Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Baby changing

(13 Posts)
jackygawne Mon 14-Aug-17 16:18:10

I frequently have to change my 4mth old grandaughter in public places and often find the facilities on offer leave a great deal to be desired. What do other grans do when there is no allocated baby changing facility?

harrigran Mon 14-Aug-17 16:23:53

Back seat of the car, picnic rug on the grass, on my knee. You name it I have done it.

Alima Mon 14-Aug-17 16:32:17

I don't think there were many baby changing facilities around, if any, when my eldest was born 40 years ago. (If you are ever near a Mothercare branch they always have baby changing /feeding facilities, generally upstairs).

ginny Mon 14-Aug-17 17:25:20

Haven't had many problems but if I have to I do it on my lap as I did with my 3 DDs. They think I am amazing to be able to do it. Easy when you were used to fabric nappies, pins and plastic pants ! Modern nappies are a breeze.

goldengirl Mon 14-Aug-17 17:50:51

If you're not happy with the facilities when you find them - write a letter or email to the owner eg council, motorway services HQ, shopping centre. We shouldn't have to change our GC on a floor, in a car or anywhere else that can put our back out!!!

SueDonim Mon 14-Aug-17 18:24:05

Are you in the U.K.? I've been very impressed with the facilities available for my British-based grandchildren. Almost all bigger shops and supermarkets have baby changing rooms and tourist-type places have improved immensely, too.

It's not so good in the US, where two of my GC live. It can be difficult to find a loo, let alone a baby changing facility, even in larger stores.

Marydoll Mon 14-Aug-17 22:38:41

We were recently on a trip to the coast and couldn't find any suitable baby changing facilities, so we had to change DGD in the boot of the car, as I couldn't manage changing her in the back seat. She couldn't stop giggling.

Lilibet57 Thu 24-Aug-17 20:09:40

My daughter was caught short when my grandson was 4 months old and had a really pooey wet nappy whilst out shopping so she just lifted the boot lid to reveal a changing mat and some baby wipes and nappy bags ! She lay him on the mat in the boot and sorted him out, I said how did you know that would happen and she said, mum it was always a possibility so I was prepared. Typical Lawyer

Jalima1108 Thu 24-Aug-17 20:11:22

The Dc were changed anywhere and everywhere.
That was in the days of terry nappies!
Have mothers lost the art of lying a baby across their lap and changing them?

Cherrytree59 Thu 24-Aug-17 20:20:36

If shopping then usually head for Mothercare.
I would rather change a Nappy in the car than risk going somewhere that's not hygienic.

Jalima1108 Thu 24-Aug-17 20:21:57

but nappies aren't very hygienic hmm

JackyB Thu 24-Aug-17 20:48:35

My mother learnt to change a baby on her lap, but lengthwise, head to her knees, feet to her tummy. I never got the knack.

gmelon Fri 25-Aug-17 02:29:45

I've changed nappies many a time in the pushchair.
Once you get the knack it is easy. Especially with the reclining ones.
If you have a car which everyone assumes you do but you have not mentioned then back seat is good.