Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do you rinse ?

(148 Posts)
grannysue05 Fri 15-Sep-17 17:44:20

Yesterday had a dear friend to tea and we decided to wash up by hand as the dishwasher is temporarly out of use.
She said, 'You dry as you know where everything goes in your kitchen, and I'll wash."
She washed in hot soapy suds and put the dishes on the drainer.
I always rinse in hot water.
My friend said this was not necessary, as the suds drain off on the draining board.
Or , if you dry, the suds are cleaned off by the tea towel.
So ...GN's what do you do .... do you RINSE ?

CherryHatrick Tue 26-Sep-17 12:49:51

JackyB Those cupboards are quite common in Spain as well.

michel55 Tue 26-Sep-17 10:56:26

I agree I always rinse after hand washing plates etc ... I don't understand why you would not do it . I also always use the dishwasher on very hot setting

Hilaryb Tue 19-Sep-17 22:30:05

If you don't rinse, you will surely have a soapy residue mixed with an increasingly concentrated "soup" of whatever was on the dishes you are washing up. So of course you should rinse.

devongirl Tue 19-Sep-17 13:11:35

I think I'm right in saying that it's better not to dry with a tea-towel, as these tend to host germs?

JackyB Tue 19-Sep-17 12:28:33

(Sorry, the second link doesn't work)

JackyB Tue 19-Sep-17 11:58:35

In Switzerland many kitchen cupboards over the sink are open at the bottom - you just stand the plates in to drip dry.

These are the best pictures I can find.

www.schmidt-kuechen-saarland.de/files/sk/cnt/service-kleine-raffinessen/gut-durchdacht.jpg

media-cdn.holidaycheck.com/w_1280,h_720,c_fit,q_80/ugc/images/97fadd25-bf50-307f-a7cb-2a5b8a6638f7

ooonana Tue 19-Sep-17 11:43:43

Yes Tegan2 that's what I was told a while ago. Washing up liquid is thought to be carcinogenic, maybe it's derived from petrochemicals ? Anyway, I always rinse in hot water and rarely dry up.

rascal Mon 18-Sep-17 23:27:37

No never rinse.

Saggi Mon 18-Sep-17 21:14:43

I always rinse.... but no need to dry you lot! Leave them ten minutes and put away... I hate T-Towels.

MagicWriter2016 Mon 18-Sep-17 19:53:50

Rinse, as I have occasionally got the taste of washing liquid off clean crockery, although that was back in the day before we used dishwashers. Maybe washing up liquid has improved and doesn't leave an after taste lol!

JackyB Mon 18-Sep-17 11:59:38

Surely the dishwasher washes at temperatures that you can't possibly achieve when hand washing. At least 65 degrees - germs will surely capitulate at those temperatures. Even when the machine has finished, the plates are still too hot to touch.

So, handwashing finishes with a rinse in hot water, I would say. At my mother's - where it takes about 20 minutes for the water in the kitchen to start running hot, and she doesn't have a dishwasher, I often scrub everything and stand it on the draining board, then pour a kettle of boiling water over the plates to rinse them.

Glasses I rinse under the tap when it finally runs hot, as they would crack if boiling water was poured on them.

MawBroon Mon 18-Sep-17 11:47:18

Tch
grin[grin

mywaldren Mon 18-Sep-17 11:09:55

Yes, I always rinse crockery and cutlery from the dirty soapy water. They don't then dry with that soapy film that is left if you don't rinse.

Imperfect27 Mon 18-Sep-17 10:22:18

Tch.

merlotgran Mon 18-Sep-17 10:14:21

Oh please don't start a thread on darning.

I never could get the hang of it. grin

Imperfect27 Mon 18-Sep-17 10:08:16

Darn! grin

merlotgran Mon 18-Sep-17 10:00:53

We've done all those, Imperfect grin

Imperfect27 Mon 18-Sep-17 09:57:23

Well for a start there's:

'How do you fold your washing?'
'Iron or just hang?'
'Which bleach?'
'How do you get stains out of whites?'
'Which wash-powder do you use?'

Come on Maw - so many choices ... the possibilities are endless. I really can't think why you haven't got started! grin

MawBroon Mon 18-Sep-17 09:29:53

I would happily start another imperfect, but which domestic task to choose?
Given that most of us do what we have been doing for 40 odd years, I can't see I would have much to gain or indeed offer smile

loopyloo Mon 18-Sep-17 09:25:58

With teeth you should not rinse much too, in order to leave the toothpaste to protect your precious pearls.

Imperfect27 Mon 18-Sep-17 08:33:54

No Maw ...6! grin Yes, I was bored this morning.

If a thread doesn't suit your tastes, start another ... I have done that several times lately, but am tired of my own voice and suspect others are too. But GN is what we make it.

MissAdventure Mon 18-Sep-17 08:13:52

Dishwashers are not necessarily any more healthy than washing by hand. There have been put forward a connection to fungus type lung conditions caused by them, amongst numerous other things.

DanniRae Mon 18-Sep-17 07:59:06

Jane - Your last point about 'life being too short' - Well said!!

MawBroon Mon 18-Sep-17 07:57:53

TWO pages of this?

Imperfect27 Mon 18-Sep-17 07:31:49

We do not have a dishwasher - usually only two of us at home so when the last one broke we did not replace it and haven't missed it. The only thing I miss is how clean a DW
makes glass.

I rinse pre-wash as I can't bear washing up in what becomes a murky soup and I keep the cold tap running in our double sink and swish again to get rid of excess bubbles. We usually leave things to drain unless we have visitors coming - then I like a nice uncluttered look!