Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Sort of time of life incontinence?

(50 Posts)
Smurf52 Wed 02-Aug-17 10:35:51

I am 65 and for a couple of years now i have had an annoying dribble each time after i have had a pee. I try sitting on the toilet for a few minutes post pee to expel everything. Despite this, when i get up a dribble works its way down my leg. I have no other issues i.e. stress incontinence but still wear the discreet panty liners because of this. Anyone else get this?

shysal Wed 02-Aug-17 11:07:19

I sometimes get this, so stand up straight after wiping and wait with paper poised for the extra dribble. No fun getting older is it? smile

Welshwife Wed 02-Aug-17 11:13:11

I sit a bit longer and sort of rick to and fro and that seems to work. - I wonder if we get little kinks in the pipe work which causes it.

JackyB Wed 02-Aug-17 11:16:15

There was a thread on this recently which recommended standing up and waiting 20-30 seconds and then sitting down and "doing" the rest. Everyone who tried it said it worked.

Having children really does muck your plumbing up. If you need a catheter at any time, heaven help you.

TriciaF Wed 02-Aug-17 11:43:24

I have the return of a hernia down there ( groin) and I think it sometimes blocks the flow. I found if I press down on that area - just above the pubic bone - it starts the flow again.
Maybe try doing that to squeeze out the last drops.
My doctor says it's best not to go for another hernia repair at my age, unless it's urgent.

Smurf52 Wed 02-Aug-17 12:01:37

Thanks all will try your suggestions on this delicate matter.
TriviaF - i will find this difficult as i have a flabby overhanging tummy lol

Smurf52 Wed 02-Aug-17 12:02:33

Damn predictive text...TriciaF that should read.

Oriel Wed 02-Aug-17 12:48:01

Oh I'm glad it's not just me!!

I'm OK during the day, unless I'm in a real hurry but at night I employ the 'hold paper in situ post pee' technique. blush

Anya Wed 02-Aug-17 12:54:21

Oh dear. Is this what I have to look forward to? ?

GrandmaMoira Wed 02-Aug-17 13:01:12

I have the same, but I also have mild stress and urge incontinence. Prolapse surgery improved things but not 100%. I always thought it was the very elderly frail in nursing homes that had this problem, not 60s newly retired. Luckily I hit pension age at 62, I couldn't have worked to 66 with these issues.

Moneyboss Wed 02-Aug-17 14:27:43

So glad it's not just me. I've had the same think for the last 12 months. Guess it's something we have to learn to live with. I've found holding the paper under a bit longer helps to catch those sneaky drips.

Penstemmon Wed 02-Aug-17 14:31:21

You can improve these irritating aging issues with exercise. A good physio will help you. wink

Nanabilly Wed 02-Aug-17 14:42:09

One of my old work friends had this and she was referred to a clinic at the local hospital and they told her to rock back and fore after peeing and if this did not work to put her hands under\on her belly right near the pubes and press slightly to expel any last bits.

Anya Wed 02-Aug-17 14:42:20

You can practise Kegal Exercises at home.

Another way is to regularly practise stopping your urine flow in mid-stream.

I read a post once on GN which was referring to that and she posted 'I thought you were supposed to make sure you completely emptied your bladder' hmm so I'd better point out that after stopping mid-flow you then should continue to wee until you are completely empty - it doesn't mean to stop mid-flow and leave your bladder half full.

Smurf52 Wed 02-Aug-17 15:08:58

Great to see I'm not the only sufferer! I have IBS so spend too much time in the bathroom as it is...might as well take my bed in their lol.

westieyaya Thu 03-Aug-17 10:17:45

Really annoying this one, how did our grandmothers manage. I suffer from arthritis and am very stiff when I wake in the mornings. Getting myself upright and to the loo before my bladder starts emptying is a nightmare!! I also have minor problems in daytime but discreet pads are fine for that but totally useless first thing in the morning. I guess our grannies had a convenient potty under the bed. Going on family holiday next week, sharing a bathroom in rented house, so I've bought mega pants - why is it you always meet someone when they're in your supermarket trolley!!

HootyMcOwlface Thu 03-Aug-17 10:20:39

I could never stop my flow mid stream, once I've started that's it. I thought I'd read somewhere (not all that long ago) that it is not recommended doing that now? I only remember because I thought "good, I could never do it anyway"!

Lazigirl Thu 03-Aug-17 10:31:24

It's only recommended to stop mid flow occasionally to check how strong pelvic floor muscles are. If you can't stop then you can improve muscle tone by pelvic floor (kegel) exercises. Everything gets slacker with age. Lol.

marionk Thu 03-Aug-17 10:45:00

They gave me some topical HRT for just this problem, and a referral to the pelvic floor clinic ( don't think it's actually called that ?). I am mostly ok now unless I forget the meds for too long

Marianne1953 Thu 03-Aug-17 10:48:05

I've got an electronic pelvic floor exerciser and it does the job, I never have to wear pads and it doesn't have to be used daily. ( may do at first to get the muscles tightened up. It's called I touch sure.

Jane43 Thu 03-Aug-17 10:55:24

I had a 9lb 4oz boy followed by a 10lb 4oz boy. Everything was fine until after the menopause and coming off HRT. Lots of heavy work in the garden and lifting grandchildren resulted in stress incontinence and a prolapse (I didn't know you weren't supposed to do heavy lifting until it was too late). I had a pessary fitted which caused infection so I had to have antibiotics to clear it up. I was referred to a consultant who said I would probably have to have a hysterectomy. Fate intervened, we moved house and I was allocated to a wonderful female GP who gave me a long appointment, listened to my concerns that the pessary could be too big, therefore rubbing against me internally and causing the infection. She agreed that the pessary was probably too big, ordered several sizes of pessary and found one that fitted perfectly. Two years on I just have it changed every six months, apply an oestrogen tablet internally every month and touch wood everything is fine.

When I had my boys, 51 and 49 years ago, we weren't advised to do exercises. Is it too late to start doing the exercises now I have the problem?

Jinty44 Thu 03-Aug-17 11:00:02

I raised it with my GP and was referred to a physio. I would recommend this route to anyone, it has made a huge difference to me. I had tried doing exercises I found in magazines/internet, but they just didn't compare to what the physio taught me.

Riversidegirl Thu 03-Aug-17 11:03:31

Not sure if this is plumbing, but 40-odd years ago I had a bad episiotomy. Occasionally, especially during hot weather (!) I still get sore! Obviously I have developed ways of dealing with this, but is it just me???

keriku Thu 03-Aug-17 11:22:50

I had prolapse surgery when I was about 40. Currently awaiting results of tests as a lot of the symptoms have reappeared! Horrible! We were planning to go to the Edinburgh Fringe tonight, but I don't think I can leave the house.

Maggiemaybe Thu 03-Aug-17 11:25:32

I remember a colleague of mine, ten years older than me, describing all this and saying she was going for surgery as she was "drip, drip, dripping" round the school corridors. She said it'd be blamed on the infants. smile