Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Sentimental value?

(25 Posts)
NotTooOld Sat 23-Sep-17 18:27:36

Salmo and Charleygirl - thank you! How ignorant of me. As it happens I googled Aberfeldy after I made that post and found out my mistake. Still don't know why Grandfather kept the tickets, though.

Nandalot Sat 23-Sep-17 18:25:50

Apart from photos, it is a small inexpensive St Christopher with a broken chain that I keep in a zipped part of my purse.
When my husband and I first met we went out a few times before we had to go on our holidays with our families. After not seeing him for about four weeks I had decided to 'chuck' him. On learning that he had brought me a present (said St. Christopher) from his holiday he got a stay of execution. We celebrate our Golden Wedding next January.

KatyK Sat 23-Sep-17 17:49:55

Our hundreds of family photos are of real sentimental value.

travelsafar Sat 23-Sep-17 17:39:32

I have a double bedspread crocheted by my mum on my bed.It is all the colours of the rainbow and doesnt go with anything in my bedroom but it is there on cold nights keeping me warm and folded up at the foot of the bed on warmer nights. Its like having a cuddle from my mum everynight when i go to sleep. It will be passed to my daughter when the time comes, a true family heirloom!!!

Charleygirl Sat 23-Sep-17 17:20:00

Salmo you beat me to it re Aberfeldy!

Around 1980 when I was still married, the small pieces of jewellery my parents had were taken in a burglary so I was left with zilch. They died in 1979. I have the odd piece of furniture which I cannot part with-a kitchen table which has been on the go since the early 1950's and my computer sits neatly on it.

Salmo Sat 23-Sep-17 16:39:00

NotTooOld Aberfeldy is in Scotland, North of Perth.

My brass 2 pan baking scales are my favourite, or at any rate most used sentimental possession. They came to me from my mother, before her they belonged to my fathers uncles mother in law. They were made by a POW & I've never seen any like quite them. Functional as well as lovely, though a beast to clean.

ginny Sat 23-Sep-17 14:24:11

My Mums cake knife.
My Dads 'Smurff' , a small plastic figure that he always had in the car and which now lives in mine.
A small wooden heart that was the first thing DGS bought me all by himself.
My wedding ring.
An essay that DD1 wrote about me.
A card from the bouquet DD2 sent me on her 21 st. Birthday that says 'Thank you for having me'.
A number of little notes left around the house by DD3 with loving messages on them.

NotTooOld Sat 23-Sep-17 14:00:18

I have a tiny silver cigarette case which belonged to my grandfather and has his initials on it. Inside is a short length of silver chain, maybe a watch chain, not sure, and two return bus or tram tickets dated 23 October 187? (can't read the last number). On the back is printed 'A McKercher, Breadalbane Garage, Aberfeldy'.

My grandfather lived all his life in London so perhaps he was on a day trip to Wales. I don't know but the tickets were obviously of sentimental value to him. If anyone knows anything about the Welsh garage I would love to hear from them.

By the way, it turned out that the initials engraved on the cigarette case are not the initials given to him at birth. But that's another story.

nonnasusie Sat 23-Sep-17 13:18:56

I had my mother's wedding ring and my wedding ring from late 1st husband made into one and wear it on my right hand ring finger. It will barely come off now!

goldengirl Sat 23-Sep-17 11:44:54

I have a carving of the Three Monkeys - see no evil etc - which belonged to my Dad. That and my teddy given to me when I was around 2. There are other items but at present these are the 2 I feel especially sentimental about.

KatyK Sat 23-Sep-17 10:26:03

I have nothing handed down. The only thing I am sentimental about is a picture of me sitting on stage with the Beatles. I suppose that's sadbut it means the world to me.

Granny23 Sat 23-Sep-17 10:16:42

Because I never wear rings, I passed on my MIL's rings to eldest DD and my DGM's rings to younger DD (my sister has and wears my DM's rings.
When DD2 decided to get married (after 18 years together) she wanted to wear her GGM's engagement ring on the day. It is very beautiful, like ANNO's a gold band with 5 diamonds. As 1 of the diamonds was a little loose, DD took it to the jeweller's, who was quite excited to see it. Apparently, the ring was made in Dublin in the 1850's, which confirms the Irish ancestry of my Grandfather (who died before I was born) and is very valuable - something we did not expect given that GF was from poor farming stock and made his living as a tanner. We can only assume that this ring was HIS Grandmother's, passed down through the family and given by my GF to his bride.

DD2 wears it with pride and it will pass on to her DD.

BBbevan Sat 23-Sep-17 10:06:47

I lost my engagement ring in our first house move. It was given to me from DHs grandmother and I loved it. I have spent many years looking in antique shops etc for a similar one but no luck so far. My other precious things are two small 3D porcelain models of my GDs made by my very artistic DS.

annodomini Sat 23-Sep-17 09:39:16

My Scottish Granny's engagement ring rarely leaves my finger although yesterday I had to leave it off to have my hands scanned. She was a tiny woman and I had to have the ring expanded to fit my larger finger. Inside, it is inscribed: DP MSG May 1904. It's not hugely valuable but is 18ct gold with a row of five very sparkly little diamonds. Of my two GDs, I don't know which will inherit it - maybe if I ever have a GGD, that will present a solution.

Auntieflo Sat 23-Sep-17 09:30:13

I have a marcasite necklace that my mum gave me on our 25th wedding anniversary. It had been given to her, by her sister, on her own 25th anniversary. Inside the box is a little handwritten note explaing this and asking me to pass it on to my daughter. She had her 25th anniversary, 6 years ago, she knows I have it safe, but at the moment don't want to part with it. She will get it, eventually, but as it's worth is only sentimental, I didn't want it to get lost, and the handwriting is another link to my mum.

gillybob Sat 23-Sep-17 09:21:56

I have recently just acquired my late mums engagement ring. It's a little too big for me so I am am having to wear it inside my wedding ring just incase I lose it. I have never had an engagement ring before (would have loved one) so I am finding myself keep looking at it and touching it. I am sure my brave, selfless mum will be sending me good vibes through her precious (not valuable) ring that almost never left her hand.

Greyduster Sat 23-Sep-17 08:42:52

I don't have anything of my mother's - it all went to my sisters who made the decision that I wouldn't be interested in it. But I do have the old brown Denby coffee pot that she used to make my father's coffee in. I was allowed a tiny sip when I was young. It's not pretty, but has graced every kitchen I've had and the other week, DH nearly gave it up for a tabletop sale until I threw a wobbler. He has no soul!

ninathenana Sat 23-Sep-17 08:38:55

Unfortunately I lost some precious jewellery including dad's wedding ring and a necklace that grannie often wore in a burglary about 15 yrs ago.
I too have tree decorations made by the children and a small photo frame D made at brownies.
H made a coffee table at school which we used when first married. It's well done but a dated style now of course. He wont part with it and it lives in the cupboard under the stairs.

Imperfect27 Sat 23-Sep-17 08:25:03

Lovely thread.

I have clay things my children made at school - my kitchen windowsill is the 'gallery' so they are in my vision daily.

Some Christmas tree decs the children made.

My mother's rings - not valuable, but simply hers. of course. DD will have them in due course.

Lisalou Sat 23-Sep-17 08:15:10

I think the idea of having a replica made is a lovely one.

cornergran Fri 22-Sep-17 20:50:40

Oh callgirl, I'm so sorry that heart disappeared.

Mine is my Mum's engagement ring. She died 27 years ago. The ring is on a very thin band, it's pretty fragile. I wear it to family occasions she would have loved or wanted to be at. So she has come, via her ring, to weddings a funeral or three, Christmas and birthday gatherings, a few places she especially loved, anything really.

I've no idea if it has any value. I suspect not much but it means the world to me.

Greyduster Fri 22-Sep-17 20:48:38

The only thing I would be distraught if I lost is my father's Army cap badge. He went through the war with it, and said it was the only thing from that period that he valued. Not bothered about his medals - just his cap badge. So it is lodged with my husband's cap badge (coincidentally they were in the same regiment) and will be passed, with all their medals, to my son, to add to his cap badge and his medals!

callgirl1 Fri 22-Sep-17 20:42:25

When we`d only been married a couple of years, my husband made me a very small brass heart, on it he engraved
DMS
x
JLS

I kept that little heart for years, always inside a purse that I didn`t use, then during our last house move, 32 years ago, the purse and its contents disappeared. He offered to make another one, but I said no, it wouldn`t have been the same.

Welshwife Fri 22-Sep-17 20:35:47

I have two precious things if no monetary value at all - one is a clay rabbit which my son made at school when he was 6 or 7 - he painted it to look like his rabbit - an Old English and it is made of the clay with fibres which does not need firing. The other is a little Playmobile character which belonged to my oldest two grandchildren - they were playing with the playmobile and they had this character of a grandmother - grey hair, specs and wearing purple. I arrived wearing a purple jumper and they went into hysterics - it started as a private joke but they then said they had a model of me and gave me the toy. I still have it in my dresser cupboard.

grannyactivist Fri 22-Sep-17 20:12:29

What has sentimental value to you - and why?

I don't really get attached to things, but I have one very inexpensive ring that has great sentimental value and two daughters who often joke about which one of them will get it when I die! I've actually thought about seeing if I can get it copied so that neither of them knows which one is the original. Failing that I've thought about asking them to draw straws!

The story of the ring:
Forty odd years ago I was a young army wife living in married quarters in Germany. I heard that a neighbour (an acquaintance) was quite ill; she had young children and her husband was away on posting so I called round to see if I could help in any way. For the next little while I was there daily and took care of the children, dog, shopping, cooking etc; it was quite awkward because I didn't really know her - plus she was ill and weak and at times needed personal care. (I was later in a similar situation and I was sent to hospital and my children were fostered out to strangers.) When she recovered she showed me three rings that she'd been left by her late mother and insisted that I take one - I really didn't want to, but it obviously mattered to her that I did, so I chose the least expensive one. I've worn it ever since because it was obviously a very precious item to give away.