Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Wall mounted TV!

(36 Posts)
kittylester Tue 05-Sep-17 18:56:43

I've thrown my toys out of the pram and decided that I want a TV that I can watch in the kitchen rather than the tucked away one I currently watch.

Any dos and donts? I'm usually in the kitchen but we sit around in there quite a lot.

Magrithea Wed 06-Sep-17 22:24:27

I have my kitchen TV on a small trolley so I can move it around to watch wherever I am - cooking or ironing being the main activities when I watch the TV!

Ellie Anne Wed 06-Sep-17 20:02:56

I don't have a tv in the kitchen but watch pointless on my i pad while cooking.

ggmarion Wed 06-Sep-17 15:21:46

Would just like to say the height of the TV is important. My GS has one wall mounted and I get a crick in my neck looking up to it. I often knit and watch TV so it has to be at eye level.

Nelliemaggs Wed 06-Sep-17 14:59:53

If I didn't have a small TV on top of the fridge in the kitchen I would hardly ever see TV.

kittylester Wed 06-Sep-17 14:58:15

That's the reason I want a better one in the kitchen paddyann so I can watch while I cook or watch while we eat if it's something like the cricket.

We never allowed the children to have their own and I'm glad to say they don't allow their children ro have one.

I like watching TV as it's part of popular culture and I like to be aware of what's going on. We have one in our bedroom, the 'playroom' and the kitchen as well as the lounge.

paddyann Wed 06-Sep-17 14:28:08

we've always only had one TV in our living room,no bedroom ones or kitchen ones,my GC would love a TV in their room when they stay but its not going to happen,they can read or play with something until they're ready to sleep .When I'm in the kitchen I'm usually cooking so TV wouldn't work for me

HazelGreen Wed 06-Sep-17 14:08:52

We have reduced tv's to two, having gotten rid of bedroom and kitchen one. I have a tablet that I find handier to watch TV on while doing chores in kitchen. I can even put in headphones wirefree to listen better over cooking noises. I watch little live tv so it is usually iplayer, netflix or skybox that can be accessed from tablet device.

123kitty Wed 06-Sep-17 13:07:35

1 set in tv room's more than enough for me

JaneD3 Wed 06-Sep-17 12:54:22

Ailsa 43 I think you need a hammer drill.

Auntieflo Wed 06-Sep-17 12:50:58

6 large TV's shock!!

Nona4ever Wed 06-Sep-17 11:34:16

We've recently moved and inherited 6 large wall-mounted TVs. Overkill? Probably but we've not yet seen one working as Sky need to set them up. So - Radio 4, reading, cards and talking to each other are all filling the gap nicely.

devongirl Wed 06-Sep-17 11:31:03

moocow I had been thinking of mounting my TV on the party wall with my neighbour - great point, just in time! rethink called for...

Oldwoman70 Wed 06-Sep-17 11:00:09

I have a small TV in the kitchen. It is on one of those "arms" which attach to the wall (don 't remember what they are called - senior moment!). I only watch it occasionally, usually while eating a meal - now I am on my own I miss the conversations DH and I used to have and the TV is company.

Nannarose Wed 06-Sep-17 10:38:37

Iam64: I do exactly the same!

Madmartha Wed 06-Sep-17 10:26:10

We bought ours from John Lewis on a special offer and their guys installed it - did a super job too

kittylester Wed 06-Sep-17 10:19:27

Do like that idea Phoenix but i don't think it would be bigger than the one we've got.

Kim19 Wed 06-Sep-17 10:17:58

I'm with LadyGracie on this wall mounted is so versatile and (obviously!) keeps surfaces clear.

kittylester Wed 06-Sep-17 10:17:34

Not sure what you mean Phoenix, I'll look!!

mernice Wed 06-Sep-17 10:07:18

I use my iPad for tv in kitchen. Don't like to see dark screens on wall when not in use. You just pop your iPad wherever it's best. I watch Pointless preparing food and I pad on table for news whilst we eat.

phoenix Wed 06-Sep-17 09:54:22

So you don't fancy one of those fold away ones, kitty?

harrigran Wed 06-Sep-17 08:24:57

Wall brackets are a good idea for holding TV, it lifts it away from all the kitchen equipment.
I don't have a kitchen TV, only watch pre-recorded programmes at a time that suits me. DS has a wall mounted one but I think it is a dust and grease magnet, perhaps in a larger kitchen it would not be a problem.

kittylester Wed 06-Sep-17 06:49:49

Sorry phoenix.

The current TV is quite small and on a shelf that is quite deep and has sides so difficult to see from all round.

The wall it is going on has next door's wet room behind it.

The position will be part way along the current route of the aerial with a plug immediately below.

Norah Wed 06-Sep-17 00:14:50

Ailsa43, Special drill bit for bricks, concrete, slate.

NanaMacGeek Wed 06-Sep-17 00:08:47

I have a small wall mounted white Samsung TV in my kitchen and wouldn't be without it. I have a kitchen island that I can sit at and prepare food while watching the TV (or listening to the radio on the TV) and, if eating alone, I can watch the kitchen TV too. I sometimes move my Roku (turns a TV into a smart one) from the living room TV to the kitchen and catch up or watch Netflix.

Only 'don'ts' I can think of are don't site it where you are likely to stand pots and pans in front of it and keep it far away from working and washing up areas, otherwise hot gravy splashes are quite hard to wipe off the softer screens!

Also, you will need power points and consider how you are going to get an aerial to it, otherwise you will have to consider other streaming solutions.

Ailsa43 Wed 06-Sep-17 00:01:43

Talking of Wall mounted TV's I'd love to have one on the wall... not a party wall, my house is detached..but the walls are made of solid brick, really hard brick where it's extremely difficult to even hammer a nail in.. Can anyone tell me an easy way to drill brackets into a hard solid brick wall so I can have the TV on it