Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Botty burps or windy pops

(70 Posts)
grannysue05 Sat 30-Sep-17 11:52:03

On another thread today phoenix mentions botty burps and windy pops (yes....I know....)
Well, these phrases are EXACTLY what my four GC's call this bodily function.
I know that all families have to give small children suitable words to describe such things.
Got me thinking about what other families use to describe things for the tinies.

Greyduster Sun 01-Oct-17 08:29:47

I have always hated the word 'trump'; it is widely used in GS's household, but we 'blow off' in this house, too, CD!

StKilda Sun 01-Oct-17 09:16:14

When I was a primary school teacher, we called them bottom burps.

rizlett Sun 01-Oct-17 09:16:23

We had poomps in childhood but my partner had freddies and no idea where it originated despite their being an uncle freddie. [he wasn't a farter.]

GrumpyOldBat Sun 01-Oct-17 09:23:28

There are different grades and varieties - 'fart' for the everyday version; SBD for the sneaky ones; 'window rattlers' for the sonic boomers; and 'what the hell is that, what died and I can't breathe - biological warfare alert' if my son us involved (since he was a baby, and he is now 25, that boy has produced rancid gases).

hicaz46 Sun 01-Oct-17 09:32:33

When I was young ( many years ago) fart was a 'swear' word but it seems common nowadays as all my GC use it as well as the more common trump.

gillybob Sun 01-Oct-17 09:33:04

My 3 all say "farts" too. Little one takes great delight in producing a particularly noisy one . Horrible little boy . smile

lexigran Sun 01-Oct-17 09:40:07

We called them pumps and at school people said "who's let off?"My DGD who is 20 months old says "I farted!"
I agree with merlot that "trump" would be appropriate these days grin

Kim19 Sun 01-Oct-17 09:48:58

I seriously dislike the f word. Think it's crude and unnecessary when we have so many gentler alternatives. No wonder children giggle. Sad, methinks........

Nelliemaggs Sun 01-Oct-17 09:59:49

This is not for the easily offended.
Anybody remember Doc Cox of the That's Life BBC programme in the 80s. He was a local resident and friend of a friend and I bought his record which he produced under the name Ivor Biggun blush This was the farting song and we called farts 'trouser coughs' for a long time. Like I said, don't click if you are easily offended grin
m.youtube.com/watch?v=AiZPqTfCBis

grandtanteJE65 Sun 01-Oct-17 10:00:37

We were not allowed to call them anything when I was small! We were taught to say either " I beg your pardon" or "excuse me" when we passed wind, which was the term my parents used.

I was mortified when I, obeying instructions, said "excuse me" because it happened to me when visiting a school friend and her mother said "Why dear, what did you do wrong?" not having noticed anything, and I had to explain!

At school we called them "gas bags" when no teachers were around.

Lupatria Sun 01-Oct-17 10:08:16

i just tell my grandaughters that i'm having problems with my exhaust pipe [i think it's wearing out]. they fall about laughing.

MissAdventure Sun 01-Oct-17 10:08:48

We weren't allowed to talk about such things either.

pollyperkins Sun 01-Oct-17 10:11:19

At home we referred to rude noises and rude smells when I was little but at school it was called blowing off (or letting off.).
Gcs when small talked about bottom noises with much giggling. I think some of them say trump now (oldest , a teenager now, calls them Donalds!)
I dislike fart - it sounds vulgar to me but I think some other GC from another family say that.

Diggingdoris Sun 01-Oct-17 10:11:32

I grew up calling them 'fluffs' as well, but when my children were small we called them' pop offs.'

juani56 Sun 01-Oct-17 10:14:11

Ponkalary

maryhoffman37 Sun 01-Oct-17 10:18:27

What's wrong with farts and burps? Can't bear the twee euphemisms.

JackyB Sun 01-Oct-17 10:45:00

I would never have used the word with my parents but DS1did once when he was about 5. Stunned my DF to silence.

Did Nelly the elephant have problems with her digestive system?

downtoearth Sun 01-Oct-17 10:51:25

We fart as well

downtoearth Sun 01-Oct-17 10:52:34

And should it be a productive one the word sharted is used

Outtawork Sun 01-Oct-17 10:57:21

my 14 grandson shouts safety, just too late by then

Craftycat Sun 01-Oct-17 10:58:03

You can't call them Trumps. How could you ever sing Nellie the Elephant to them again!!!

Caro1954 Sun 01-Oct-17 11:07:51

Farts here - but apart from DGD announcing each and every one, we don't talk about them all that much! wink

Rosina Sun 01-Oct-17 11:10:00

Called 'puffs' in our family (for the children). If any adult commits this ghastly social gaffe then it is ignored tactfully. (!) I also hate the 'f' word as it sounds rather crude - and I am not of Jane Austen nature, just don't like it.

Sheilasue Sun 01-Oct-17 11:54:48

My dad always said blow-offs, so that what we call it.

MissAdventure Sun 01-Oct-17 11:56:50

I'm such a child at times! grin