Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

So what makes you laugh out loud?

(54 Posts)
Imperfect27 Wed 13-Sep-17 09:15:23

Having recently completed the advertising survey for over 50s, I was reminded that we are so often stereotyped - not least in the humour department. This got me to thinking about what we find really funny - I am sure there will be a diverse range of responses - which will further illustrate we are not a homogenous, age-defined, brain-declining bunch!

Things that have made me laugh out loud recently have been ...

Clever wordplay and definite 'naughtiness' on Gransnet - I do love funny - and still kind - to-ing and fro-ing here.

Gifting my DH ' Game of Thrones Series 1 DVD as a birthday present (missed it on TV, but it has been highly recommended to him by several like-minded friends) only to have him describe it as 'Lord of the Rings with tits' in my hearing. When I told DD1 of this, she seemed horrified for a moment, said "Euuugh, that's about children! " and then corrected herself with "Oh no, I was thinking of Lord of the Flies!"(There's a good literacy teacher for you!) And yes, I did tell her that her generation haven't invented sex (a line I stole from my own MIL!)

When I am texting and the word 'lovely' gets change to 'lively' because of predictive text - adds a bit of spice to several messages!

C'mon then - what about you? grin

MissAdventure Sun 17-Sep-17 14:14:42

Same for me, sliver.
Many thanks.
Trombone x grin

Lisalou Sun 17-Sep-17 17:00:41

I forgot to mention Phoenix! Thank you Imperfect, I didnt think it was, but you start wondering when comedian after comedian just DOESNT make you laugh.
Aside from the swearing (lets face it, Dave Allen made the air turn blue, and he had me in stitches) I think one of the problems I find with some, is that they appear to be laughing AT the public, not with them - but maybe that's just me.
Take the English Comedian of the year, Nick Page. Sorry, not for me.

PamelaJ1 Sun 17-Sep-17 20:59:27

Lots of the above make me laugh but I bought a couple of birthday cards last week that made me laugh out loud in the shop.
I hope the recipients enjoy them. The card designers are so good at observing us all.