on this?

(43 Posts)
Greyduster Fri 28-Jul-17 14:23:45

A strange thing happened this afternoon. DH was scrolling through the photo gallery on his android phone and the last one there was a picture of a young man in a car. He said "who on earth is that?" And neither of us knew. The last time he used his phone to take a picture was one of GS and I which he took in our house. To be perfectly honest I am spooked since the man in the picture didn't appear to be a type we would go out of our way to make the acquaintance of! He has deleted it, but is worrying now about where it could have come from. Any ideas?

rosesarered Sat 29-Jul-17 15:18:09

Sounds like the problem that Primrose has just highlighted.

Greyduster Sat 29-Jul-17 17:05:55

Thank you for all your responses and theories - as Harrigran says, it is puzzling. I asked my SiL who is very tech savvy whether he had any ideas, and he came up with the Bluetooth theory too, but even he wasn't absolutely sure.

fiorentina51 Sat 29-Jul-17 17:27:24

When I get sent any photos via Bluetooth, I always get a message asking me whether I accept or deny them. Also, when pairing up with a nearby device I get a message naming the device and asking permission...or something like that.

gillybob Sat 29-Jul-17 17:34:02

Sounds exactly what I described earlier happened to my sister at a concert primrose she deleted the photos just as soon as we'd had a good look at them.

Primrose65 Sat 29-Jul-17 22:15:53

grin

HazelGreen Sun 30-Jul-17 10:40:57

Best to disable Bluetooth until need to have it on. Apparently it gobbles up battery life.

DeeWBW Sun 30-Jul-17 12:36:07

The other day, I read on the internet that could can actually take a phot on your mobile phone by pressing the volume button on the side of the phone. It seems it's a lot easier for people who take selfies. Maybe that's what happened.

Diddy1 Sun 30-Jul-17 13:49:12

Nothing to do with this thread, I just want to know how much one can store on a computer, such as documents, is there a limit to KB whatever they are, I am currently writing a book and save evrything, but what happens if the document file gets full? anyone have ideas? Thank you for any help you can give.

Primrose65 Sun 30-Jul-17 14:03:29

That will depend on the storage available on your computer Diddy1. Documents do not take up much storage at all, you've probably got room for War and Peace grin

Grannyknot Sun 30-Jul-17 15:36:02

diddy1 buy an external hard drive, and save a copy on that - you should be backing up your files any way:

www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Sellers-Computers-Accessories-External-Hard-Drives/zgbs/computers/430544031?tag=gransnetforum-21

valeriej43 Sun 30-Jul-17 17:51:39

Always make sure your bluetooth is off
I had a strange voicemail on mine a couple of years ago, it said hello____[_my name] this is Alfie
I dont know anyone called Alfie at all
The only thing i can think of,is i was on the bus and a man started talking to me,and actually invited me for a cup of tea,he got off the bus same stop as me,
All i can think is his bluetooth on his phone picked my name and no up from my phone
After enquiring at a phone shop i was told this could happen,
Scary really shock

Ginny42 Sun 30-Jul-17 18:06:07

Grannyknot is right Diddy. I always tell my students work needs to be saved in at least two places. It certainly helped the student who left his dissertation on the bar in the pub and didn't get it back!

To the OP. I would be spooked out too. Thankfully I'll know not to panic if it happens to me.

Greyduster Sun 30-Jul-17 20:56:37

We have had our SGS's here this afternoon and the general consensus of opinion is that, as some of you have said, DH should turn off his Bluetooth, as this is the most likely explanation although none of them seemed to know why he didn't have a request to accept or decline the photo.

maddy629 Mon 31-Jul-17 06:34:33

I'm with Primrose65 delete and don't worry about it.

angie95 Mon 31-Jul-17 09:22:33

Maybe he was taking a photo of something else and clicked by accident x

blueskies Mon 31-Jul-17 10:02:43

Am I an old cynic? Do you trust your husband. Why was he in such a hurry to delete the photo. Wasn't he curious?

Greyduster Mon 31-Jul-17 10:25:22

blueskies thanks for the thought, but we have been married for fifty years, are rarely out of each other's company, and, bless him, he is a man with very little imagination who could not tell a lie to save his life! He deleted it because after he had showed it to me, and I panicked and he thought it was the best thing to do.