Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Under arm shaving!

(29 Posts)
grannysue05 Sat 29-Jul-17 10:17:24

Just been getting ready for my holiday and have shaved my legs with a razor as I always do. I like the clean, smooth feel winter and summer.
But with trips to the beach in mind, I shaved under arms too. Don't usually do this. My arms have 'gone' so I always wear a sleeve even in summer.
Just wondered what everybody else does with this area of grooming?

gillybob Sat 29-Jul-17 10:20:45

I always shave my legs and underarms grannysue and epilate my "bits" ( not all of it just the scraggy bits) oh dear what a picture. blush

GrandmaMoira Sat 29-Jul-17 10:32:25

One effect of age for me is that I no longer have under arm hair. I have less hair elsewhere as well, just more on the chin!

LadyGracie Sat 29-Jul-17 10:41:58

And me GrandmaMoira less underarm and other body hair, but I would sport a fetching tash and beard if I didn't 'have it seen to'

henetha Sat 29-Jul-17 10:53:00

Same here, GrandmaMoira. I'm shaving different bits of me these days.

ninathenana Sat 29-Jul-17 11:02:44

Haven't needed to attack legs or underarms for years, not a hair in sight.
Face is a different matter.

shysal Sat 29-Jul-17 11:05:01

I have shaved my underarms every day for the last 55 years, it is just part of my morning routine. When I injured my shoulder a year or so ago I couldn't lift the arm to shave that side and wondered whether I would find that my armpits didn't actually need shaving any more. However, alas, that one grew just as bushy as the rest of me. Unfortunately I find that legs and pubes are still as hairy and dark as ever. I shave the bottom half of my legs every day in the summer and only on exercise class days in the winter. I have no partner to see the rest! I whizz my moustache and chin every day too. This doesn't catch the coarse hairs, so they are plucked every few days with the aid of a bright light and magnifying mirror. What a palaver!

Luckygirl Sat 29-Jul-17 11:20:10

What a palaver indeed! I used an electric epilator on my legs and after about a year the hairs threw in the towel and admitted defeat. Since I always wear trousers now, it matters not one bit anyway. I never shaved my underarms very often - but now nothing grows there, so that is good. As to the attention to the pubes - I leave them be (and always have) and let them live their lives in peace. grin

grannysue05 Sat 29-Jul-17 11:29:49

Just put deodorant on said area and it stings like mad.
Oh what we do for vanity!grin

Katek Sat 29-Jul-17 11:37:35

Just attacked underarms two days ago and have been itchy ever since! Resorted to dh's manly smelling after shave balm this morning. Memo to self-buy new razors!

DanniRae Sat 29-Jul-17 11:44:21

I bought a mirror to take on holiday to keep facial hair in check. However, I didn't realise that it was normal one side and 10 x magnifying on the other!! What a horrible shock seeing my poor face magnified so much - it looked awful. Great for seeing all the stray whiskers, shame about all the HUGE pores etc shock

tanith Sat 29-Jul-17 12:13:05

Do underarms and legs every other day not much hair under my arms anymore though no such luck with the legs.

hildajenniJ Sat 29-Jul-17 13:21:12

I only ever shave my underarms if I want to wear anything sleeveless, or when I go on holiday. The rest of the time I don't. As for my legs, they've never been hairy. Only very fine hair along my shin bone, so I don't shave them either.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 29-Jul-17 13:29:38

I very rarely shave my underarms and don't wear sleeveless clothes. If I'm swimming anyone who is offended (why?) shouldn't look. I do have hairy legs, and always have had, but almost always wear trousers. Life is too short to shave. grin

BBbevan Sat 29-Jul-17 13:38:47

I do underarms and legs regularly. Bikini area if going swimming.

Deedaa Sat 29-Jul-17 19:05:57

I find I don't have much underarm hair nowadays. Just as well as my frozen shoulder makes one side very difficult to get at. Legs still need doing fairly often. Last time I went to the doctor he asked if something had bitten my ankle. I told him I'd just cut myself shaving and he gave me a very odd look. Perhaps he thinks elderly ladies don't mind hairy legs?

annodomini Sat 29-Jul-17 19:14:26

My armpit hair disappeared when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism; my eyebrows became a bit sparse and I don't have enough hair on my legs to justify waxing. My hair has always been fine but is now also quite thin, though my hairdresser usually manages to style it to look thicker than it is.

PamelaJ1 Sat 29-Jul-17 19:38:58

Wax is the way to go. I find I only have to do it about 4 times a year now.

Bobbysgirl19 Sat 29-Jul-17 22:05:40

I use a cream hair remover in the shower on armpits and legs. Stopped shaving them as used to cut myself! ?

goldengirl Sun 30-Jul-17 11:01:47

I've shaved under my arms from my teens - my mum was a dancer and encouraged it - and have also done my legs too. It's become a habit and one I'm not intending to change. It doesn't take long after all. I've tried creams but don't get on with them.

Chewbacca Sun 30-Jul-17 11:13:36

Very little in my armpits these days. Legs need sorting out only rarely. The "other bits" are a different matter though and need attention regularly. I'll never use a cream there again though. Once was quite enough and I'm still getting over the agony!

Willow500 Sun 30-Jul-17 17:11:26

I've never had much body hair but do shave my legs and underarms on a regular basis - legs usually when I'm using a body scrub for false tanning. I too rarely wear anything sleeveless. I bought a no no for my upper lip and other facial hair but sometimes use an epilator for that - ouch ouch ouch!!

farview Sun 30-Jul-17 18:50:23

For the last year or so..only need to shave under right arm...left is bald ?

farview Sun 30-Jul-17 18:50:52

For the last year or so..only need to shave under right arm...left is bald ?

Nanabilly Sun 30-Jul-17 19:10:39

I shave legs and underarms regularly and bikini area during summer in case I go on a beach or swimming but winter months I adopt the gorilla state down there though the gorilla is slowly balding nowadays.
I always wash with a tea tree shower gel after shaving to prevent any soreness afterwards. I
As others my tash and beard area need attention too nowadays . I pluck or use some facial hair removal cream ..veet I think no it's called but don't like the smell of the feeling once done . I find waxing too expensive ..at least salon prices are , not tried homes waxing.
Has anyone tried a nono?