Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Help please. Smell in cupboard.

(20 Posts)
Blinko Sat 02-Sep-17 07:02:54

Phizz, aren't they always ' trying to help'? [Hmm]

phizz Fri 01-Sep-17 22:11:56

Please don't be too cross with your poor husband. At least he was trying to help.

Auntieflo Fri 01-Sep-17 21:31:58

Unused I hope Midgey ?

midgey Fri 01-Sep-17 21:25:40

Cat litter is also useful for smells.

charliebb Fri 01-Sep-17 19:39:54

Bicarbonate of soda works a treat getting rid of strong food smells in the fridge. Teaspoonful in a little pot. It might work for you, hope so!

Sheilasue Fri 01-Sep-17 16:36:26

Hope he moved the tomatoes before he sprayed.

clareken Fri 01-Sep-17 13:33:11

Soda crystals are good for a hot (empty) wash in the washing machine

sarahellenwhitney Fri 01-Sep-17 13:01:32

Advice from my plumber concerning lime scale ,scum, hair and grease that will cause smelly and blocked drains is good old fashioned soda crystals washed down with boiling water .He claims to have seen pipes ruined by constant use of commercial drain un blockers.
I also use a solution made up of these crystals to wipe over my slate tiled kitchen floor and a weaker solution to clean my fridge. Cheaper than commercial products and
leaves no overpowering scent.

Rosieroe Fri 01-Sep-17 12:28:56

Welshwife that sounds awful. We had a small under the counter freezer that we washed out and left out in the garage, empty, when the kitchen was refurbished. The musty smell in it was bad enough, when we next opened it - but the thought of rotting meat. ?

My thoughts are turning to people who have their homes affected by flood damage and how they cope with everything. My cupboard smells are insignificant in comparison.

Rosieroe Fri 01-Sep-17 12:09:01

Thanks everyone. I've washed out first with detergent, then with white vinegar solution, then with bicarbonate solution. Left overnight with saucer of bicarbonate on each shelf plus half an orange (I didn't have lemons but will be buying some today). I could actually 'taste' that scent in my coffee after having my head stuck on the cupboard for so long. I'm still aware of a faint perfumed odour and will repeat the overnight saucers again tonight, but with lemons. I hate sprays - I think the rise in asthmatic children has a lot to do with people spraying airfreshners in their homes - but we had some 'neutralising' ones in the cupboard that we used for the dog bed. I hate them even more now! After putting all the glasses through the dishwasher to get rid of the taint I found that OH, up before me, had emptied the dishwasher and had replaced them all in the smelly cupboard.

jacqui67 Fri 01-Sep-17 10:35:40

Bicarb white vinegar and lemon juice in bowl of warm water and just wipe down. Good luck

Nelliemoser Thu 31-Aug-17 22:57:16

Bicarb is about the best thing going to remove smells. You don't need fancy sprays.

Nelliemoser Thu 31-Aug-17 22:54:56

Get a more sensible husband?
My hubby did that with an old piece of fabric he was using for something or other.
We then had this piece of fabric smelling musty and perfumed.

Norah Thu 31-Aug-17 17:34:29

I spill whole cloves to the back of cupboards to keep smells and ants away.

glammanana Thu 31-Aug-17 13:15:04

Bicarb would seem to be the way to go,I have gotten into the habit of cleaning my cuoboards every 3 months with bicarb and at the same time check on any dates on tinned/packet items just in case there have been any leakages.

Welshwife Thu 31-Aug-17 10:22:50

Did the glasses wash clean easily? Sometimes I have found that if room spray gets onto anything it is difficult to remove.
Mind you I doubt the smell was as bad as when we came home from two weeks away and the electricity had failed and we had a fridge /freezer and a chest freezer with meat etc in! Despite being cleaned and cleaned with all things mentioned on this thread they both had to be replaced because of the residual smell!

Rosieroe Thu 31-Aug-17 10:04:12

Thank you Aggie and LadyGracie. I'll get busy with the baking soda and leave a lemon in overnight.

LadyGracie Thu 31-Aug-17 09:51:13

Bicarbonate of soda soaks up/clears smells

aggie Thu 31-Aug-17 09:49:07

slice a lemon and put in a bowl of hot water , leave in the cupboard till cold . If that doesn't work wash down with baking soda and warm water

Rosieroe Thu 31-Aug-17 09:46:00

Honestly! I'm so cross about this, but there's no point in shouting about it after the deed and he now realizes that it was a stupid thing to have done.

My OH decided that he could smell something like 'eggs or cheese' in the glassware cupboard in our quite new kitchen. I couldn't smell anything and said it might be from the large bowl of tomatoes from our neighbour which was sitting on the counter directly below. I then went out for an hour and when I got home I walked into the kitchen and asked what he had been spraying as I could smell a strong floral scent. Well! He had sprayed air freshener into the cupboard!! It stank of air freshener. All the glasses stank of air freshener. These have been washed and are fine now, but I can't put them back into the cupboard. I have washed it out with detergent and then washed it with a white vinegar/water solution. If this doesn't work can anyone please suggest something more effective.